C'mon all you Priceline/Hotwire Experts!

CathyCruises

This is actually for a hotel in Venice, but I got such good guidance here last time that I am coming back in search of more.

On Hotwire, they have a **** hotel on one of their special unnamed deals for $180. I also found a named **** hotel for about $180, just a little more. That is much less than the average four star hotel in Venice--about half. What is the likelihood that those are the same hotel? I am torn between selecting the one I know and can read about, vs. the unknown which COULD be much better, maybe, I think, sometimes!;) Right?

I tried comparing the little icons but could not find any hotels that were an exact match.

Any advice much appreciated!!

Cathy

Thanks, but I definitely do not want to stay in Mestre--to me it's like visiting Manhattan and staying in Hoboken!! We have been to Venice before and I know there are cheaper places to stay, but we do want to stay right in the central area. I was just curious about how Hotwire works.

Thanks, but I definitely do not want to stay in Mestre--to me it's like visiting Manhattan and staying in Hoboken!! We have been to Venice before and I know there are cheaper places to stay, but we do want to stay right in the central area. I was just curious about how Hotwire works.

Try reading Bidding for Travel and perhaps you can figure out which hotel you will get. Any time I have used Priceline I usually can figure which hotel they are going to give me. As for Venice however, not sure if I'd play roulette over there.

With Priceline and Hotwire it's like a box of chocolates (to qoute forrest gump") you never know what you are going to get. I can suggest a small Boutique Hotel we used a few years back which is near the Rialto Bridge and can be booked for under $200. Ca Arco Antico.

Thanks--I tried that, and like many I have tried, they have no availability. I wonder if there is something going on that week. Our favorite hotel is booked up as are many others.

Thanks--I tried that, and like many I have tried, they have no availability. I wonder if there is something going on that week. Our favorite hotel is booked up as are many others.

WE are staying in Mestre at the Casa Villa Gardenia B&B for 80E in October. It is right across the street from the bus stop and a 5 minute walk to the train station. It is a 15 minute and 1E ride to Venice.

I would guess, Cathy, that they are NOT the same hotel. I have never bought an unnamed one that was listed as named.

You are familiar enough with Venice that if I were you, and you have chosen the location you want, that I would probably bite. Know that the lists of hotels can add a new one now and then and won't be listed. But Hotwire's ratings are pretty good. Maybe a half star higher than I might rank it. But you'd still be in a nice hotel, I'd guess. My only worry would be the location at this point.

Let us know what you did. We stayed at Al Codega on a couple visits. Wonderful small hotel in a quiet courtyard a short 3 min. walk from St Marks. Kind of hard to find if not looking for it.:) Would rec if available. But they fill pretty fast with the good reviews it gets. And nice prices.

When are you staying? I know in Venice and some other European cities, they actually don't open vacancies as early as the U.S. and will say "no availibility" when you try to reserve on line... when in reality they just haven't opened their calendar far enough yet. I always email individual hotels direct for the booking and have found openings when the online booking site says not. Or they will tell you when they will list some vacancies.

Good luck.

I would guess, Cathy, that they are NOT the same hotel. I have never bought an unnamed one that was listed as named.

You are familiar enough with Venice that if I were you, and you have chosen the location you want, that I would probably bite. Know that the lists of hotels can add a new one now and then and won't be listed. But Hotwire's ratings are pretty good. Maybe a half star higher than I might rank it. But you'd still be in a nice hotel, I'd guess. My only worry would be the location at this point.

Let us know what you did. We stayed at Al Codega on a couple visits. Wonderful small hotel in a quiet courtyard a short 3 min. walk from St Marks. Kind of hard to find if not looking for it.:) Would rec if available. But they fill pretty fast with the good reviews it gets. And nice prices.

When are you staying? I know in Venice and some other European cities, they actually don't open vacancies as early as the U.S. and will say "no availibility" when you try to reserve on line... when in reality they just haven't opened their calendar far enough yet. I always email individual hotels direct for the booking and have found openings when the online booking site says not. Or they will tell you when they will list some vacancies.

Good luck.

Thanks for understanding exactly what I was looking for!!! We are going next month so I don't think it's that issue--I did email the place we love, which is small, and they confirmed no availability.

I had good luck with Hotwire on a recent overnight in San Francisco, felt like I got a really good deal (paid $123, lowest price on hotel site was $289) which encourages me to use them more. I agree with your 1/2 a star less rating, seems about right. I am just going to have to take the plunge and get something booked--time is flying by! DH says "go with what you know" but I like the idea of the crapshoot!

DH says "go with what you know" but I like the idea of the crapshoot!

If you aren't planning a week or longer (when you would want something really special), I sure wouldn't have a problem playing the odds in Venice. Other than some luxurious amenities, that you really don't need, the mid range hotels there are pleasant and the hosts gracious, from our experiences. There's a lot of competition there for the little hotels.

Could you come back and let me know what you end up with?

I have been using Hotwire a lot more lately. It usually is a bit more $ than some blind Priceline bid, but my chances of knowing the hotel ahead of time are much better with the help sites and amenities. ;)

So are you saying that you can figure out ahead of time what the hotwire hotels are? I used the LMT trick using the fake car rental, but is there a way to do something similar for Hotwire? On LMT, the hotel turned out to be in Mestre which is NOT okay!

As you mention, location is an issue, but Venice is so small that it's not a big issue this time. We will be staying three days but out and about most of the time anyway. I think I'll go for it but I will be sure to post the results.

So are you saying that you can figure out ahead of time what the hotwire hotels are? I used the LMT trick using the fake car rental, but is there a way to do something similar for Hotwire? On LMT, the hotel turned out to be in Mestre which is NOT okay!

As you mention, location is an issue, but Venice is so small that it's not a big issue this time. We will be staying three days but out and about most of the time anyway. I think I'll go for it but I will be sure to post the results.

Cathy,

These are the only two hotels listed 4 star in Venice that Hotwire has used in the past:

4* Best Western Premier Sant Elena (previously 3.5*)

Amenities: Restaurant, Complimentary Breakfast, Hi-Speed Internet

4* Hotel Saturnia and International

Amenities: Restaurant, Complimentary Breakfast

This is from betterbidding's website:

http://www.betterbidding.com/

Good Luck!

Kel:)

Archived