Advice

ddaj

We're planing our honeymoon and are seriously thinking to book a cruise. We've never been on a cruise before. We're interested to go on the Pride of America from San Fransisco to Hawaii. Does anyone know anything about it, I know it's a new ship but any comments you've heard?? We also don't know what's the best way to book a cruise, any recomendations.

THANKS!!!

Dan

To be quite honest with you, I would not book this cruise. I'm sure it will eventually be a nice cruise and I have no problem with NCL. Just a few observations from cruising for a few years. 1. New ships don't always sail on the planned date, there can be schedule changes at the last minute. We had this happen to us for our first cruise, we booked a year in advance and the ship was delayed by several months. It would be awful to have your honeymoon cancelled at the last minute. 2. The staff is not alway real organized the first few cruises, they are still working out the "bugs" on a new ship. This can affect food, service and customer service. 3. If there are problems, you can be assured to be sailing with a lot of unhappy passengers, even if your experience is a happy one, it is a letdown to be around a bunch of whiners.

Some people love maiden voyages and some lines are capable of putting together a pleasant cruise, but I've never read that to be the case with NCL. I would love to sail this ship, in Hawaii, but would wait until it has been sailing the itinerary for at least 3 months before booking. Your honeymoon should be a special time, if your heart is set on Hawaii, do a land trip or sail on the Pride of Aloha.

OK, now you have one opinion, I'm sure there will be more.

I agree with many of Kathy's comments. My suggestion would be for you to find a good Travel Agent that you could sit down and talk to. I personally like an agent I can talk to personally as opposed to an online presence. Rest assured that you will love cruising, but be warned it is habit forming :).

I am 12 and have been on 14 cruises. Four of those cruises were on NCL the first ones weren't that bad but the last on was terrible. The food and service was terrible. Never again will we cruise NCL. If you are leaving from a coastal port I would suggest going to Alaska possibly on Holland America. Holland America is one of my favorite lines because of its smaller more traditional feeling. Also if you would like to break away from the usual Caribbean honeymoon. I would suggest going to New England. Most people think It is cold there but actually it is very warm during the summer and very interesting. I especially enjoyed seeing the sites of Boston on one of our cruises 3 years ago. Good luck and happy cruising. Once you try it you'll be hooked.

Katie :)

Archived