River tubing

Diamond Jim

We did the White River Tubing trip in April 2010. We enjoyed the tubing but I wouldn't exactly describe it as "exciting". The water is only about waist-high for most of the route and there are only a couple of areas where the water is fast. There was one spot where the water was deeper and there was a rope swing. (We didn't stop here are we were the only ones on the trip, with our guide, and we didn't have any interest in the rope swing.)

We also did tubing of the white river in Nov 2009. It was nice and relaxing. We did have one complaint ... You are required to put on a life vest they provide, and I have to say they definitely were not clean, they smelled Terrible !!! Most of us unclipped them or took them off half way through. With that said, I would consider doing the tour again, but would make sure I brought a T-shirt to wear over bathing suit in case we ran into the same problem.

We did river tubing last year on our stop in Ocho Rios. Pretty sure we went tubing down the White River. Tour guides were great and we had a really nice time. Couple of rapid areas (including the one where we fell in:D) and the water was never very deep. I think we floated down the river for about 90 minutes. Even managed to grab a Red Strip before we left to float with....

If you don't mind a bit of a drive you could head to YS Falls and zipline..... now that's exciting!! Plus the falls are beautiful and a lot less crowd than Dunns River. Actually- the drive to YS alone is pretty exciting........:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not aware of any tour company that offers just the White River tubing alone. We went with Peat Taylor tours and they offer the tubing with 3 options, Dunn River Falls ($65), Ocho Rios highlights ($70) or the Blue Hole ($55).

We went tubing on the Grand or Great River, I think. The life vests that we wore did not smell good at all. We quickly took ours off. Also they strung all of the tubes together.. so that we would all stay together. Not much to report. I would not do it again. Pretty boring and stinky.

Nancy

• 5 weeks later...

Did one back in 2004...concur with previous posters, the tour itself was not exciting (don't think of it as some sort of white-water rafting excursion), but it was still fun. We had a fun group and a very entertaining guide.

However...the drive from the dock to the starting point was more than enough excitement (white knuckle terrifying, more like it), a rickety bus, a narrow windy road with sheer drops and no guardrails!

• 2 weeks later...

tmitchell, how is that beautiful wife and daughter of yours? Lee and I are now grandparents of a 10month little boy!

Which tour company did you use for your tubing trip? I know you check things out as much as I do. We are not sailing w/Princess this time but with a large group on the Oasis which docks in Falmouth not OchoRios.

• 9 months later...
We also did tubing of the white river in Nov 2009. It was nice and relaxing. We did have one complaint ... You are required to put on a life vest they provide, and I have to say they definitely were not clean, they smelled Terrible !!! Most of us unclipped them or took them off half way through. With that said, I would consider doing the tour again, but would make sure I brought a T-shirt to wear over bathing suit in case we ran into the same problem.

River tubing is offered on the White River through NCL, has anyone done this recently? The smelly life vest is kind of turning me off....:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

We have this river tubing booked through Carnival next week, the reviews I read on carnival we all great and nobody mentioned smelly life vest. Hopefully this excursion is with a different company and the life vest don't smell. From what I read we are tubing on the white river, does anyone know if there is somewhere to change into dry clothes before you head back.

Tubing in Jamaica is actually very nice and relaxing. Don't think I've heard anyone complaining about smelly vests.

As for the tour operator, I'd recommend Maxwell from Top Caribbean Tours. You can checkout is website for more details - http://topcaribbeantours.com/

For other fun things to do in Jamaica, you can checkout this article - http://www.squidoo.com/top-5-things-to-do-in-jamaica

For all those looking to do tubing closer to Falmouth/Montego Bay, RCCL now offers tubing or boarding or rafting at Rio Bueno in Trelawny which is close to Falmouth and Montego Bay and is a lot closer/quicker than going to White River. You can also book the tour privately. Here's the website I found with info about it.... http://www.riverrapidsja.com . I think it is the same price if you go directly with RCCL, so I would choose that route. I'm not sure if Carnival or Norwegian offers this excursion yet.

Archived