Caribbean from New York-weather?

CruiserDoc

We are considering a Caribbean cruise that leaves from New York in early March. There are 3 days at sea after leaving NY on the way to the Caribbean & coming back at the end of the cruise. We're concerned with the weather. We'd appreciate comments from anyone who has experienced this. How many of the days at sea were too cold to be outside on deck? What about New York in the winter-cold and windy??

Thanks!

Tom

You will probably be in cold to cool weather for the first two days and the last two days. I have done the a similiar cruise and lived in NJ for most of my life. I would not expect to be out on deck for at least a day and half. The rest of the time will depend on how warm it is in the area of Florida as you pass by.

A lot will also depend on how fast the ship is going. It only takes about two days to get to warm weather, you will have three days before you get to a port. I would suspect they might be taking a leisurely ride down the coast.

NY in March can be hit or miss...it can be cold, windy & snowy, or we might get a sneak peak of spring (I've seen days in the 50s and low 60s sometimes in March). I would expect it would be coat weather, especially if it is early March.

We are on the Jan 29 Silhouette cruise. We live in Brooklyn and have cruised from NYC in the winter 4 times. Early March is likely to be warmer than January when we have cruised, but you never can tell. Once we left on Jan 5 and it was 75 degrees in NY when we left. We ate outside in tee shirts and have the pictures to prove it. It was 20 degrees when we got back but it was only the last sea day that was cold.

There are a lot of things to see and places to go in NY if the weather is bad and I am looking forward to actually doing some things indoors on the Silly. Usually I'm too happy being by the pool to go inside for any activity even if it seems interesting or likely to be fun.

Are you sailing on Silhouette? If so, it doesn't actually leave from New York, but rather from Bayonne, NJ. Not much of a difference, but just wanted to point that out if you're making transportation plans.

Having said that, keep in mind that Silhouette also has an enclosed solarium. We are booked on the March 29 sailing and I'm not at all concerned about weather. It'll probably be cold the day you depart, cool the next day and by the second day at sea, you should be in "palm tree" weather. I look at is as a good opportunity to learn my way around the ship those first couple of days.

Jo-Ann

We've done a similar sailing twice from Baltimore over the winter holidays and loved it. As others said, the first and last two days are unlikely to be suitable for balcony sitting. We loved the 3 consecutive sea days in each direction as well.

j

Archived