Musicians on Jazz Cruise, January 16

MKMC

Jazzdagen books large groups on cruise ships, frequently on Regent, but many or most of their performances are private for the passengers who book with them. (They do have to pay the musicians, after all.) I don't know for sure, but perhaps on Navigator, with fewer lounges available to make one private for performances, they allow anyone to sit in? That's sort of what happened when we first encountered Jazzdagen on a Paul Gauguin cruise in 2006. With limited space on the PG, they didn't close the lounge to regular Regent passengers, and we stumbled into a magical bonus on our trip. Or perhaps regular Regent guests (not part of the Jazzdagen group) get to attend 2 or 3 performances.

If you're really interested in the Jazz, then consider booking through Jazzdagen in order to partake of all the performances. Doing some quick math on an E suite, it looks like a minimal difference in cost from the current Regent rate (backing out included air and pre-cruise hotel). If you're interested in the jazz, I'd definitely call Regent (which may or may not be able to tell you much) and Jazzdagen (who I suspect will be able to tell you the details of what regular Regent passengers get to see versus those in their private group.)

-- Eric

Archived