Sanya Sights

maggie3

Our HAL cruise in January will visit Sanya for a day. The shore excursion offerings are limited. We can't decide between these two choices and hope previous visitors can please advise:

"Chinese minority Village"--Visit a local ethnic village in the Ganshi Ridge National Natural Reserve and view a folklore show by the Chiyou ethnic minority group.

or

"Best of Sanya"--Nanshan Cultural Resort-Visit Nanshan temple encircled by mountains and facing the Chuina Sea; View the Guanyin Statue of Hainan, which faces in three directions.

Any advice? Anything here not to be missed?

I am the original poster for this question. Surely someone must have something to say about these experiences. We know there are negative features for both excursions. We simply don't want to stay on the ship while in port. Would the Nanshan location at least provide beautiful views?

Hi Maggie,

I don't know what the answer is but we booked The Best of Sanya. I guess it sounded good. You are just across the bridge from us. We don't get down there very often but it is a beautiful area.

Sylvia

Hi Maggie and Sylvia,

My husband and I will be visiting Sanya on January 18th. Will you also be on the Zaandam? I did a little research on Trip Advisor and found that the Nanshan Temple is number #4 out of 59 attractions in Sanya. The Nanshan Temple is the main attraction on "The Best of Sanya" excursion, so it looks like a good choice. Go to http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g297427-d2070915-Reviews-Nanshan_Temple-Sanya_Hainan.html and read the review and have a look at the 41 travellers' photos of the place.

Happy travelling!

Judy.

Hi Judy,

Thanks for showing us those pictures of Sanya. It helps us know a little about what we are doing.

Come and join our roll call if you wish. Go to Roll Calls, Holland America, and then our date of Jan 22. It is alot of fun to meet people on line that will be on our ship. We are on page 22 so there is alot of reading to do but it is fun!!

Sylvia

Hi Maggie

We visited Sanya in 2010 on a RCI cruise. If you follow the link to Travelpod in my sif below and then go to Legendary trip down the coast of Asia blog, you'll be able to read about our day in Sanya. Lots of pics as well.

We got the shuttle into town and then took a cab to 'the end of the world'. An odd and wonderful day that concluded with an odd and wonderful meal.

Hainan was hit by a recent typhoon. Roads were bad when we were there. Can't imagine what they'll be like now :)

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the information and pictures, Judy and Pete. Judy, the Tripadvisor link gives a good look at the cultural park and Pete, you certainly did soak up some local atmosphere. Loved the "jams".

Years ago we had seen an evening Chinese minority musical production, outdoors with the karst formations of the bay in Yangshuo in the background.

There were 600 performers. I was wondering if the Chinese minority show on the ship's excursion might be a similarly impressive production, though in daylight.

We certainly do hope that as more travelers return from Sanya, they might add to this post. Whichever excursion we choose, I think we will have a good day in Sanya.

Archived