Project Sunshine / Radiance Class rumors

cdamion

I suspect the biggest reason we will never see more Radiance class ships is that they simply don't hold enough passengers for Royal's current profit model. Radiance class ships currently hold the fewest passengers (double occupancy) of any of Royal's ships. Which makes them attractive to the guests, but unattractive to the bean counters.

Don't take this as fact, because I really don't know. But I'm almost certain I once heard Radiance Class is the most expensive ship class in RCI to operate. If it's true, I'm sure it's for several reasons....passenger count, gas turbines, etc.

. . . Radiance class ships currently hold the fewest passengers (double occupancy) . . .

I do not believe that is correct. I have seen conflicting numbers for Radiance, but the lowest is a little over 2100. Splendour is right around 2000. [Obviously still much lower than the Voyagers and bigger -- I am sure economy of scale counts for something].

I believe the gas turbines have a lot to do with the cost of operating the Radiance class ships. In fact there was a show a few years ago [may have been about Radiance herself] where they cut a hole in the side of the ship during dry dock to install an additional piston engine primarily to run as a generator while the ship was docked or at anchor because of the inefficiency of the gas turbines in those situations.

but not sure what else this could mean.

With reagrd to "all-weather" I suspect it means that the Central Park and Boardwalk concepts of Oasis class will at the least be modified with a retractable cover or more likely permanently covered. At present Oasis and Allure would not be suitable for locations likely to get snow or even air temp cold enough to damage tropical plants. This greatly restricts their operating locations. A natural light (sunshine?) Promenade would be a good tradeoff.

I do not believe that is correct. I have seen conflicting numbers for Radiance, but the lowest is a little over 2100. Splendour is right around 2000. [Obviously still much lower than the Voyagers and bigger -- I am sure economy of scale counts for something].

I believe the gas turbines have a lot to do with the cost of operating the Radiance class ships. In fact there was a show a few years ago [may have been about Radiance herself] where they cut a hole in the side of the ship during dry dock to install an additional piston engine primarily to run as a generator while the ship was docked or at anchor because of the inefficiency of the gas turbines in those situations.

You're correct, I didn't look closely enough. Splendour is about 1800 double occupancy. Sorry for the misinformation.

Bob

You're correct, I didn't look closely enough. Splendour is about 1800 double occupancy. Sorry for the misinformation.

Bob

It is amazingly difficult to find accurate numbers anymore. I am just nerdy enough to find the numbers interesting. Your point is still well taken, the low passenger count undoubtedly affects the potential profitability of the cruise.

It is amazingly difficult to find accurate numbers anymore. I am just nerdy enough to find the numbers interesting. Your point is still well taken, the low passenger count undoubtedly affects the potential profitability of the cruise.

I agree about it being difficult to get numbers to enable apples to apples comparisons.

I had looked at a website that listed Vision as having 2434 passengers. This turned out to be Vision's max, not double, which is 2000. I went back into my archives and found Royal's fastfact documents, which used to be publically available. Here are Royal's numbers for Vision class, double occupancy:

SP: 1804, LG: 1804, RH: 1998, VI: 2000, GR: 1950, EN: 2252

Bob

Don't take this as fact, because I really don't know. But I'm almost certain I once heard Radiance Class is the most expensive ship class in RCI to operate. If it's true, I'm sure it's for several reasons....passenger count, gas turbines, etc.

The turbine engines on the Radiance class ships have to use a higher grade fuel (and thus more expensive) than the bunker fuel used by the other ships. Though, this difference may become moot once the close-in ships are required to use the cleaner fuel (2014?).

If you're curious here's a link to a comparison between gas turbine and diesel engines in cruise ships: http://www.man-gasturbine.com/files/news/filesof931/0200Gas%20turbines.pdf

tahqa... very interesting reading. I like the style of writing. I was somewhat ammused by the following:

Engine machine rooms are not among the places where

passengers onboard usually spend their leisure time.

Tempted to say "Duh!" but apparently someone in corporate thinks at least some passengers will pay a lot of money to at least get to the engine control room for the All Access Tour.

To be clear, I do not dislike the Radiance ships. Like all RCI ships they have a generally open and airy feeling compared to other ships I have been aboard and I like that.

In answer to this question let me just say I felt more connected to the sea standing on Independence where I took the picture at the end of post #15 above than behind any pane of glass on Jewel or Radiance.

I have not sailed on a Voyager or Oasis class, but as to Independence, this statement is nonsense.

Nonsense? It was an opinion. Settle down, I have not said anything to insult you. I am certainly not the first to state it. If you don't feel that way about the Independence, good for you - then you will also find the Voyager class to be fine.

My point is the focal point of the Freedom & Voyager class is the indoor shopping mall Royal Promenade. The focal point of the Radiance/Vision class is more facing outside (yes, through glass as you mentioned).

All of RCI's ships are very attractive and I wouldn't hesitate to sail any of them. My personal belief (as offensive as it is to you) is that the Radiance class is nicer than the Freedom/Voyager class for my particular tastes.

tahqa... very interesting reading. I like the style of writing. I was somewhat ammused by the following:

Tempted to say "Duh!" but apparently someone in corporate thinks at least some passengers will pay a lot of money to at least get to the engine control room for the All Access Tour.

On last year's repo, we actually received a tour of the engine control room and didn't have to pay what I consider an outrageously high amount for their "all access tour". On our recent TA on the Jewel we received invitations to a bridge tour and a backstage tour as well, neither of which had a fee attached. They did offer the All Access Tour but I don't know how many passengers actually availed themselves of the opportunity to take it,

The turbine engines on the Radiance class ships have to use a higher grade fuel (and thus more expensive) than the bunker fuel used by the other ships. Though, this difference may become moot once the close-in ships are required to use the cleaner fuel (2014?).

If you're curious here's a link to a comparison between gas turbine and diesel engines in cruise ships: http://www.man-gasturbine.com/files/news/filesof931/0200Gas%20turbines.pdf

Thanks for this link, I found the article very interesting.

Bob

Archived