NCL Gem 9/11-18...the story, the silly and the sublime...long review of a solo cruise

Fawn524

I was at a 9-11 memorial gathering, at a home on the cliffs in Weehawken, and was excited to see you pull out of NYC! I'm sure you must have seen me waving. We will be on the Gem next June for our 40th Anniversary in cabin 9500 just below you! Loved your review! It made me even more excited for our cruise next year. :)

Joanna...great review!

I felt like I was almost there with you...oh that's right ... I was! The stories were great and having the pics along with your review were terrific. Wish we spent more time with you guys.....looks like you had a wild ride! But I did see the happenings at Senior Frogs ... :eek:

It was great meeting you and everyone else....

Liz

Yes, you were! LOL We did have a wild ride...and Senor Frogs was definitely an adventure! Nice meeting you, too...maybe we'll meet again on the seas someday! :D

Job well done!!!!!!

Thanks!

I was at a 9-11 memorial gathering, at a home on the cliffs in Weehawken, and was excited to see you pull out of NYC! I'm sure you must have seen me waving. We will be on the Gem next June for our 40th Anniversary in cabin 9500 just below you! Loved your review! It made me even more excited for our cruise next year. :)

Was that you? I waved back...did you see me?? :cool: I loved 9500 for the privacy...a bit smaller cabin, but larger front balcony. You could lay on the lounger and not be seen if you pulled back a bit...not on mine, though!

Thanks for the great and detailed review. It's appreciated. We'll be in our first Courtyard Suite in March (and the same one in September :eek:) so I'm getting very excited (last time was on the Dawn in 10000 - nice AC front). But, I'm really looking forward to the Courtyard (or Haven I guess :cool:).

Thanks again!

Hi Joanna,

Great, great review. I am so thrilled to have shared so many of those memories! Definitely one of my favorite cruises.

I was reading the review on my early morning commute today and it brought me back....all the way to Senor Frogs ;). Was that really me dancing on a stool??

Once I go through my photos and upload them, I will send you the link. I won't post mine on FB. What my children don't know, won't hurt them :D!

Marilyn

Hi Joanna,

Great, great review. I am so thrilled to have shared so many of those memories! Definitely one of my favorite cruises.

I was reading the review on my early morning commute today and it brought me back....all the way to Senor Frogs ;). Was that really me dancing on a stool??

Once I go through my photos and upload them, I will send you the link. I won't post mine on FB. What my children don't know, won't hurt them :D!

Marilyn

If there's any you'd like me to remove from my facebook, just let me know! My girls already know I'm insane...and they like it that way! ;) And yes, that was you on the stool...and the wall, I believe? :cool:

It really was a terrific cruise, wasn't it? I loved meeting all you guys and making so many memories...hope we can do it again someday!

[quote name=Fawn524;30680290

It really was a terrific cruise' date=' wasn't it? I loved meeting all you guys and making so many memories...hope we can do it again someday![/quote]

Thanks Joanna. Fantastic review. Anne & I had a wonderful time meeting you and the other

CC-ers. We hope to cruise together again.:)

I'd love to do the Panama Crossing...how long is it?

Would they be known under another title besides Staff Captain? I have my directory, but no Staff Captain listed?

The really tall gentleman in your photo here is the Gem's Staff Captain Ingar.

437064119_StaffCaptainIngar.jpg.6d46a1100122baeac2bb2e912066c7f7.jpg

The really tall gentleman in your photo here is the Gem's Staff Captain Ingar.

Oh, I remember him! :D Truthfully, I met so many Officers, I couldn't keep them straight after awhile! He was a very nice guy...kinda quiet.

Fawn524, Great review and I am glad that you enjoyed your solo trip. I have done 8 solos on NCL and have enjoyed every one of them. You get a chance to meet a lot of great people if you are willing to just put yourself out there. I found that if you only use the stairs that go down they are much friendlier. I always had a hard time finding any that went up more than a deck or two. Happy sailing.

If I knew that I would meet up with such a fun group of people as y'all if I did a solo cruise, I might consider it. Thanks for the awesome review!

Go for it...join your roll call and do everything they plan. I didn't go on the pub crawl, but heard that's also a great way to meet people! Give it a try...

Fawn524, Great review and I am glad that you enjoyed your solo trip. I have done 8 solos on NCL and have enjoyed every one of them. You get a chance to meet a lot of great people if you are willing to just put yourself out there. I found that if you only use the stairs that go down they are much friendlier. I always had a hard time finding any that went up more than a deck or two. Happy sailing.

Wow.. 8! I will definitely be cruising solo again...don't tell my daughters I said that! :rolleyes: You're right ...the "down" stairs were MUCH friendlier! Those "up" stairs though...just not very nice at all! :D

Fawn524 you are an inspiration!!!

would like to do a solo cruise but never find the courage, don't want to eat alone or do ports alone.

I love your pics. Can see you had a great time.

I love how your review was day by day, I booking Norwegian Gem for the first time.

Thanks for the reviw and hope you continue your Happy Cruising!!

Marge

Hi Fawn...JUST started reading your review & I so look forward to it as I was also a solo cruiser, getting off the Gem the day you got on...but I have to correct you...you did not cruise under the George Washington Bridge..you cruised under the Verrazano. :o. If the Gem had cruised under the GWB you would be on your way to West Point & further north. If anyone else pointed this out...I'm sincerely so sorry for the duplicate post.

Now I'll return to your enjoyable review on page 1, ;).

Fawn524.. I've now finished reading your review and want to thank you soooo much! I enjoyed sharing it...once more through your eyes.

I think you and I may be twins separated at birth lol...chocolate martinis became my favorite...and I will refrain from any more comments on those wretched stairs :mad: (but they...in their smirking, whispering way) kept my weight the same as when I boarded. Too funny.

I wrote a review here in the Member review section...you will see that my experience very much mirrors yours!

Sooo happy you had a good time!

Hi Fawn...JUST started reading your review & I so look forward to it as I was also a solo cruiser, getting off the Gem the day you got on...but I have to correct you...you did not cruise under the George Washington Bridge..you cruised under the Verrazano. :o. If the Gem had cruised under the GWB you would be on your way to West Point & further north. If anyone else pointed this out...I'm sincerely so sorry for the duplicate post.

Now I'll return to your enjoyable review on page 1, ;).

Ya know, I said that the day we were leaving, and everyone told me I was wrong! LOL Now I feel better!

Fawn524.. I've now finished reading your review and want to thank you soooo much! I enjoyed sharing it...once more through your eyes.

I think you and I may be twins separated at birth lol...chocolate martinis became my favorite...and I will refrain from any more comments on those wretched stairs :mad: (but they...in their smirking, whispering way) kept my weight the same as when I boarded. Too funny.

I wrote a review here in the Member review section...you will see that my experience very much mirrors yours!

Sooo happy you had a good time!

Chocolate martinis...yum! Stairs...baaaaddd! I'll go look for your review!

Thanks for a fabulous review!

I am going solo on the Sun at the end of October and can't wait! This will be my third solo cruise and I always have a great time.

Sounds like you met so many great people this trip, and for me, that is one thing I really love about cruising.

TracyE

Archived