San Francisco Cruisers

aaerobear

Thanks Blazerby,

Appreciate your great advice. I now have a place to start my research.

I'm actually on RCI Enchantment of the Seas, it's a Seminar at Sea so we will have some classroom time but hopefully not too much since we will be on a cruise afterall. I'm looking forward to seeing the Enchantment's new "Facelift" and see how she compares to when I sailed on the Grandeur.

Beav, no need to apologize........my only experience with Debbie Reynolds is on Will and Grace doing the "Told you so" dance.....Toldya-so....Toldya-so.

She's a hoot!

Yes - I am in Marlboro Country - that's Mass - and it's actually spelled Marlborough - so I don't know what that does to the chances of meeting the Marlboro Man . . . .

Blazerboy - sorry you aren't here - I'd hop out to P'town just so we could cocktail . . . but trust me, I'm not staying an extra few weeks just for cocktails - that will have to wait for the next time I get an invitation to the WC - or I'm in SF and you boys can leave the 'burbs for a day of civility in the City

Mike

Yeah, Mike, I went to prep school in Southborough (next town South of Marlborough, imagine that!) and it would take more than the promise of a cocktail to keep me in that part of Massachusetts! But, seriously, enjoy yourself!;)

Une autre fois...

BEAV--Your rendezvous with the Tunnel de la Caldecott had me in stiches! However, I suspect it should be left for the observer to make their own decision about if this tunnel has a 'romantic feel' or not. I ssuspect Hycanith would not necessarily have any comment about that particular tunnel--but I loved yours. It would be sooooo nice to live close to pier 39 and be able to hear the 'call to muster' from the ships in SF. We heard the call to muster for the Harmony--which is when Bob suggested that we stow away. Alas, we had no blazers with us. Hello to Destcruz--hope you have a good business meeting and at least some fun in Mass. Are you planning to behave yourself? Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm going on a Canada/New England cruise in September out of Boston. Wondering if anyone has been to the ports I will be visiting. If so, do you have any recommendations? I have been checking the cruiseline site for shore excursions and nothing is really talking to me.

Martha's Vineyard, Portland and Bar Harbor, Maine, St. John, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

David, we toured Halifax & Bar Harbor via cruise back in 2001.

If you're interested in Titanic history, the Maritime Museum (walkable from the dock) in downtown Halifax had an extensive Titanic exhibit. I really enjoyed it. Also, there is a cemetary where many of the Titanic victims are buried.

In Bar Harbor, I can recommend Oli's Trolley. A roughly two-hour tour takes you to Acadia National Park as well as in/around Bar Harbor itself. Back in 2001, it was only $20. We were able to purchase tickets right at their office as we got off the ship. We really enjoyed the open-air trolley as opposed to a bus tour. At several stops throughout Acadia Nat'l Park, we always passed the bus tours as they seemingly took forever to load/unload 40-50 passengers. We saw a lot more on the trolley tour than all those tour buses! Also gave us time for a great lunch of fish n' chips and chance to walk through town.

http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/

Afternoon Beav,

I knew there was a reason why we are friends. I'm a HUGE Titanic finatic!

I will definitely check out the museum and cemetary.

Open air tour sounds great too. RCI is offering a tour as well but I always find better deals off the ship. Thanks for the recommendations.

Any suggestions on Providence, RI? I'm Staying one night, already have a hotel booked downtown. Any suggestions for restaurants/bars in the area?

Taking Amtrak to Boston the next morning.

If it's still there, check out Rue de L'Espoir- fun French restaurant on Hope Street on the East Side (not to be confused with East Providence)-popular with the Brown U. crowd, but also upscale without being over the top. Pot au Feu always used to be good also. Barring those, you'll find lots of restaurants along South Main and South Water Streets near downtown on the river, near the East Side. Al Forno was good for Italian, but quite pricey.

For walking, check out Benefit Street on the East Side- charming houses/architecture. There's also been a renaissance of the downtown where they undid the blight of roads and uncovered the river. Should be some nice new cafes there. When I lived there, the Hot Club (nicknamed the Hot Tub) was a fun place for a beer on the water- straight bar, but fun.

Been too long since I "went out" there for any good recommendations for clubs but they do exist. Have fun.

