Warfarin - INR testing / Aurora crise R118

parleycruise

I take warfarin tablets and usually have INR blood test every 3 / 4 weeks. Cruise I am on is 36 nights, guessing that change of diet will play havoc with readings. Anyone with experience of on board testing or visit to local clinic for tests

I know they do INRs on board for passengers, but I assume you'd need to arrange it with P&O Medical Dept and that there would be a charge.

As a lifetime warfarin user I bought a little testing INR reader years ago (am I allowed to say Coagucheck) so I have never needed to use the medical centre for testing.

As I am sure you know INR is somewhat unpredictable and the complete change of diet and environment aboard ship can cause some big changes.

I would contact Cunard (though my recent experience of doing that is not too encouraging) and check that they have testing equipment aboard.

There will certainly be a charge.

David.

• 1 month later...

We are on Aurora for 54 nights Sydney to Southampton and did not know about the INF reader (see Balf above). Stopped Warfin in March 2010 but a recent round of AF has me back on the "rat poison". Am assuming the Medical Centre will do a test and charge me. DANCING DOLLY of Davidson NSW

hi there you can still buy the testing kit called Coagucheck and get the test strips on the nhs your nurse at the practice should be able to give you the address its about £300 its a lot but no more trips to the doctors for testing so saves a lot of time.

as for your original question yes all p&o ships will do the test for you the total bill is going to be £60 this is made up of the test and the consultation and the test. they do have stock of the warfarin or you can go on shore and walk into any doctors do the test but again a fee is going to be charged looking back its about £20.

all the best royce

[a long term warfarin and p&o cruiser]

Archived