Just Back from the Mercury--Mini review

kelmac

Kelmac,

everyone seems to say on the boards here that no matter when you sail to the Mexican Riviera all 4 of the sea days are too cold to sun out by the pool.

Would you agree?

Liz

Hi Liz,

The trick here, is to find a sunny spot protected from the wind. We went up stairs, above deck 12 along that dark blue area around the "stacks". That wall heats up, and with no wind, it got real nice!!:cool: Did about four hours a day (both days southbound) out at this location. There were about a dozen lounge chairs up there, but a few people would just walk down and bring a chair up. The people in the port side sky suites seemed to have a nice spot to sun as well (southbound).

Enjoy your cruise!

Kel

We had Yolanda as our Cabin Attendant(deck 12) in Feb on the Merc, also had Sasha as our Asst m'aitrde. Both were excellent.

MChick,

That was a great location on the ship. No foot traffic and quiet. One couple down the hall had a baby and Yolanda spent hours holding and playing with that child. We had such great service this cruise, we kind of bumped the tips up above our usual amount.

Enjoy!

Kel

stormyc,

Thanks! My wife and I fly back and forth between Phoenix, Tucson and Albuquerque almost once a month. We like to build up all those SWA points--we've got four free tickets to use to fly to all those cruise ports. My wife's parents live in Tucson (great golf!!) and I fly to Phoenix to play golf/watch the Phoenix open..., It's 20 degrees warmer in Phoenix/Tucson than ABQ all winter long.

Enjoy!

Kel

Yes, we collect the SWA points as well, and those free tickets really come in handy for hopping around to various fun weekends or vacation destinations.

We've had so much WELCOME rain here in Arizona over the winter months - after years of drought - and are now enjoying some "spring green" all around us. The golf courses are really lush right now! I love beautiful ABQ and your spectacular views, but you cannot beat Phoenix if you really enjoy the heat!

Have a great day!

Hi Liz,

The trick here, is to find a sunny spot protected from the wind. We went up stairs, above deck 12 along that dark blue area around the "stacks". That wall heats up, and with no wind, it got real nice!!:cool: Did about four hours a day (both days southbound) out at this location. There were about a dozen lounge chairs up there, but a few people would just walk down and bring a chair up. The people in the port side sky suites seemed to have a nice spot to sun as well (southbound).

Enjoy your cruise!

Kel

\

Kel,

I am from Fresno before moving to the Bay Area 30 years ago and I am still a heatnik. I get cold really easy! Thanks for th tip on where to hang and still get a little warmth up & back without being in the wind. I do not expect to get a Sky Suite on Sky deck so my balcony will be covered if so.

Liz:p

Kel

We will be on the Zuiderdam 12/30 New Year's Cruise. How about you?

Have a great btob. How does that work with 2 different ships?

Phyllis

babyg

HI Phyllis,

On the BtoB, with different ships, you just ask to be one of last persons off and then take a short taxi ride over to the other ship and go through the boarding process again. Lauren and I have the luxury of loads to time, so we always try to stretch our vacations out to two+ weeks. During the holidays (2005), we are doing a BtoB, matching the Costa Mediterranea with the Coral Princess. Maybe we will see the "Z" in one of our ports??

Enjoy!

Kel

Stormyc,

Now, you KNOW you can beat Phoenix by visiting TUCSON :)

(Just had to do it...)

Karen

Okay, you've got me there! :D

Of course, the weather over the last few months has been so weird - not used to rain and green AT ALL! And some weird bugs I'm not used to seeing! :o

It's starting to heat up now, though, isn't it? Sooo here we go!!

You are right about here we go...I'm going on the Mercury on Saturday. Gotta get out of the 90s here :)

Karen

Oh, how mahvelous!!! :) Have a great time!!!! The heat will be waiting patiently for you!

Stormyc,

Now, you KNOW you can beat Phoenix by visiting TUCSON :)

(Just had to do it...)

Karen

Hi Karen,

Lauren's parents live in Tucson! We travel there 3 or 4 times during the winter--it's a full 20 degrees warmer there than here in ABQ. They live on the Arizona National Golf course, at Sabino Springs. Love that golf course!:D

Enjoy!

Kel

Hi Kel,

We used to live .5 mile from that golf course. Our kids went to the high school right there. We now live in the Tucson foothills in a townhome since the kids are grown. Less to take care of and more time to cruise!

We are leaving on Saturday. Only ONE more day to work!!!!

Karen

Hi Kel,

We used to live .5 mile from that golf course. Our kids went to the high school right there. We now live in the Tucson foothills in a townhome since the kids are grown. Less to take care of and more time to cruise!

