Belize and Roatan - Malaria advice please?

sarar

I will be on a Princess cruise visiting the caribbean in January, where two of the ports are Belize and Roatan. I have read in the small print of the Princess brochure, that you need to seek medical advice about malaria vaccination/medication before travel to these countries, is this correct and has anyone had this?

Take lots of bug spray and cover everywhere just in case. Mosquito's are carriers and there are even reported cases every year here in the US.

We did cave tubing in Belize and hiked in the rain forest and didn't have a problem with bugs other than biting red ants.

We did zip lining in the forest with no problems and the rest of the day a beach day in Roatan with no problem.

The only problem we encountered with bugs/mosquitos were at Costa Maya Mexico and it was BAD! We were ate alive...so it could happen anywhere. Just take precautions. :)

the mosquitos, that carry malaria, come out at sun down. since our cruise left way before sun down and we had used buy spray when we at lamanai (surrounded by jungle)...we didn't have any problems. but it is one of the reasons you can't give blood, for a year, after visiting these places. of most ppl, the vaccinations have side-effects, if i was going to belize for a long visit...like a month camping in the jungle..i would think about it.

Archived