Difference between Princess Snorkel excursions on St. Thomas?

red4u2

Hi all, just booked a cruise on the Ruby and I have been to Trunk Bay three times, thinking of doing one of the snorkeling trips to Turtle cove on St Thomas through Princess and they have two excursions that seem very simiar, One is the Castaway Girl shipwreck cove and snorkel which is three hours, but also says that you snorkel with the sea turtles and the other is the Turtle cove Catamaran snorkel which is three and a half hours, both are the same price, can anyone advise what the differance are between the two?

any help would be great!!

thanks!!

Red

Hi all, just booked a cruise on the Ruby and I have been to Trunk Bay three times, thinking of doing one of the snorkeling trips to Turtle cove on St Thomas through Princess and they have two excursions that seem very simiar, One is the Castaway Girl shipwreck cove and snorkel which is three hours, but also says that you snorkel with the sea turtles and the other is the Turtle cove Catamaran snorkel which is three and a half hours, both are the same price, can anyone advise what the differance are between the two?

any help would be great!!

thanks!!

Red

According to Cruise Personalizer, the differences are:

Castaway Girl, the longer trip, spends 15 minutes more "free time" at Shipwreck Cove. The shorter trip visits Turtle Cove.

Both sites are at St Thomas's Buck Island. I mention the latter because there's a Buck Island at St Croix.

From the Castaway Girl trip description:

After an exhilarating sail on the crystal-clear waters of the Caribbean, the Captain will drop anchor off Buck Island. The friendly, experienced crew and instructors will provide a briefing and assistance in the water as they snorkel with you, pointing out the marine life and the famous wartime shipwreck.

Snorkeling equipment and a snorkel vest are provided. You'll spend approximately 90 minutes exploring coral reefs filled with tropical fish, sea animals, and turtles, and the wartime shipwreck of the "Catanza C" 25 feet below the surface. On your return cruise, you'll enjoy complimentary tropical fruit punch drinks, the famous "Castaway Girl" Rum Punch, and other refreshments and snacks as you listen to lively Caribbean music.

From the "Turtle Cove" trip description:

Our 90 minute stay at Turtle Cove" includes orientation and gearing up with snorkeling equipment and a snorkel vest. Your guides take you on an unforgettable marine life adventure. If you'd like to step it up a notch, power snorkeling is available as an upgrade. A "stairway to the sea" allows easy access to and from the water. Once below, you'll witness tropical fish, colorful living coral reefs and green sea turtles gliding along in their natural habitat grazing on sea grasses.

If you prefer to stay onboard, the vessel affords spacious, stroll around sunbathing decks and a large, comfortable canopied cockpit for those who prefer the shade. Lively Caribbean music and beverages, light snacks set the stage for a delightful cruise back to the dock. Also included are a personal "pirate" tattoos, and complimentary website photos to cherish for years to come.

We did the Turtle Cove Catamaran Sail and Snorkel STT-815 this past April. Even though it was overcast and a little rainy, we had a blast! One of the guys was a great guide in the water, pointing out the different sea creatures. We saw lots of turtles and stingrays. On the way home they play caribbean music and have snacks and rum punch. It wasn't fancy, but we had fun, and it didn't take up the whole day.

We did the Turtle Cove Catamaran Sail and Snorkel STT-815 this past April. Even though it was overcast and a little rainy, we had a blast! One of the guys was a great guide in the water, pointing out the different sea creatures. We saw lots of turtles and stingrays. On the way home they play caribbean music and have snacks and rum punch. It wasn't fancy, but we had fun, and it didn't take up the whole day.

Thanks you! that one reason why we are looking into it, it will leave time for other things, Meagns Bay or shopping... just trying to decide betwen the two.

MY DH and myself did the turtle cove power snorkel through Princess a couple of years ago. We absolutely loved it, although the power snorkel was not really necessary.. fun, but not necessary. If I were to do it again I would skip the power snorkel (it is just a little motorized properller thing). We saw tons of turtles.

I believe the difference might just be the ship. I would take a look at the pictures that are posted along with the descriptions on the cruise personalizer, or videos if they have them. That might shed a little more light.

MY DH and myself did the turtle cove power snorkel through Princess a couple of years ago. We absolutely loved it, although the power snorkel was not really necessary.. fun, but not necessary. If I were to do it again I would skip the power snorkel (it is just a little motorized properller thing). We saw tons of turtles.

I believe the difference might just be the ship. I would take a look at the pictures that are posted along with the descriptions on the cruise personalizer, or videos if they have them. That might shed a little more light.

I agree about the power snorkel. We paid extra for that and it really wasn't necessary. It was actually kind of a pain holding it while looking at stuff. The catamaran we were on had the word "CAT" on it if that helps.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=79351

People at our table- fun people and experienced snorkelers really disliked their experience in St. Thomas, Sounds like you are looking at the same one. Above is the link to the review.

so that was the castaway girl tour. good to know as i've been thinking about doing this one and on the fence about it. i'm not a drinker either and this is the second review i saw that seemed to indicate the party boat atmosphere. fine if that's what you want but i think i'll do something else.

i have been to st thomas once and took the turtle cove half day tour. my goal was to snorkel for the first time and see turtles. it delivered. the guide was excellent. we took the morning tour and there was less than 20 of us on the catamaran. it was great. the only drawback is the rum punch on the return trip--you've been up early and had an excursion and don't realize that you've had 3 punches and its not even noon yet! my traveling companions had to nap when we got back to the ship. :p

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=79351

People at our table- fun people and experienced snorkelers really disliked their experience in St. Thomas, Sounds like you are looking at the same one. Above is the link to the review.

Wow Thanks!! that is one that i was looking at, from everyones input i think i will just go with the Turtle cove tour, im interested in the turles not the rum punch, i would rather have nice cold water and then a yummy bushwacker at the bar with the donkey in front of it at the pier, the best drink in the history of the world IMHO!!

thanks everyone!!!

Wow Thanks!! that is one that i was looking at, from everyones input i think i will just go with the Turtle cove tour, im interested in the turles not the rum punch, i would rather have nice cold water and then a yummy bushwacker at the bar with the donkey in front of it at the pier, the best drink in the history of the world IMHO!!

thanks everyone!!!

You may also want to look at the Captain Nautica excursion option. I can't recommend the crew enough and we saw a lot of turtles while snorkeling. :D One of my favorite snorkel excursions ever.

One of the nice things about the Turtle Cove excursion is that it does have easy access back onto the boat. If I recall correctly, they had the big drop-down ladder at the front of the ship as well as two ladders at the back. This makes for easy access for everyone.

I, too, like the Bushwackers, but try the Painkillers they offer on the tour. They are good ... just don't drink too many. They pack a punch!

Archived