San Juan --Day Before???

JMA

Whenever I cruise, I always fly in a day ahead of time (leaving from Miinnesota in the winter...). But next Feb we are flying to San Juan, and cruising from there. This time we are thinking about using RCCL air fare, because it is so much cheaper than we can find anywhere else...( about $359 round trip). We've been to Puerto Rico a few times before, so no need to sightsee there.

Do you forsee any problems leaving from Minneapolis early in the AM to get to San Juan, using cruise air, and also buying insurance?????

JMA

Minneapolis + February = snow

If that's not a concern for you, go for it.

Is it a policy of "cruise air" that you can't fly down the day before? (I've never used it b/c it's always been so much more expensive)

Is it a policy of "cruise air" that you can't fly down the day before? (I've never used it b/c it's always been so much more expensive)

That is what pre cruise hotel packages and air deviations are for. You can get cruise air the day prior to your cruise. You just have to ask them to quote it and then you can decide if you want to do it.

Do you forsee any problems leaving from Minneapolis early in the AM to get to San Juan, using cruise air, and also buying insurance?????

There is no "problem" with this strategy as long as you are willing to take the risk and understand the consequences. Most particularly, not all insurance is alike. For example, some policies will only reimburse you a credit for a future cruise and will not give you in cash the entire amount of your cruise fare. The credit can range between 75 and 90 percent of the cruise fare. If the weather is severe enough and you elect to catch up with the cruise at a subsequent port, the insurance may cover the cost involved, but you will have missed one or two days of your cruise. Basically, the choice is yours to make.

Wow!! $359 round trip from Minn. to SJU next Feb??? We just booked a Celebrity cruise for Presidents' Week next Feb. and I haven't found a round trip flight for under $800!!! We may have to go with cruise air just to keep the price around $650 from Providence. We cannot fly into SJU a day early because our school is very strict about granting us a day off before a vacation!!

Deb

I guess it depends on which airline you are flying.

Personally, I would fly in a day early to avoid being worried.

We flew to San Juan last December and they lost our luggage and it didn't catch up to us for 2 1/2 days. Mostly because it kept missing the ship.

Fly in a day early if you have luggage problems hopefully you can get them all worked out before you start your cruise.

We fly from Iowa so I know what you mean about flying in a day early and also about high air fare to SJU. From Des Moines to San Juan it is $1285 for 2 people.

Saving as much money as you say you can by flying the same day, would be tempting, but if for some reason the flight was delayed - I'd be pretty upset so I would probably pay the extra money and fly a day early.

Unfortunately, KYWOMANCRUISIN, there are no nonstop flights between Cincinnati and SJU and, as you are finding out, those connecting flights that exist are around $600. You are further hampered by the fact that CVG isn't served by a "low fare" carrier such as Southwest or JetBlue. With a fair amount of inconvenience, you could get fares in the high $400 range by flying Southwest from Columbus to Ft. Lauderdale and arranging a connecting flight to SJU. Besides moving, your next best option is to hope that something reasonable exists from the cruise line. Good luck.

Our air fare is from Minneapolis to San Juan, but it is with RCCL.....so we will have no idea what air line until the cruise line lets us know...about a month ahead of time....

JMA

Hello!

I always try to put my clients on flights so they get to their embarkation point the day/night before.

But, in your case, since the cruise line is booking your flight, they should hold the ship for you in the event of a problem. As for your luggage, just make sure it's clearly marked & hope for the best. Do you pick up your luggage before it gets to the ship or does it get chekced into all the way to the ship. I'd prefer picking it up I think.

Have fun.

greatcruisinghome

Where was your departure from to get $360 non stop to San Juan? I am having a difficult time finding flights under $600 out of Cincinnati for October 2005.

We are flying from Washington Dulles (DC) on US Airways. Originally we were going to fly on Spirit, but there was no way I was going to pass up a non stop flight.

Archived