Doing Antigua on your own?

cruisinmait

What would be some of the main things you would not want to miss?

I was thinking of using Lawrance, but once you add up using someone on each island it starts to get expensive.

We really just need suggestions on places we should visit and truly not miss.

Personally I always recommend Lawrence because you do get quality and attention for your money and his prices are reasonable. However if you want to do it on your own (I assume by renting a car) there are a few things you should be aware of.

1. Check the car rental prices (WITH insurance) and see if this is cheaper than going with Lawrence.

2. Overall the roads are pretty good but signage can be poor - you MUST get a good map

3. Traffic near the cruiseship pier is very heavy and confusing but once you get out of the city it is really pretty light. I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that you drive on the LEFT in Antigua

Things to see (based of course on my preferences). Antigua has a number of interesting historical sites and some lovely views:

1. English Harbour (where Nelson's Dockard is located). The town is very pretty and the harbour is one of the finest in the Caribbean. Some lovely views as you drive into town - stop for a photo-op

2. Nelson's Dockyard - prettily located, some interesting restored historical buildings, a good (short) guided tour, a souvenir market just outside. Entry fee is $5 (NOTE: SAVE your ticket - the one ticket is good for ALL Historical Park sites - a bargain really).

Up into the hills above English Harbour - a number of Historical Park sites (remember the ticket you saved).

1. Dow's Hill Interpretation Centre: great views, some ruins, a good guided tour AND a sound and light show - Should be your first stop after Nelson's Dockyard

2. Shirley Heights: excellent views, more restored stuff and ruins

3. the Blockhouse - more great views and ruins

After doing the highlights of the Historical Park, you have a number of choices:

1. the Natural Bridge (West Coast) and Long Bay Beach (nice beach, some snorkeling)

or

2. Fig Tree Lane (pleasantly wooded drive) and Taylor's Beach (East Side) or the Hawksbill beaches (southeast coast)

it's not really practical to try to do both since they are essentially onopposite sides of the island

or

3. If you want to go to a beach closer to the cruiseship docks, you could go to Dickenson Bay (personally not my favorite but there is nothing wrong with it) (northeast side)

Other places you could go to:

1. Betty's Hope (Old sugar plantation)

2. Half Moon Bay (very scenic bay in extreme southwest)

Don't try to do all of the above.

Before deciding to do this on your own, I recommend contacting Lawrence to see exactly how much he will charge for your group. His prices do vary somewhat depending on the number of people in the group. You may find he is actually cheaper than renting a car.

• 2 weeks later...
What would be some of the main things you would not want to miss?

I was thinking of using Lawrance, but once you add up using someone on each island it starts to get expensive.

We really just need suggestions on places we should visit and truly not miss.

I agree with Zeno,

Contact Lawrence, He will take you and wait for you as you tour for one low price. He books up quickly so contact him ASAP. If you don't mine his helper Chris. He will do the same. Tell them Grumpy send you.:D

Archived