Hilton Garden Inn, Staten Island

Aunty KK

We are driving from New Hampshire on 1/16 for the 1/17 sailing of the Silhouette and have reservations at the Hilton Garden Inn for their stay/park and cruise package. Has anyone has any experience with this hotel, positive or negative? Also, how is the shuttle service to the cruise port, especially on the return trip? Any information/suggestions would be appreciated.

Folks have had a good experience with Hilton Gardens. However, their park/sleep/cruise package is $231+. Have you looked at the Hampton Inn next door? $151 incl tax for the same night and the parking and port transporation are free.

Have you considered making your own arrangements? Country Inns is on stay123.com for $115 + tax ($138) - it includes room, 14 night parking, and free breakfast. You can arrange your own transportation to the port at the times you want to go - Independent Driver - 888-816-0973 ext 0 - $40 for up to 4 people each way.

You're driving from NH so getting to Staten Island is another 20 minutes on top of an already long trip + about another $10 in tolls. Hilton Garden does not offer free breakfast. You also have no control as to when you go and return from the port.

I did this last Feb and was going to stay at the Hampton Inn, but I ultimately decided on a park/sleep at Newark Airport. I wanted to get off the ship, get a ride back to the hotel, and hit the road quickly. I did not want to wait around for "free" shuttles and then be leaving from Staten Island to drive back to Mass.

Folks have had a good experience with Hilton Gardens. However, their park/sleep/cruise package is $231+. Have you looked at the Hampton Inn next door? $151 incl tax for the same night and the parking and port transporation are free.

Have you considered making your own arrangements? Country Inns is on stay123.com for $115 + tax ($138) - it includes room, 14 night parking, and free breakfast. You can arrange your own transportation to the port at the times you want to go - Independent Driver - 888-816-0973 ext 0 - $40 for up to 4 people each way.

You're driving from NH so getting to Staten Island is another 20 minutes on top of an already long trip + about another $10 in tolls. Hilton Garden does not offer free breakfast. You also have no control as to when you go and return from the port.

I did this last Feb and was going to stay at the Hampton Inn, but I ultimately decided on a park/sleep at Newark Airport. I wanted to get off the ship, get a ride back to the hotel, and hit the road quickly. I did not want to wait around for "free" shuttles and then be leaving from Staten Island to drive back to Mass.

Your info is helpful! Where did you stay at the airport and did you use cruise transfers or a private company. If so, which one? We are undecided on parking at pier for $19 plus tax per day for 13 days or staying overnight and getting a park/sleep package with a service to pier. (or cruise ship transfers if possible)

I notice you have offered great info on this site as you have had a number of cruises out of Cape Liberty. This will be our first time out of Cape Liberty and so we are dependent on fellow cruisers info. Thanks!

I stayed at Fairfield Inn through trinityreservations.com and used Independent Driver to get to the pier. There were a bunch of folks from the cruise doing the same thing, so we got together and paid $10/pp each way. Forget the ship transfers - this isn't Florida. You have to arrange it yourself. I think the hotels that offer everything charge a lot more money for doing so.

When are you cruising? Where are you coming from? As I said, I'm seeing Country Inns on stay123.com for $138 incl tax. trinityreservations does not have their 2012 contracts finalized yet. I've stayed at CI as well - it would be a good deal - the hotel is similar to the Fairfield Inn and there are advantages to being next to the Jersey Gardens Mall. It's cheaper to do it yourself than to buy their cruise package with parking and transfers.

I stayed at Fairfield Inn through trinityreservations.com and used Independent Driver to get to the pier. There were a bunch of folks from the cruise doing the same thing, so we got together and paid $10/pp each way. Forget the ship transfers - this isn't Florida. You have to arrange it yourself. I think the hotels that offer everything charge a lot more money for doing so.

When are you cruising? Where are you coming from? As I said, I'm seeing Country Inns on stay123.com for $138 incl tax. trinityreservations does not have their 2012 contracts finalized yet. I've stayed at CI as well - it would be a good deal - the hotel is similar to the Fairfield Inn and there are advantages to being next to the Jersey Gardens Mall. It's cheaper to do it yourself than to buy their cruise package with parking and transfers.

We plan on Jan 17th cruise. We live in DE about 2 1/2- 3 hrs depending on traffic. Have you ever used trulimo? Also, is the Fairfield in the same area as Country Inn or at the airport. Thanks again.

Fairfield Inn and Country Inns are both at the airport. The Fairfield is on the north side of the airport near exit 14. Country Inns is on the SE side of the airport near exit 13A. Take a look at a map and you will see what I mean.

You're sailing in the middle of Jan, so allowing for weather is a concern. For a 12 day cruise parking at the pier is $226. Country Inns park/sleep would be $138 + $80 + tip for transportation - about the same money. I don't know what a limo from your home would be. You are also sailing on a weekday, which means that traffic is a consideration. I would definitely get myself to the Newark area the day before rather than leaving it for the morning of the cruise.

If it were me, I'd make a park/sleep reservation for 1/16 at Country Inns on stay123 and arrange transportation with Independent Driver. If you can find 2 more people on your roll call to do the same, each person would pay $10 to and from the pier, which would save you $40. On 1/16 I'd plan to leave DE midday to arrive in the Newark area before 4 pm. Go to Jersey Gardens Mall (they have a multiplex movie theater as well) or over to Ikea/ToysRus. Have dinner at Ruby Tuesdays or IHOP.

Going a day ahead you will have options in case of snow. Last year the DE/MD area got hit with a bunch of storms and folks were scrambling. Instead of driving, I'm sure you could take the train from DE to Newark Airport Station and the shuttle to the hotel. Bottom line is that you will be in Newark near the ship. Of course snow affects NJ as well, but they take really good care of the turnpike. No one has complained they were unable to get from Newark to Bayonne.

• 1 month later...

we stayed at the Hilton Garden, Staten Island last Feb. I highly recommend staying there. Beautiful hotel, reliable and prompt shuttle service. Lorenzo's restaurant was very good and reasonably priced. We went two nights early. We arrived from NH on Saturday. On Sunday we took a simple drive to the Staten Island ferry, it cost 5.50 to park our car. We took the ferry-which is free to Manhattan. I preordered tickets to the statue of Liberty crown view. We walked around Wall street and had the best bagels. When we took the ferry back to Staten Island our car was just as we left it. We drove back to the hotel and were greeted with warm cookies. On Monday morning the shuttle was promptly waiting to take us to the cruise port. When we disembarked from the ship, the shuttle was there promptly as planned.

Archived