Would like to know how you feel about....

bling19572010

what is the best cruiseline (great food, accessible room, clean, large ship, itinerary) to take on a Greek Island Cruise. (My Mother is in a wheelchair and cruising the greek islands is on her Bucket List....so I want to make is very special for her.) I would really appreciate your input.

what is the best cruiseline (great food, accessible room, clean, large ship, itinerary) to take on a Greek Island Cruise. (My Mother is in a wheelchair and cruising the greek islands is on her Bucket List....so I want to make is very special for her.) I would really appreciate your input.

Lots and lots of great options. Much depends on what you want to spend/budget and the size of ship you like best. What style of cruise line, level of "great" food quality do you desire/can afford??? Some of the newer ships, such as the Celebrity Solstice-class, are better designed for their ship details to make it easier for those in wheelchairs in their accessible rooms. Some higher-end cruise lines have better staff ratios and can be more "personalized" to maybe help more than certain of the large "mass" lines. How "great" of food do you seek? Tell us more!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 42,859 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Lots and lots of great options. Much depends on what you want to spend/budget and the size of ship you like best. What style of cruise line, level of "great" food quality do you desire/can afford??? Some of the newer ships, such as the Celebrity Solstice-class, are better designed for their ship details to make it easier for those in wheelchairs in their accessible rooms. Some higher-end cruise lines have better staff ratios and can be more "personalized" to maybe help more than certain of the large "mass" lines. How "great" of food do you seek? Tell us more!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 42,859 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

My parents have sailed on RCCL 2 times (Adventurer & Radiance) and 1 time on Celebrity Century. They like the layout/size and food better on RCCL (Adventurer). We would like a price in line with either RCCL & Celebrity. Ideally we would like to sail from and back to the United States. We hear the airports in Europe can be very difficult to navigate. We want to sail the Eastern Med. The total amount of time spent during this vacation would be 2 weeks. I know that my Mother (wheelchair bound) wouldn't be able to visit Santorini but the rest of us would like to see/tour it. We would like to be able to take our mother to visit the rest of the island on our itinerary. Thank you for your input!!!!

I think you will have to do a lot of research for a cruise to the Greek Isles with someone in a wheelchair. Many ports are tender ports, all the archaeological sites involve many steps, uneven pavement, etc. The towns are the same way - uneven paving stones, stairs, etc. Most of the tours invovled buses that did not appear to have a lift. I don't think you should not do it, I just think that you will have to do your research and planning carefully. My husband and I commented several times about how we were glad we were doing our visit while we still had mobile abilities. Please note that you can now take an elevator up to the Acropolis in Athens, but it requires special paperwork from your doctor. Someone has posted the information on this forum recently.

Athens airport is quite small and modern. I don't think you would have a problem flying into Athens and then getting suitable transport to the port. Everything was very easy at this airport and it is very uncrowded. I would suggest looking on the cruising with disabilities forum on this site,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

and try to find some people who have this experience. Whatever you do, do not have a connecting flight, especially through CDG.

I do not think that you will find a ship that sails over to the islands, spends a week and sails back all in 2 weeks. Most go over and stay for months then come back to the Caribbean for the winter months.

I wish you good luck and know that your work will truly pay off as this is an extremely wonderful area to visit. Please also be aware of the continuous taxi strikes which may affect any privately arranged car services.

My parents have sailed on RCCL 2 times (Adventurer & Radiance) and 1 time on Celebrity Century. They like the layout/size and food better on RCCL (Adventurer). We would like a price in line with either RCCL & Celebrity. Ideally we would like to sail from and back to the United States. We hear the airports in Europe can be very difficult to navigate. We want to sail the Eastern Med. The total amount of time spent during this vacation would be 2 weeks. I know that my Mother (wheelchair bound) wouldn't be able to visit Santorini but the rest of us would like to see/tour it. We would like to be able to take our mother to visit the rest of the island on our itinerary. Thank you for your input!!!!

THANKS for the added background info on your mother and the various needs/interests! I would say the odds are pretty much "slim and none" in finding an all-sailing option coming from and returning to the USA that can do it "ALL" in only a two-week period for the Greek Isles.

