Hawaii and taxis

uppitycats

We are contemplating a trip to Hawaii. I use a wheelchair full time. I can transfer into a regular sedan car -- but can't do steps up into a bus or van...

so I'm looking at things to do in the various ports, and wondering about the availability of taxis? Hilo, in particular, to get to the National Park, and another island (sorry..forgotten which one, now! :o) to the Polynesian Cultural Center?

(Yes, I know taxis are way expensive, and presumably the ship tours are supposed to provide wheelchair accessible vehicles upon request. But I know us .. we'll get to these two places and want to stay MUCH longer than is allotted on the excursion. And renting our own car isn't an option -- I only drive cars with hand controls, my husband is too old to be driving unfamiliar roads...)

Try renting a van from wheelchair getaways http://www.wheelchairgetaways.com/listings_by_state.php, you can probably rent one with hand controls. We used them when we flew to Las Vegas and than drove to the Grand Canyon. They met us at the airport on arrival and departure. I'll bet they would meet you at the cruise terminal.

Try renting a van from wheelchair getaways http://www.wheelchairgetaways.com/listings_by_state.php, you can probably rent one with hand controls. We used them when we flew to Las Vegas and than drove to the Grand Canyon. They met us at the airport on arrival and departure. I'll bet they would meet you at the cruise terminal.

Thanks for the link..I'll check in to them for sure.

Wheelchair Getaways is VERY expensive by the time you put in the rental charges and the delivery and pick-up charges they add on in Hawaii.

We have taken ship's excursions with lift equipped buses from Hilo (Volcano National Park) and in Oahu, as well as Nawiliwili (Kauai) and had a good time, plenty of time at each stop, and significantly cheaper than renting a van from WC Getaways (have done that in the past). You do have to be VERY explicit about what your needs are when talking with the excursion people, ideally prior to your trip (by phone).

If you really want to rent a car, Avis can get you hand controls with advance notice (in fact they guarantee it nationally with 24 hours notice).

Splinter, I'd really rather not rent a car either...took me long enough to get used to the hand controls on my car without trying to learn others and new roads either.

Seems like your Hawaiian cruises were on HAL? Were they at all helpful? You said you talked by phone with the tour people...did HAL provide their numbers, or how did you find them?

Archived