Swiming with Turtles, what beach?

puggleperson

On the Turtle excursions what beach do they take you to? Is it possible to go to that beach and swim without paying for excursion? It seems silly to pay.. Or are the netted in a certain location?? To me that takes all the fun out of seeing wild turtles, I just want to snorkle and happen to run into one :D

On the Turtle excursions what beach do they take you to? Is it possible to go to that beach and swim without paying for excursion? It seems silly to pay.. Or are the netted in a certain location?? To me that takes all the fun out of seeing wild turtles, I just want to snorkle and happen to run into one :D

Paynes Beach is where most of the tour boat go The site is just off shore Another is Carlise Bay Beach is closer to the ship dock .

Yes you can take a taxi or bus.

These turtles are all in the wild

We will be in Barbados and will be snorkeling at Paynes and Carlise Beaches This Jan.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Hey, me and the wife went on the Jolly Roger when we were in Barbados and did the turtle snorkelling. We both had a great time but i disagree with your point about 'seems silly to pay for it'. We had unlimited drinks, a great lunch, good music and provided with proper Tusa snorkelling stuff. All round id say its well worth the money!

By accident we ended up at the beach with the turtles - Paines Beach when we were there last week.

A summary of our costs: a $15 taxi ride from the ship. Another $15 to use 2 chairs and an umbrella. I had my own snorkel gear, but you could rent it there. $45 for a 30 min jetski ride. $6 for 2 local beers. Total = $96 / 2 = $48 per person. {Might be worth it to take a tour & have lunch & unlimited drinks, right?}

They also had glass bottom boats, food, jewelry & massages being offered on the beach. Trust me, I'm not crazy about vendors, but these people were very polite and took no for an answer. A great spot and the turtles are only a 10 minute swim out, just head for the catamarans or Jolly Roger - which looked like alot of fun too!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Paynes Beach is where most of the tour boat go The site is just off shore Another is Carlise Bay Beach is closer to the ship dock .

Yes you can take a taxi or bus.

These turtles are all in the wild

We will be in Barbados and will be snorkeling at Paynes and Carlise Beaches This Jan.

Paul

How was the snorkeling? Did you see turtles? Which beach was best? Did you take taxi and how much is it? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks!

How was the snorkeling? Did you see turtles? Which beach was best? Did you take taxi and how much is it? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks!

I highly recomend booking with Shasa Catamaran! We just got back & it was awsome!!! We swam with about 9 turtles!!! We also went to a coral reef & shipwreck, it was great. We did the 3 hr. tour for $60. I have heard that Paynes bay is good & Carlisle too, but I heard it is quite a swim out . Check out Shasa! :)

We took a taxi on our own to Blue Moneky Beach, you can swim from the beach to were the turtles are. Just wait until you see tour boats and go swim out there with them. It is like $15 or $30 for the taxi to and from and there is a guy that will bring you local food for $10. There was also a guy there with a monkey. It was a good day but beware there are sea snakes, they stay at the bottom of the sea so you are ok as long as you swim more than walk in the water... The locals said they stay are the bottom and do NOT swim around but do not step on them they will bite. I saw about 5 and they were all the size of like a garden snake, they stayed at the bottom like I was told they would do. (Thank God)

2113729510_monkeybeachturtle.jpg.d41f93638798ed40c2ba88a04f0e85e3.jpg

1050135898_monkeybeach.jpg.21e2cfa6338fde2f29de120700bc300f.jpg

Sorry Did not make it To Barbados Had a stroke while in St Thomas and was in the Hospital there and return to the States:eek:

Paul

Sorry Did not make it To Barbados Had a stroke while in St Thomas and was in the Hospital there and return to the States:eek:

Paul

That's so sad, hope you are doing ok now. It is so scary to have a medical issue so far away from home. At least you were in a posession of the United States

Nancy

We took a taxi on our own to Blue Moneky Beach, you can swim from the beach to were the turtles are. Just wait until you see tour boats and go swim out there with them. It is like $15 or $30 for the taxi to and from and there is a guy that will bring you local food for $10. There was also a guy there with a monkey. It was a good day but beware there are sea snakes, they stay at the bottom of the sea so you are ok as long as you swim more than walk in the water... The locals said they stay are the bottom and do NOT swim around but do not step on them they will bite. I saw about 5 and they were all the size of like a garden snake, they stayed at the bottom like I was told they would do. (Thank God)

We rode the bus which was $1.50 (do a search and you'll find out more on bus riding in Barbados). Loved meeting the locals on the bus. Short walk (even for an overweight, middle-aged woman) from the pier to the bus station. Told bus driver to let us know when we got to the Blue Monkey Beach stop. He even pointed out the way to the beach which is alongside a beach restaurant. Took our towels, didn't pay for anything but food and drink from the beach restaurant (our choice). Saw the tour boots show up, swam out near them, and saw the turtles. Very cheap day in Barbados.

• 4 weeks later...
How far was it to swim out to see the turtles?

It was less than a 10 minute swim. I waited until the Jolly Roger & big catamarans had left, and went out when there was a small cat. there. The guide was very friendly. I saw the turtles popping up & by sticking my head in the water using my sunglasses, lol, no mask. Fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Sea snakes?!?! Anybody else encounter these? Are they at all the beaches or just Blue Monkey?

You see the occasional one here and there, along most of the islands in the caribbean. They generally stick to the bottom, usually among rocks or other places they can hide. They are more scared of us than we are of them... No sweat.

Cheers, P:)

Archived