Christmas Eve-what can I expect

NewHere

Evening of sailing perhaps not as much so as Christmas Day evening.

Link to RCI holiday calendar for the year for Allure.

Link

At bottom of the page it says...

We often add special menu items in-keeping with the holiday spirit, so you won't have to miss out on your favorite traditional foods.

Christmas eve will have carolling and a midnight mass. You'll get a special turkey dinner with special menus....can't remember if that was Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (maybe both?).

Santa will drive up to the ship on a boat for the kids.

Lots of decorations. otherwise, not too much.

Oh, and a crapload of Christmas movies on the TVs...repeated, over and over.

Christmas eve will have carolling and a midnight mass. You'll get a special turkey dinner with special menus....can't remember if that was Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (maybe both?).

Santa will drive up to the ship on a boat for the kids.

Lots of decorations. otherwise, not too much.

Oh, and a crapload of Christmas movies on the TVs...repeated, over and over.

And now I'm even more jealous...:)

A number of years ago we were on a Celebrity cruise over Thanksgiving. They offered a turkey dinner in addition to the usual menu. It turned out to be a formal night with the best dinners and no one at the table wanted to pass on the lobster. Our waiter brought us a turkey plate "for the table" even though we had told him not to bother. We were all grateful to have just a bite or two of tradition before digging into own plates.

A bite of turkey with loved ones is consistently what makes the day Thanksgiving for almost everyone. Christmas traditions are far more varied. For many, multiple meals are involved and decorating is important. We brought battery operated tea lites and some fake greenery to make an advent wreath on our TA a few years ago. We even took a small tree with decorations for our room in Cancun a number of years ago. All the gifts came along as hints wrapped in envelopes. Just don't forget the answer key if the hints are too obscure.

We'll be on ALLURE the 18th - 25th - So I think you are boarding on Christmas Day if you are sailing Allure. This will be our 6th Christmas cruise - we LOVE being at Sea. They decorate the boats, carol, have special holiday parades, there is a special Holiday Ice Show on Allure, they have cookie decorating and leave us treats like gingerbread in our room, we get a 'gift' from RC on Christmas Day, Santa brought a gift for each kid 18 and younger, there are traditional food offerings in the main dining room. The only thing we really miss is the Christmas midnight buffet (they stopped it few years ago) We bring gifts for the staff and decorate our door and rooms. As far as my family is concerned, there is no place better to be than spending Christmas at Sea.

We'll be on ALLURE the 18th - 25th - So I think you are boarding on Christmas Day if you are sailing Allure. This will be our 6th Christmas cruise - we LOVE being at Sea. They decorate the boats, carol, have special holiday parades, there is a special Holiday Ice Show on Allure, they have cookie decorating and leave us treats like gingerbread in our room, we get a 'gift' from RC on Christmas Day, Santa brought a gift for each kid 18 and younger, there are traditional food offerings in the main dining room. The only thing we really miss is the Christmas midnight buffet (they stopped it few years ago) We bring gifts for the staff and decorate our door and rooms. As far as my family is concerned, there is no place better to be than spending Christmas at Sea.

Actually we're on the same cruise-was wondering if we should book MDR or specialty on Saturday (the last night-which is Christmas eve). Thanks for the info! See you at sea!

A bite of turkey with loved ones is consistently what makes the day Thanksgiving for almost everyone. Christmas traditions are far more varied.

Never thought about this in terms of MDR menu but it makes sense. Thanksgiving (USA style) is pretty uniquely Amercan folklore and menu pretty set on the turkey thing. But Christmas is so varied worldwide that accomodating all those traditions would be impossible. My wife's Swedish tradtions are definitely different from my Scotch-Irish-English background. I dare RCI to serve Lutefisk. :D Or Christmas Eve have fresh Oyster Stew. So many different traditions.

Probably they settle for the basic turkey or roast beef options.

We're on the same cruise. The name of the cruise is a Holiday sailing so there will be a Christmas Eve dinner. I am fairly certain they will do they same events that they normally do on Christmas Day.

Santa will have a set up for pictures and there will be decorations, caroling, and Christmas themed activities.

We were on the Majesty last year for Christmas. I wanted a picture with Santa last year and went up to him, he thought I was a kid and gave me a gift! It's actually a very nice RCI messenger bag in army green and tan. It was so much fun that we wanted to be on a cruise during the holidays again. So Allure it was :)

Hanukkah starts on the second night of the cruise so there will be activities for that as well.

Should be a fun trip- come on over to our roll call and join the conversations!

Archived