The Telegraph Cruise Show Heads North to Birmingham and Glasgow

LauraS

I went to London Telegraph cruise show 2010. Never have I felt more that I had wasted a morning of my life that I could never get back.

I urge anyone who values their time on earth to think that if the whole experience kasts 4 hours, then that is 14,400 seconds you will never be able to reclaim.

An utter waste of time with hoards of the great unwashed cluelessly wandering around

So here are MY thoughts...

What is the objective of the Cruise Show - to sell more cruises ? What do cruisers (Past cruisers or New to cruising) want to know when they are planning a cruise ?

Me ? I have only cruised with RCI (4 times & 5th one booked for 2012 and looking for another 2012 cruise at this time) so I understand how their ships work and what is available etc....

However, if I were considering trying a different cruiseline - my priorities would be :.....

1. MOST important for us - what are the Facilities & Activities available on their ships for our only child ? (well he is now a 15 yr old)

2. What are their different categories of staterooms like (size, comparisions etc...) Interactive displays would be very good to see and easy to set up with technology available today !

3. Would like to see the different dates and itineraries for each of their ships plus information on the types of port excursions they offer too...

4. Would like to see information on types of food available in all the differnet onboard restaurants, not suggesting food tasting - but sample menues etc...

5. It would be most useful to be able to 'refine' a search when researching on cruiselines' websites to make it "Fit for Purpose" and specific to my own requirements (e.g. we would only consider a cruiseline that has a good range of facilities & activities for Teenagers) again an interactive display at the Cruise Show, would be most useful for us (& our Teenager) to have a look at and also to discuss with the cruise line staff on their stand...

Being a Marketing Consultant myself and after going to the Excel, Earls Court & NEC B'ham shows, I feel the Cruise Show organisers have missed good opportunities to give the Cruising Public (and also people considering a cruise) interesting and informative information about what goes on - on different cruiselines' ships !

So unless the quality of the Cruise Show improves, I won't be going again. The concept & idea is good, but I feel the content is sadly lacking...

Before I finish, I just want to say that I am sure Steve Read will be very sadly missed at this year's shows. I met and chatted to him at the 1st show at Excel just before my first ever cruise, and he gave me lots of very good advice & tips.....

*stepping off soapbox now*

;)

My wife and I went to the cruise show last year. We watched people rush the P&O stand as thay were giving away a free bag and a pen. Also the Saga stand were giving out free bags it was like a scrum in rugby.

The show did not impress us at all. The tickets were free, we are just glad we didn't have to pay. The only good thing was the trip home. Avenger

We went to Birmingham last year and will not be going again. Waste of a Sunday morning, petrol costs and outrageous NEC parking costs. Ticket was free and that was overcharging...

It was nothing but a place to pick up brochures and I can do that at the travel agents.

Archived