First Time Snorkeling

rjd63

Want a few hints as to when and where would be a good place to snorkle for the first time. This is the one thing for sure that wife wants to do/try on a cruise. We have not picked a cruise destination or line . Trying to cut the option list down.

Thanks

bahamas..!! ships usually run from miami to nassau to freeport to half moon cay or someplace like that.. i like that route, everywhere is pretty.. i have only sailed carnival, but will be sailing norwegian in 50 days :D i am so pumped..!! i recommend booking snorkeling w/ your ship if you take one.. there is always at least one or two snorkeling tours w/ reputable companies thru the ship.. i visited the bahama for the first time in november of last year and stopped in nassau, bahamas on the way.. i love snorkeling, so i chose the seahorse sail/snorkel.. i definetly recommend these guys, they are friendly, safe, courteous, and very entertaining.. you powerboat out on the catamaran to a secluded beach to snorkel.. various points of interest are pointed out on the way over.. i recommend you sit with the driver.. he will point out things he won't announce over the intercom.. plenty of fish, sea earchins, squid, coral etc. to see once you stop to snorkel - you stop for approx 1 hour.. rum/punch drinks on the way back were free (incl in the price of excurs) and very stiff, as well, which is a perk for anybody.. after snorkeling, you sail leisurely back to port, plenty of time to drink/mingle/relax.. all in all, well worth the $52 paid..

hope your decision making process goes well and hope my info helped..

Want a few hints as to when and where would be a good place to snorkle for the first time. This is the one thing for sure that wife wants to do/try on a cruise. We have not picked a cruise destination or line . Trying to cut the option list down.

Thanks

The best snorkeling is in the Western Caribbean. Roatan (the best), Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize are all excellent. All but Cozumel have good snorkeling from shore. Hurricane Wilma destroyed Coz's near shore reefs, but boat snorkeling the off shore reefs is still first rate.

I agree with Stevesan about the Western Caribbean having the best snorkeling...Roatan is the BEST!!

There are some islands in the southern Caribbean that also have good snorkeling....Bonaire, Dominica (champagne reef) and St. Lucia come to mind, but if you want a wonderful experience, easy entrance from the beach, shallow water...wonderful reef and perfect for beginners, I would recommend Tabyana Beach in Roatan.

I agree with the two above. Roatan was our favorite. We also snorkeled in Cozumel and Grand Caymans. In Roatan we also went to Tabyana Beach. We hired a taxi for the day. Only $15 per person. The driver also took us to shopping away from the pier. It was great! In the Grand Caymans we rented motor scooters and asked the rental company where we should go. They sent us to a great place! In Cozumel go to the Money Bar. Only a $10 taxi ride and you can rent snorkel equipment there. We brought our own from home so didn't have to worry about that. We love to snorkel! Bring some fish food with you!

Have fun!

Western Caribbean:

Roatan (West Bay beach)...you can snorkel right from the beach area. Grab a cab and go there. We were just there 2 weeks ago and they had rain for 3 days straight. The water was stirred up, but we found that the further you go out, the better the clarity is. For an awesome description on what you can find there, read this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469343

If you want to see some of the pictures I took while there, you can find them here: IMG_5301-600x450.jpg

Cozumel...Chankanaab Awesome snorkeling right from the beach, but you have to walk down the steps in order to enter the water (from several different places) TONS OF FISH! Plus they have some statues out in the water as well that you can swim out to.

Here are some of my pictures from there: IMG_5635-600x194.jpg

Also in Cozumel, the Money Bar comes highly recommended and basically the same thing...walk down the steps into the water for the coral/iron shore.

Eastern:

Sapphire Beach in St Thomas. Snorkeling right off the beach and EXCELLENT.

Here are my pictures: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation/5th-day-St-Thomas/13875332_gPNF6q#1017703050_nhpoV

Also in St Thomas, Coki Beach comes highly recommended.

Archived