Many airports can be large and challenging. As noted by ddpe, the Athens airport is very new and not that big (compared to Paris, London, Frankfurt, Madrid, Rome, etc.). Right now, of course, things are very uncertain in Athens and Greece due to their economic problems and From our sailing on the Celebrity Solstice, I was very impressed with the details for how they had the accessible room arranged, the technology for door opening designed, etc., etc. My sense is that newer ships are generally going to be better in the way as to how they have engineered those features to better make it easier for those in wheel chairs. This includes automatic opening doors for cabins, rest rooms, etc.

Keep looking and researching. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I think you will have to do a lot of research for a cruise to the Greek Isles with someone in a wheelchair. Many ports are tender ports, all the archaeological sites involve many steps, uneven pavement, etc. The towns are the same way - uneven paving stones, stairs, etc. Most of the tours invovled buses that did not appear to have a lift. I don't think you should not do it, I just think that you will have to do your research and planning carefully. My husband and I commented several times about how we were glad we were doing our visit while we still had mobile abilities. Please note that you can now take an elevator up to the Acropolis in Athens, but it requires special paperwork from your doctor. Someone has posted the information on this forum recently.

Athens airport is quite small and modern. I don't think you would have a problem flying into Athens and then getting suitable transport to the port. Everything was very easy at this airport and it is very uncrowded. I would suggest looking on the cruising with disabilities forum on this site,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

and try to find some people who have this experience. Whatever you do, do not have a connecting flight, especially through CDG.

I do not think that you will find a ship that sails over to the islands, spends a week and sails back all in 2 weeks. Most go over and stay for months then come back to the Caribbean for the winter months.

I wish you good luck and know that your work will truly pay off as this is an extremely wonderful area to visit. Please also be aware of the continuous taxi strikes which may affect any privately arranged car services.

Thank you for your helpful information and honest opinion!!

THANKS for the added background info on your mother and the various needs/interests! I would say the odds are pretty much "slim and none" in finding an all-sailing option coming from and returning to the USA that can do it "ALL" in only a two-week period for the Greek Isles.

Many airports can be large and challenging. As noted by ddpe, the Athens airport is very new and not that big (compared to Paris, London, Frankfurt, Madrid, Rome, etc.). Right now, of course, things are very uncertain in Athens and Greece due to their economic problems and From our sailing on the Celebrity Solstice, I was very impressed with the details for how they had the accessible room arranged, the technology for door opening designed, etc., etc. My sense is that newer ships are generally going to be better in the way as to how they have engineered those features to better make it easier for those in wheel chairs. This includes automatic opening doors for cabins, rest rooms, etc.

Keep looking and researching. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you so much for your post...I really appreciate the input. If my Mother isn't able to get off on the Greek Islands, will her balcony view from the ship be just as beautiful??

Even though your mother will probably not be able to go ashore in Santorini she will have a wonderful view. The ship stops in the middle of the caldara with 360 degree views. Hopefully the other stops will dock and you can try to see as much as she can. Can she get out of the wheel chair and walk at all. Some cruise lines have tours for people in wheel chairs. You might want to check that out before you book. There is a board on here for disabled cruisers.

As already stated try not to have to go through a European city. In Frankfort and CDG we had to disembark the plane by walking down stairs. You might want to look at a transatlantic that does some good ports but you will have about 6 days at sea and then most do western med not the Greek Islands. I really like Princess's Greek Island cruise. We are leaving on Thursday to do it for the second time.

Even though your mother will probably not be able to go ashore in Santorini she will have a wonderful view. The ship stops in the middle of the caldara with 360 degree views. Hopefully the other stops will dock and you can try to see as much as she can. Can she get out of the wheel chair and walk at all. Some cruise lines have tours for people in wheel chairs. You might want to check that out before you book. There is a board on here for disabled cruisers.

As already stated try not to have to go through a European city. In Frankfort and CDG we had to disembark the plane by walking down stairs. You might want to look at a transatlantic that does some good ports but you will have about 6 days at sea and then most do western med not the Greek Islands. I really like Princess's Greek Island cruise. We are leaving on Thursday to do it for the second time.

Thank you and have fun on your cruise!!

Archived