Question for Biaria (Funchal)

A question as to the restaurants a'round the Funchal Marina ~we use to walk down the ramp from the Promanade to several good restaurants. Are they still in operation?

There was a restaurant that served excellent fresh mussels in a wine/garlic sauce ~and the homemade bread was to-die-for!:p I can not recall the name.

Thanks Biaria for all your expert help and suggestions ~

Martita B.

Hi Biara, also, if u have time can you please check on Albergaria Dias..our first hotel (we stayed there in Nov 2008 based on Martita's recommendation) choice to stay in Funchal for March, but after days and repeated requests for rsnvs I heard nothing back, so we booked elsewhere...thanks in advance. r/wes

Thanks for the restaurants information ~

As to a car/driver in Madeira I've used Daniel several times thru' the years and he's excellent! We've booked him again for Nov.

You can contact him: www.danielmadeirataxis.com

Be sure and visit the Old Market ~purchase a bouquet of lovely exotic flowers to take back to the ship ~I buy a 'carload' ~then share the flowers with fellow shipmates.

Enjoy your day in Madeira:p

Martita B.

I know you can't recommend, Biaria, but can you tell us the must-see parts of Madeira? We've never been before.

Oh... ok, I see what you mean now.

Madeira has so much to offer in terms of attractions, mostly for sightseeing. Naming just a few: Monte, Nun's Valley, Cabo Girão, Encumeada, the north coast, Porto Moniz, Paul da Serra, Pico do Areeiro, Levada walks, several gardens, the Market, wine lodges, theme parks, museums...

Biaria, I did get an answer from a friend of yours. She told me Albergaria received my two emails requesting a reservation but did not reply. She told me they would reply to me tomorrow (sorry after five days booked elsewhere) altho I prefer to stay at (we stayed with them two years ago and loved them) Albergaria their reservation system is very, very outdated. They miss requests for reservations (and lose business) plus they are the only top ten hotel rated by trip advisor not to have a hot link to hotel consolidators to book instantly (hotel.com, booking.com,et.al) obviously since they will have to pay a commission to be linked they do not. IMO, they need to update their website and reservation system to accept business instantly.

Hello again,

Good to know you got some insite on what went wrong with your attempt booking.

That's right, for a hotel so well rated as they are, it's about time they kind of "spring clean" their booking methods. I wonder if they realize the extent of the drawbacks their methods are causing them!

Wes

I believe I would simply call the Albergaria Dias front desk ~I would not miss out staying here as the location is the best in Funchal! I wish the hotel served lunch as I would certainly make plans to go ~the breakfast/bar lounge room is so very delightful!

I do plan on spending a week or so here in the near future ~

Good luck with your reservations :D

Martita B.

Yes, I see your point, Madeira is not in the Mediterranean Sea. I even heard of some people looking for Madeira in the African ports category.

Maybe it's about time Cruise Critic starts a Portugal Ports section, in the European Ports of Call.

• 2 months later...
As to a car/driver in Madeira I've used Daniel several times thru' the years and he's excellent! We've booked him again for Nov. You can contact him: www.danielmadeirataxis.com

I'll 2nd that suggestion. My wife and I hired Daniel for a day-tour in October and it was our favorite day of our cruise! Very friendly and knowledgable, Daniel is a great asset to such a beautiful island!

You can't go wrong with Daniel.We spent a very enjoyable day with him last Nov.Very knowledgeable and proud of his island.Very fine gentleman.If we ever return to that beautiful island with the fine people we would call Daniel and look no further.

I recently returned from the Seabourn Quest Maiden TA Crossing ~we called on Funchal and Danny was waiting outside the Ship Terminal at 9:30 am. There were 3 of us who enjoyed our day touring, shopping at the linens factory (gorgeous shop) and sitting outside the Old Market visiting and people watching ~bought lots of beautiful exotic flowers to take back to the Quest.

Another day in paradise with sweet, knowledgable Danny! I return to Madeira next April ~am looking forward to hiring Danny once again. Also planned, coffee with the Dias's at their unique, boutique hotel

Martita B.

• 1 month later...

Archived