Live Webcam on Cozumel Insider...

• 1 month later...

By the way...............

The pier showing in the camera is called Punta Langosta. I e-mailed them and asked :D Unfortunatly for me because it would have been nice to see it but that's not the one Explorer goes to (according to their cruise ship arrival information page) but it's still cool to see the ships :)

Guest OBAYbee
Hi

Does anyone know which ship is there right now :) or how to find out? I THINK it's Explorer of the Seas because according to Cruise Track for Explorer, it is in Cozumel today. I can't make out the name of the ship though.

Try looking here for current ship positions.

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml?lat=21.3&lon=-75.3&radius=300

• 2 weeks later...

Frank,

I like your pictures. I have just recently purchased a D70 and I will be taking it on a cruise for the first time in about a week. I have a couple of questions for you.

Are you just using the lens that came with the D70 kit?

I see you have listed all the f-stops and things like that but did you use the programs on the camera or did you go with manual or A or S priority.

Oh before I forget, are you using a filter on the nice sea pictures that look so blue? As of now I haven't purchased a filter for that lens. I have several other lens that will work with different filters that I use on my N90S.

Last but not least, are you aware that there is a major firmware updating coming the middle of the month of May?

Very nice pictures, Vince

So far I love this camera. I also have a Canon G3 which takes nice pictures for it's size.

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply.

Congrats on the D70. Love mine.

On this trip I think I only had the kit lens with me. I sometimes use a 50mm or my 20mm, just to make the whole package smaller. I plan to buy the Tokina 12-24mm in the coming months.

The f-stops are normally embedded in the JPGs (called EXIF). I vary my mode quite a bit. "Exposure program" shows whether I used A,S,P or M. Example of M: http://www.pbase.com/image/42232835 When I want the exposure locked while I set up.

I did use a polarizer on some of the shots. Pricey, but a worthwhile investment.

Yes, I believe the firmware for the D70s will work in the D70, and Nikon's releasing that soon. The D70 does a great job with a the current firmware. I'd be leary of installing it just before your trip. At least, check out comments on www.dpreview.com before installing.

As you probably saw, I often use my CP5400 when I don't want to lug around the D70.

See you're from STL. My wife grew up in Lebanon, IL. We're headed there in 2 weeks. We go every couple of years to visit family.

Where are you headed on your trip? Bon voyage, Vince! Feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks Frank,

I just purchased the SB-600 Flash for my camera and have it now. The next trip is a 5 day Pacific Coastal cruise the leaves on May 22. I am meeting a good friend from Canada in LA and we are cruising back up to Vancouver which is where she lives. After we arrive in Vancouver the plan is to drive to Banff Canada and I understand the drive is beautiful. I bet I will take lots of pictures. :) I am getting my CF memory cards ready for the trip. I have a circular polar filter for one of my lens but it is not for the one that I purchased with the camera (same lens you have). As I mentioned, one of the reasons I love Nikon is, I can use my old Auto Focus lens on both cameras (film and digital). On this particular trip I am going on a whale watching trip in Victoria so I may take my 70-300 zoom along for that and yes the flash for fill in case something is fairly close. A couple of years ago I went on the Statendam with my mom and I set up a Dolphin swim for her in Cozumel (not through the ship, much better) and I didn't take my N90's on the trip because I didn't want to carry it and I really liked the small Cannon G3 digital. I made a big mistake there because I found out quickly that that type of digital camera is really not very good for action shots because of the delay. The funny thing was the guy that worked there was using a N90's with a 70-300 zoom and a SB-28 flash for pictures and that is exactly what I had sitting at home in the closet. I told mom my pictures were ok but urged her to buy one of the ones he took.

Funny I actually live in IL right across the river from STL. Does your wife know where Maryville is? The whole area is growing very rapidly from Waterloo north to Edwardsville because real estate is/was a good deal over here but prices are really going up now. The bad thing is our Real Estate Property taxes are totally out of control in this state and really this keeps a lot of people over in MO.

Thanks again

Cruising with camera equipment.... damned if you take a lot and damned if you don't. Never sure what do. I'm kinda having split feelings about our 2006 European cruise.... D70, flash, kit lens, 12-24mm and then do I add a telephoto or not. The rest of the time I think I should buy a Coolpix 8800 and forget all the other stuff.

The trip sounds great! Please be sure to post photos when you return. We've never been up to Canada, and really need to do that. We'll be hitting Yellowstone on the way back from STL, but just don't have the time to go that far north. My wife's heard of Maryville, but never been there. Take care and have a great trip.

Archived