Andrew

I will be happy when they build the new terminal at pier 30/32 as we can see that from our house, will be nice to keep track of the ships in port :)

I do drive down to pier 35 almost everytime there is a ship in town, just to see what is going on. But I do avoid pier 39 (not really a pier anymore) just a very very busy tourist area.

Ed

I will be happy when they build the new terminal at pier 30/32 as we can see that from our house, will be nice to keep track of the ships in port :)

I do drive down to pier 35 almost everytime there is a ship in town, just to see what is going on. But I do avoid pier 39 (not really a pier anymore) just a very very busy tourist area.

Ed

Anyone know the status of the new cruise ship terminal in SOMA? It'll be great to sail under TWO bridges once completed. I suppose some cruise ship tourists will be disappointed not to be as close to Fisherman's Wharf as they are now, but I think the advantages will outweigh the negatives. Especially with all the new construction going on in SOMA the past few years. Give me the redesigned Ferry Building, places like Boulevard, etc any day over the wharf!

I went back and checked the press release they put out in 2004. Apparently construction is not due to begin until 2006. A coworker of mine who lives in the area told me the condo's, which are the first phase of the overall project, are nearly completed.

Thanks, Ted.

Re: Piers 30/32, still in the planning stages, and, given the word on the street, there may be some delay in starting construction. The Watermark (condo tower) is about to start selling- did a hard hat tour the other day. No prices yet, but guaranteed, they'll be pricey. Not very well layed out, IMO.

Andrew

Andrew, you're still here!

Patrick was convinced he saw you early this morning in the Dallas airport (he's on a business trip) -- I recalled that you and Ed were leaving tomorrow for your P-town adventure, but figured you might have skipped out early.

Have a great time back East! :D And if you ever fly through Dallas look for your doppleganger.:eek:

Hey, Steve. GREAT AVATAR!

No, I avoid Texas whenever possible. Managed to avoid for almost 43 years and still counting!:D

I'm beginning to think my looks are pretty ordinary, becuase people are always saying they saw me somewhere where I wasn't. Maybe this Texas guy really gets around! Or maybe there are MORE of us!:eek:

Hope you two are both well- be great to see you sometime! Head pat to the baby!

Andrew

I was in a very sincere pinstripe suit, thank you very much!:cool:

Just bought a new bathingsuit, so if you hear reports of a beached great white whale off the N.E. coast, you'll know the story.:eek:

Andrew

I'm so excited - I've been posting on the different forums this afternoon.

Had a nice phone conversation w/ a very sweet lady from Travelocity here in SF this afternoon - apparently I entered a contest on their website last month...

I just won a free cruise on Celebrity! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm supposed to get the paperwork in the FED-EX tomorrow giving me all the details, papers to sign (taxes, publicity release, etc.) and the itineraries to choose from - but it looks like I'm going to Europe on the Century this fall! :D

I'm so excited - I've been posting on the different forums this afternoon.

Had a nice phone conversation w/ a very sweet lady from Travelocity here in SF this afternoon - apparently I entered a contest on their website last month...

I just won a free cruise on Celebrity! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm supposed to get the paperwork in the FED-EX tomorrow giving me all the details, papers to sign (taxes, publicity release, etc.) and the itineraries to choose from - but it looks like I'm going to Europe on the Century this fall! :D

WOW! How cool is that! ?? !! You don't hear of good stuff like this very often, and it's even better when it's someone you KNOW! Well, no, I've never met Brian, but he's "family" isn't he ?? !! ??

Just curious, Brian, do you get to take a 'guest' along in your stateroom with you?

Brian--TOO FABULOUS! After Crystal, Celebrity is our favorite line! I'm sure you will have a great time! You must tell us which Century sailing you will be going on! Bob and I have been on Mercury twice--I believe Century is the same class of ship--not too large, just the right size. It is especially nice to have a person who we have met to enjoy such a lovely gift.

Well, Beav beat me to the punch with the "traveling companion" question!:mad:

(Not that I assume I was on Brian's list of likely mates:D )

Again, congrats. to you, Brian.

Andrew

(And, now, I'm out of here for P-town!)

Well, Beav beat me to the punch with the "traveling companion" question!:mad:

(Not that I assume I was on Brian's list of likely mates:D )

Again, congrats. to you, Brian.

Andrew

(And, now, I'm out of here for P-town!)

Never say never, Blazerboy. You may still be in "the running". I suppose two Brians in the same cabin could get a little confusing!