Nativeways Stingray, reef, starfish excursion

jdoc2010

We just got back from our cruise, and I wanted to share my experience with our excursion with Nativeways.

We booked directly with Nativeways for the Stingray, Reef, Starfish excursion (no Rum Point). When we arrived to the port, Karen was there holding a sign stating Nativeways. No trouble finding them at all.

I was a little concerned, as there were probably 30 or so people already waiting under the tent for the tour to start. With my 5 plus the 30, it appeared to be a really crowded tour.

I am guessing that about 22 booked through the cruise line because our boat only had 13 people total on it (inlcuding my 5).

The drive down to the boats was about 20 mins.

We had Andrew and Andrew as our tour guides. Both are SUPER nice and very informative.

When we arrived to Stingray city, we saw the other tour boats PACKED with people. 50+ on a boat getting off in single file line with their tour guides barking out orders.

Andrew and Andrew found a spot, anchored in and gave us a quick briefing. Then we all jumped in the water. Nice and relaxing. Andrew found a stingray an we gathered around and he explained what to do.

Since we only had 13 people with 2 guides, we had PLENTY of time with the stingrays. No waiting to touch or hold one. No lines to kiss them. The Andrews did an excellent job making sure each and everyone in our tour had a lot of time with the rays.

And we got to feed them ourselves too! That was awesome.

I had my two kids with me (7 and 4) and they both had an amazing time.

We did some snorkling at the reef. Andrews took us to an amazing reef and pointed out lobsters and other fish.

Then to the starfish area. This is where I was beyond impressed wth the Andrews. -- The water was deep and they took some time finding the perfect spot. My 4 year old was looking forward to the starfish.

All of a sudden Andrew stopped, and the other Andrew dove in and under the boat. Then he popped up with a starfish in each hand. Amazing! My first thought was that they had them in a bag attached to the bottom of the boat, but once we all got into the water to snorkel, you could see the starfish at the bottom of the water. It was a perfect spot.

We got back to the pier with some time to spare, no rush to get back. With two little ones, we didnt want to push the time limit.

I would definately recommend NativeWays to ANYONE who is visitng the Cayman Islands.

tezkilla. Please report back and tell me how your experience was.

This sounds like the perfect excursion for my family. I have a dd 5 and dd 8 and I think they would enjoy the variety of this excursion.

Thanks so much for the review.

This was the highlight of the cruise for my kids (7 and 4) - me too! The water was shallow enough that even my 4 year old was maybe chest / shoulder deep at stingray city. If your kids have never snorkled before, they may have a hard time at the reef. May want to practice in the tub or a pool before you go.

We took this same tour in April 2010. It was fantastic! We only had 4 people on our boat (DH, myself and another couple that signed up when they got off the ship). The personal attention we got was unforgettable. Like the OP stated, the other tour boats had so many people on them, we laugh and say they must have thought we were someone special when we pulled up! When we got to the starfish area Andrew dove done and brought up a large conch shell along with the starfish. Once we got back to town, Andrew brought us back to the pier in a school bus since that is another job he has. Do not hesitate to book this tour if you are considering it. It was and will continue to be one of my favorite tours!

Got on to write up a good review of a similar tour last week (Rays Reef and Rum Point) and read this, you really summed it up. Great communication, nice bus with good AC, a non-overcrowded boat (WOW they fit tons of peeps on others at stingray city). We bought some pics for two family's at a good price, got lots of individual attention, they let my 4 year old drive the boat !!!!! (she still talks about it), and in general were perfect.

At rum point they let us borrow snorkel gear to save the 14 bucks they wanted at the beach, and when my Dad lost his wallet floaty while snorkling at the beach they even pulled out to look for it for 10-15 minutes (no avail, but WAY above what we expected).

We are going to make sure to use them for something else next time, saved a lot of money of course but really feel like we almost owe them for the great time we had.

We just got back yesterday from Grand Cayman and we also had a GREAT time with Nativeways.They we're waiting on the pier and was very easy to find.Left promptly at 9:30. There was only the 3 of us and another couple.It is off- season.Andrew and Moses were our guides.They knew everything about the rays and other creatures they showed us.[starfish,conch and urchin] By having so few, it was the best time we have ever had on a excursion. We were back at the dock exactly on time.I would not only recommend them but would highly suggest to my friends to go with them.

Archived