disembarking in fort lauderdale and flight time

saturn1

I am taking Amtrak after my Royal cruise in December. Could I make

The 9am train, which is the shorter of the two daily trains. The other

Leaves at 12:30pm. However that one is 30 hours and the earlier one

Is 26 hours.

Again, short answer: NO. The Amtrak station is west of I-95 and south of the airport/port. You'd never get there in time. Don't even attempt it!

We waited in the security line on a Monday morning in January 2013 at FLL for 1 1/2 hours. Talking to the TSA agent, he said that weekends and Mondays were especially busy--with the cruise ships and people making a weekend trip to Florida.

We flew out in March 2013 on Wednesday, no wait at all.

If you are off the ship at 8 AM, you should be at the airport by 8:45--if there are no problems. But that would be cutting it too close for me!

In July 2013, the escalator wasn't working at the Carnival terminal in Ft. Lauderdale, so people were only allowed to take the elevator down. Also, according to the Carnival staff, Customs was two employees short. Took almost an hour to get through customs and immigration.

We have disembarked twice in FLL during the last year. Both times were on Sundays. Both times it took us forever to get off the ship because of customs. Last October it took so long that we missed our flight and because of Sandy we couldn't get a flight home until late on Monday. We ended up renting mini van and driving home. The second time last March, we had the same problem with customs, but this time we drove both ways to FLL.

Do not take the Princess shuttle to the airport. As mentioned by others the shuttle won't leave until it is full. At the airport, the driver will not let you off the shuttle until he as unloaded all the luggage onto the sidewalk according to local law. Everyone on our shuttle felt like we were being held hostage on the bus.

My advice is always book a late flight, take a cab to the airport, and if possible just drive to the port.

Roger, N7BU

Oh dear, we have a 9:30-something flight out on a Sunday on our cruise from the royal. We'll try to be the first off the ship. Does FLL have TSA precheck? That might help.

We booked it because we saved a lot of money, and the airline I agent I booked with told me it was doable. (she said she's done it, she lives in Florida)

We also can just take a later flight if needed.

I seem to remember, though, the other time we cruised out of there we took the princess shuttle to Miami airport and were there before 10:00, so a cab to fll may work.

Julie I would check the port load on Cruise TT web site. Very easy to use.

This will give you indication of how crowded the air port will be for that day. If you have a heavy port load you can expect the air port will be crowded and very busy. I agree with Pam -- FLL can be extremely busy so have plan "B" ready.

Bottom line: Book a later flight. The risk is to great to miss your flight.

John

Yes, I stand corrected. I thought Amtrak had opened up at FLL South. But the location between Broward and Davie Blvds. is even worse situation for the poster to get to train in time. So I still say "no, don't attempt it".

I would say that simply about taking the train! :)

On the other hand, there is no requirement that you

be at the train station 1-2 hours early, so you would

save time there.

Be in the first group of walk-offs, grab a cab, and I think

you could be at the train station in time.

Oh dear, we have a 9:30-something flight out on a Sunday on our cruise from the royal. We'll try to be the first off the ship. Does FLL have TSA precheck? That might help.

We booked it because we saved a lot of money, and the airline I agent I booked with told me it was doable. (she said she's done it, she lives in Florida)

We also can just take a later flight if needed.

I seem to remember, though, the other time we cruised out of there we took the princess shuttle to Miami airport and were there before 10:00, so a cab to fll may work.

I have also booked a 9:30 flight off Royal on Sunday Nov 3 at FLL. I thought that would be plenty of time! Got a web special price and cannot change. Guess if I miss it, I hope to be able to catch another without costing a lot of time delay and money.

• 1 month later...
I have also booked a 9:30 flight off Royal on Sunday Nov 3 at FLL. I thought that would be plenty of time! Got a web special price and cannot change. Guess if I miss it, I hope to be able to catch another without costing a lot of time delay and money.

What time did you end up walking off the Royal? Did you make your

9:30am flight? I called Princess and the rep said that the Royal doesn't

Get into Port Everglades till 7am. And the first self embark passengers

Are allowed to start around 8:30am. But I keep hearing people are starting

To leave by 7am?

Don't know how often this is the case, but we walked off the Royal on 11/10, went through customs quickly, waited about 10 minutes for a cab, and was seated at our gate at Soutwest terminal in Fll at 730 am for our 1030 flight. The ship was docked earlier than the 7 am stated time obviously and our walk off time to assemble in the dining room was 615 . Good luck!