8 hours in Grand Cayman

Isa65

We will be in Grand Cayman in April and are trying to come up with a plan for this port of call.

Who can give any advice? We do not want to dive, snorkel, snuba, swim with turtles or stingrays nor do we want to spend an entire day at the beach. In other words - no water sports...

What else is there to do & see on the island? We were thinking about getting a day room at the Marriott or the Westin, but to tender and just go stay in an expensive hotel room is really not a wise decision....

Anyone have alternative ideas???

One of my favorite things to do anywhere is to go to Stingray City on Grand Cayman and swim with the rays. It is a real thrill. And very safe.

The OP mentioned she/he didn't want to do stingrays or water type activities.

OP - Grand Cayman is one of those ports that the main attractions are beach and water sports related. However, you could hire a taxi driver to take you around the island just to get a look at it. There is the turtle farm (I'm not a fan but others are), Hell which is basically a little gift shop with some lava rocks outside, and you can also stroll through town where there are lots of shops and places to eat. The two times I've been there I've traveled with people who weren't water sports fans either. There isn't that much to do besides what I listed if you aren't into water sports. Although, I don't know if you would consider this a watersport, my mom and I did the Atlantis Submarine and really liked it.

I noticed you took the Atlantis Sub. I've been looking into doing this but have a few questions.

I have difficulty with one leg.. Will I be able to transfer from the tender to the sub. without difficulty and how many stair will I need to climb down into the sub?

It really sounds like a "bucket list" thing to do. Thanks.

Our day in Grand Cayman would typically be get a cab to 7MB and stay there until noon. Cab back to town and do the shopping thing around the downtown. Then walk back to the tender pier and go back to ship and have a late lunch or room service.

Thank you, all!

Atlantis Submarine - did you get to see much of the underwater life?

@eh2zed - where abouts 7M beach do you usually strike down? Looking for shades and a place to get cool drinks.

Thank you, all!

@eh2zed - where abouts 7M beach do you usually strike down? Looking for shades and a place to get cool drinks.

On our Atlantis Submarine trip we saw alot of underwater life. Lots of fish, eels, turtles, etc. But I think it really is the luck of the draw as there is really no control what might be going by the windows while you are down there

I noticed you took the Atlantis Sub. I've been looking into doing this but have a few questions.

I have difficulty with one leg.. Will I be able to transfer from the tender to the sub. without difficulty and how many stair will I need to climb down into the sub?

It really sounds like a "bucket list" thing to do. Thanks.

You will have to walk to the Atlantis Sub area after you get off the tender from your ship. At the sub facility there is a platform you stand on and then you have to go down the stairs into the sub. It's been awhile since I did it. I think maybe 10 stairs at the very most - straight down though. There is crew there to help you. I'm not sure how much problems you have with your leg so hard to say. You could try emailing the company and asking them as well.

Thank you, all!

Isa65 we tell the cabbie we want to go to a spot that is away from the services. Just ask the cabbie what you want and they will know exactly where to take you.

Archived