Weather question about sailing out of New Jersey on the Explorer

I've been on ten cruises before. We are going on Explorer of the Seas next February out of New Jersey. I was wondering for the two days it takes to get to the Caribbean do you need winter clothes or is the inside of the ship warm enough? Also, is it boring because you can't lay by the pool or do anything on the outside of the ship? I appreciate any feedback from people who have experienced this cruise. Thanks!!! :D

We went on the 9-night in December last year. Plan on spending your first and last sea days indoors; it is too cold out to do any pool/water activities. While it is comfortable inside the ship most people had long sleeves on. By the morning of the second sea day on your way down to the Caribbean it is warm enough to be outside at the pool. Only thing that might impact that is if there is a cold snap down south...

No it's not at all boring- they anticipate there will be people indoors on those days so the day is packed with activities listed in the Compass.

We went on the 9-night in December last year. Plan on spending your first and last sea days indoors; it is too cold out to do any pool/water activities. While it is comfortable inside the ship most people had long sleeves on. By the morning of the second sea day on your way down to the Caribbean it is warm enough to be outside at the pool. Only thing that might impact that is if there is a cold snap down south...

No it's not at all boring- they anticipate there will be people indoors on those days so the day is packed with activities listed in the Compass.

Thanks, Cathy, your information was very helpful! :)

Jayne

Nitro, I agree with Wilda. I sailed a 12 night earlier this year in Feb. It depends on the weather in Bayonne and along the east coast. It was 45 and sunny the day I departed. I wore a sweater with long sleeve shirt underneath and I was fine when I was outside. On the first sea day down, the cool temps coupled with the wind on the decks made it too cold to be outside. Inside the ship was normal room temp - I wore short sleeves. By the second sea day, it was in the 60's and getting warmer through the day and alot of people were outside. On the way back, it was cold and rainy on both sea days so everyone was inside.

In normal weather, I think it's safe to assume at that time of year that the first sea day down and last sea day back will be too cold to be outside. Conversely, the second sea day down and first sea day back will be warm enough to be outside. But a cold front or storm will change that.

It was my first time sailing such an itinerary and being inside for a full day +. There are normal daily activities, but I found it a little slow at times. Unfortunately I didn't bring anything to read assuming I could find something in the library, but it was poorly stocked, so bring your own reading material.

I'm scheduled for a 10 day in January next year, so it will likely be a little colder.

You are outside as follows during the embarkation process. You drop off luggage outside and drive around a corner to park in an outside lot and it is a less than 2 minute walk (outside) to the check in line. The initial check in line is under a tent but much of the side of the tent is open and exposed, so while you have cover overhead, the temp under the tent is the outside temp and you'll feel wind. I was in that line for no more than 10 minutes, then you move inside where it's protected and room temp (more or less). In total I was outside for no more than 15 minutes. After check in you again go outside for a minute just to board a small bus for the 1 minute ride to the ship. Check the forecast before you go. If cold with wind chill and/or precip, then dress accordingly. I suggest layers versus one heavy coat, so you can peel off as necessary and pack away easier.

Also, since the lot is outside, if it snows while you're away, you could return and find your car buried under snow and stuck behind a pile from the snow plow. Pack a shovel, boots, coat, hat and gloves in the trunk in case you have to dig out. :(

Archived