Caribbean from New York-weather?

CruiserDoc

We are considering a Caribbean cruise that leaves from New York in Feb or March. There are a few days at sea after leaving NY on the way to the Caribbean & then again coming back at the end of the cruise. We're concerned with the weather. We'd appreciate comments from anyone who has experienced this. How many of the days at sea were too cold to be outside on deck? What about New York in the winter-cold and windy??

Thanks!

Tom

I am sure you'll get some response from cruisers who have sailed in mid-winter. In any case, this may help.

Go to wunderground dot com

Click on Travel & Activities (top right)

and select Trip Planner.

Now select NYC and one of your destination cities, a range of dates, and click Submit.

You'll get a summary with averages and a table with detailed weather info for the last ten years, for each day and destination you have selected.

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

We've cruised out of New York in December for 12 day cruise to Southern Caribbean and IMHO it's a great itinerary.

Takes 2 days at sea to first Caribbean port and during that time you can both wind and strip down.

On the return it takes 1.5 at sea (from GSC) and during the time you can relax a bit (after lots of port days) and pack and enjoy last day.

We find 7 day cruises far too short for us, and we'd take the 12 day cruises out of New York again. It's a short air hop from Bermuda.

We sailed out of NYC in Feb '05, and did the sailaway on one of the front balconies - we wore coats and hats because it was chilly when underway, but not unbearable. That being said, it could be colder on the day you sail ... can't really predict that. ;) Also, depending on where you're from, it may or may not seem that cold to you... we're from snow country, so we're kinda used to the cold.

By the time we woke up the following morning, we thought we were in heaven, because the weather was so warm already. If you'd like more details, click on the link in my signature.

Happy Sailing!

We sailed out of New York in February, 2009. The weather was really cold when we left, but on the first sea day it was in the 70's. By the second day it was tropical! We loved sailing out of NY and will be doing it again next October. We highly recommend it!!:D

We sailed out of NY in March 2010 and it was the warmest departure they'd had yet that year, it was in the 70s when we left NYC.

But it had been rainy and cold the week before. You never know but I'd say prepare to be cold the first and last day.

WE have been sailing out of NY for eight years plus in Feb. Yes it can be cold out on the ocean for the first sea day but it gradually warms up. Some years the second day I am in a sweat shirt. Other years by the end of the second day was in shorts....it all depends...but it feels so nice sailing into warm weather in Feb. Now sailing back into the cold is another story. :eek:

We be sailing this Feb to on RCCL out on NJ....I like the longer cruisers...planing next year on NCL.

Marie

End of Feb. 2007 on the Dawn. Left NY on a sunny cold winter day. Spectacular sunset as we passed the Statue of Liberty. Pink and purple streaks in the sky. We found a wonderful warm spot on deck 13 (if I recall) in front of an air vent with warm air coming out. Kids were in the hot-tub soon after and then in the pool. Oh to be a young teenager.

The next morning it was still cool but comfortable enough to enjoy a lounge chair with pants and a sweat shirt in the morning and T-shirt in the PM. People did go in the pool but it didn't appeal to me yet.

The next day we ran into a BIG storm. A true Nor'easter. Although the outside temps were not cold, the wind and waves were so bad that the promenade deck was closed and the pool was too. Many, many people were sick, bags left all over the ship so you could grab if needed. A crowd of us who were not, hung out in the Spinnaker Lounge and had a 'wave' party, laughing when the waves hit the windows. I realize this is now all cabins and think it might be less amusing if you were alone in your suite to watch this.

We ended up missing our first port, San Juan, which upset many people. By the third morning it was normal Caribbean weather.

Would I do it again? Yes, because nobody in my family got sick but if we had been, I'm not sure I would take the risk again.

This past March we sailed from NYC, it was windy, but not very cold. I had on a sweatshirt and jeans. First day at sea was cool, but the pools and hottubs were filled with people. By the second day it warmed up. On our way back to NY the last sea day was cool. We enjoyed sailing in March, and will do it again. Bring a few long sleeve shirt, sweat shirts and a light jacket for the way down and back.

We sailed from NYC this past February, '11, and loved it. It was FREEZING during sail away and we had several snow storms up until the week prior to departure. By the end of the first full sea day, everyone was in shorts, enjoying the warm temps. By the time we got to FL, it was hot and sunny. Loved it. Not a cloud in the sky until our last night at sea when we hit a rough patch, but it was fine and no one seemed adversely effected.

Loved it so much, getting out of the city via cab, mid-winter, that we're doing it again in '12.

Archived