We are leaving on Saturday. Only ONE more day to work!!!!

Karen

Karen,

Looks like a nice High School! Lauren and I live in a condo, so we can just lock the doors and take off weeks on end. I always say "the more crap you accumulate, the more time you have to stay home and protect and maintain your crap." ;)

Enjoy!

Kel

Yup, I hear that. We have made it to the pre-cruise hotel. It is in the upper 50s here. So much nicer than the 90 we left!

Can't wait until sailing off tomorrow. Talk to ya later!

Karen

Yup, I hear that. We have made it to the pre-cruise hotel. It is in the upper 50s here. So much nicer than the 90 we left!

Can't wait until sailing off tomorrow. Talk to ya later!

Karen

Have a wonderful Cruise!!:D :cool:

Kel

• 3 weeks later...
\

Kel,

I am from Fresno before moving to the Bay Area 30 years ago and I am still a heatnik. I get cold really easy! Thanks for th tip on where to hang and still get a little warmth up & back without being in the wind. I do not expect to get a Sky Suite on Sky deck so my balcony will be covered if so.

Liz:p

Kel,

looking back here, I sure called it wrong!!

I got the Sky Suite after all..

Should have kept the faith................

Liz

Kel,

looking back here, I sure called it wrong!!

I got the Sky Suite after all..

Should have kept the faith................

Liz

Liz,

I hope you had a wonderful cruise!:D

Enjoy!

Kel

thanks for the review. Did they do anything special for easter? We are sailing her next year for Easter.

hardingk,

We were in Cabo on Easter Sunday, so I didn't notice anything different. Perhaps, I just didn't look in the right places.

Enjoy!

Kel

Hey Chris and Liz,

Just back from the Mercury 4-17 cruise. How great it was!!! Honestly...a beautiful ship....our room was really really dirty though. There was a dirty bedspread under our bed, and our shower had black mold in the seams as well as on the shower curtain (some folks don't mind a little mildew- I do). We had the room steward clean it, but the cleaning materials just don't have the power to get rid of mildew..... we bought some bleach, a baby bottle to squirt it on the seams with and honestly we cleaned our own bathroom and got rid of the mildew. It is an older crowd and we closed the navigator club a few nights in a row....dancing etc...There is a wonderful quartet which plays in the cova cafe- they even allowed me to play a little violin, which I enjoyed. There is also a fabulous group of guys who sing acapella (SP) style- very very good. The cruise director Drew was really nice, and robin was a riot at bingo- from Austrailia. I noticed that his humor really dimmed by the end of the cruise.....The hours must have gotten to him.

The food was awesome, service incredible. We were unable to attend the cc party because we had booked an excursion. I hope you have a great cruise.

Donna and Francis

So not true Eandee! We just got back from the 3/30/05 cruise on the Mercury and it was fabulous by the pool! Not cold at all! (Hubby got the sunburn of his life, and now resembles a leper:p ) (No offense to anyone, anywhere with a skin desease) So pack you suit and sunscreen and have a blast!

Kelmac,

everyone seems to say on the boards here that no matter when you sail to the Mexican Riviera all 4 of the sea days are too cold to sun out by the pool.

Would you agree?

Liz

Hey Chris and Liz,

Just back from the Mercury 4-17 cruise. How great it was!!! Honestly...a beautiful ship....our room was really really dirty though. There was a dirty bedspread under our bed, and our shower had black mold in the seams as well as on the shower curtain (some folks don't mind a little mildew- I do). We had the room steward clean it, but the cleaning materials just don't have the power to get rid of mildew..... we bought some bleach, a baby bottle to squirt it on the seams with and honestly we cleaned our own bathroom and got rid of the mildew. It is an older crowd and we closed the navigator club a few nights in a row....dancing etc...There is a wonderful quartet which plays in the cova cafe- they even allowed me to play a little violin, which I enjoyed. There is also a fabulous group of guys who sing acapella (SP) style- very very good. The cruise director Drew was really nice, and robin was a riot at bingo- from Austrailia. I noticed that his humor really dimmed by the end of the cruise.....The hours must have gotten to him.

The food was awesome, service incredible. We were unable to attend the cc party because we had booked an excursion. I hope you have a great cruise.

Donna and Francis

What room was this?

Well, it's clean now??

I didn't plan to bring mold cleaner or bleach but I hate mold too.

When you own a sailboat it is always a pest!

I heard to get rid of the bedspreads!

Liz

Archived