[B]Can You Get A Deal Booking At Port When Ship Is Leaving?[/B]

A friend told me yesterday some co-workers have showed up at the port and if the ship has lots of empty cabins they can book on spot for dirt cheap. Have you ever done this and is it possible?

Perhaps that was before 9-11 , now that doesn't happen , the ship has to have a passanger manifest a certain amount of hours prior to departure , it is the law ( homeland security) Also for any cruise going to a foreign port you need a passport now. So if you want to get a cabin last minute you probably would have to be may be 4 - 5 days prior, not sure .You can call the cruise line or TA to see if any cabins are available and you might get a deal or it may be way more expensive, depends on the ship the itenirary , etc. May be someone on the boards here knows exactly. If I am wrong on this please someone correct me.

Cori

While it was pre 9/11, when we were stationed in PR you could go to the port the night before a cruise and ask if they had any vacancies. If they did you could get it for the cost of food plus a service fee.

I imagine that 9/11 manifest rules have changed the practice but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask if you are close to a port and can travel at the last minute.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived