wheelchair for embarkation?

WouldBeCruiser

Just need a little advice from anyone who has experience with this.

When we booked our HC stateroom on the Zuiderdam, we also filled in a form that requested a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation

( dh will use his walker for the rest of the cruise) but we have not cruised from Ft. Lauderdale before.

We are taking a shuttle to the cruise terminal, and I was wondering, at what point will we have access to the wheelchair?

Will we go through the check-in, get our ID cards and then they will produce a wheelchair to save dh the long walk to the ship?

Do I need to phone guest services to enquire about this?

Also, is there anything at the Fort Lauderdale terminal that is likely to cause us any problems? Because dh is unable to manage a suitcase and a walker, I will be toting two large suitcases, can't manage to condense our stuff as we are away for two weeks. Dh will be OK but I'm having a bit of a panic wondering how I will manage?

Just need a little advice from anyone who has experience with this.

When we booked our HC stateroom on the Zuiderdam, we also filled in a form that requested a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation

( dh will use his walker for the rest of the cruise) but we have not cruised from Ft. Lauderdale before.

We are taking a shuttle to the cruise terminal, and I was wondering, at what point will we have access to the wheelchair?

Will we go through the check-in, get our ID cards and then they will produce a wheelchair to save dh the long walk to the ship?

Do I need to phone guest services to enquire about this?

Also, is there anything at the Fort Lauderdale terminal that is likely to cause us any problems? Because dh is unable to manage a suitcase and a walker, I will be toting two large suitcases, can't manage to condense our stuff as we are away for two weeks. Dh will be OK but I'm having a bit of a panic wondering how I will manage?

When you arrive at the port for check just let one of the HAL reps that you need wheelchair assistance for boarding. The HAL rep will than direct you as to what to do.

At the airport :

• Have you requested wheelchair assistance through your airline for DH ? If not than suggest you call the airlines and place the notation in the flight records that he will need wheelchair assistance for all flights. Remind the check in agent when you arrive at the airport that you need WC assistance. Also notifiy the flight attendent on board the flight that you will be needing WC at the gate upon arrival.
  • Once as the baggage claim you have 2 choices to assist you .
    1. You can try to locate a Sky Cap Porter with a cart to assist you with your luggage. The fee for this service is a tip. I generally tip $5-$10 depending on how far they have to go with you to meet the shuttle.
    2. If unable to locate a Sky Cap than there are luggage carts for rental throughout the baggage claim area. Make certain you have some quarters and single bills to insert into the machine to release the cart.

When you arrive at the terminal, there will be porters who will take your luggage. You won't have to walk at all, as long as your shuttle driver takes you right to the place where the porters are located. After that, they will direct you to the main entrance of the terminal. There are benches where people can sit. Look for anyone wearing a uniform and tell them you pre-arranged for a wheelchair. They will call for you and someone will eventually come to where you wait to take you inside for check in. After that, they will push the wheelchair to either your cabin, if you arrive after 1pm or so, or will take you to a waiting place until the cabins are ready.

Archived