PB&J and Mac & Cheese on the Allure?

lawyerboy5555

Our 2 year old daughter is a VERY picky eater (which we're trying to work on), and we sail on the Allure in 2 months. Is there anywhere on board to get a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich, or even plain mac & cheese (or a plain grilled cheese sandwich)? The sample kids menu I saw for the main dining room didn't show any of those options. Help! Thanks in advance!

Never been on the Allure but every ship I have been on has had pb&j. However it is not the skippy type peanut butter so if your kid is picky she may not eat it anyway. Same goes for the Mac & cheese. It's not from a blue box. As for the grilled cheese I have gotten but you need to be specific as to white bread, yellow cheese if that is all yours eats.

In my experience if they have the ingredients they will make it for you.

When we did the Australian cruise they didn't seem to be able to find peanut butter on board after the first few days. My DGS was 3 and that's what he wanted to eat, period. It was a pain in the butt to find it on shore. Every cruise after, we pack a small jar of PB and the jam they like along with the kids favorite snacks. Having a cranky kid and wasting your time on land looking for a particular item that you might not find isn't worth the 30 seconds it takes to shove a small jar into the suitcase.

Peanut Butter varies greatly in taste. If you child is truly a peanut butter gourmet ;), you might be wise to bring a jar of his favorite on the cruise. BUT, DO NOT put it in your carryon bags if you are flying!!! The TSA smurfs will ask you to voluntarily surrender (the NEVER confiscate) the PB. It has a density that drives the screening machines into thinking that it is a suspicious substance (I am serious).

There was definitely mac and cheese on Freedom and Oasis, but I want to say my "mac and cheese aholic" dd did not care for it. I want to say there was grilled cheese as well, but I may be wrong. My kids always found something to eat even if it was rolls and butter :eek: I would imagine you could have Sorrento's make a cheese pizza with no sauce as well, kind of as a make shift grilled cheese ;)

Never thought about packing my own PB, but I will now. DS doesn't eat any jelly/jam yet and I'm sure that any dining venue can find two pieces of bread for me. DS isn't a picky eater, but just the ability to have something very familiar may be comforting.

A funny story: One day we asked for a PB&J sandwich from room service. The sandwich arrives and it is..... a slice of bread - the peanut butter - a slice of bread - the jam - and a slice of bread. So 3 slices of bread to make the sandwich. Kind of like a BLT. The kids were game to try it but it left us laughing.

I use this place for all my trips.... especially now that I have a toddler!!!

http://www.minimus.biz/Squeezers-Peanut-Butter-Jelly-Combo-F06-0115400-1201.aspx

and

http://www.minimus.biz/Squeezers-Peanut-Butter-Strawberry-Jam-F06-0115400-1202.aspx

Just enough for a sandwich, easy to pack, and nothing to cart home with you. Even in WDW, any place will give you 2 pieces of bread.... instant sandwich.

And if you decide to go this route, my nephew, a picky M&C eater, ... we would just order hot pasta with butter and add a package of this http://www.minimus.biz/Squeezers-Cheddar-Cheese-Sauce-F01-0715401-1200.aspx Mix until melted. He thought it was good. To me it tasted like Velvetta.

I use this place for all my trips.... especially now that I have a toddler!!!

http://www.minimus.biz/Squeezers-Peanut-Butter-Jelly-Combo-F06-0115400-1201.aspx

and

http://www.minimus.biz/Squeezers-Peanut-Butter-Strawberry-Jam-F06-0115400-1202.aspx

Just enough for a sandwich, easy to pack, and nothing to cart home with you. Even in WDW, any place will give you 2 pieces of bread.... instant sandwich.

And if you decide to go this route, my nephew, a picky M&C eater, ... we would just order hot pasta with butter and add a package of this http://www.minimus.biz/Squeezers-Cheddar-Cheese-Sauce-F01-0715401-1200.aspx Mix until melted. He thought it was good. To me it tasted like Velvetta.

Why didn't I invent those and make a gazillion dollars. What a great idea.

Also skippy (or jif) makes pb singles. They are a 6 pack and like $2. They are about 1/2 the size of a fruit cup cup. The jelly they have there is pretty standard in the little plastic containers like you would get in a restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar child. I have only sailed on Royal Caribbean once and they did not have any peanut butter, I asked and was told it was due to allergy issues. So now I always pack a small jar of PB in my suitcase. Also, not sure what kind of jelly your family eats but the other cruise lines we have sailed offer their PB&J with grape jelly unless you ask otherwise. My girls eat Strawberry. Our children eat Kraft Dinner for their Mac and Cheese and they have never liked the Mac and Cheese on any cruise ship we've been on! That being said, they have never starved while we're away, just have to be more creative than normal. We always take an extra box of cereal at the breakfast buffet and this sometimes comes in handy for those times when none of the other foods are cutting it. I also pack some snacks from home, silly as that is with all the free food on the ship, but picky eaters are used to their brands!!! A happy non hungry child equals happy cruise:)

We were on Oasis in June with our 3 year old. I didn't see any peanut butter, but will admit that I didn't look very hard. I think bringing your own is a safe bet!

Grilled cheese. Ah, the quest. First of all, it is not on the menu in the dining room. It is, however, on the room service menu. We ordered it several times. I would say it was not my son's favorite grilled cheese -- it was just a little weird. I can't really explain it, but it wasn't very good. He ate it a couple of times, but kind of rejected it on occasion as well. The grilled cheese at Johnny Rockets, however, was very good. But you have to pay there.

I'm not sure what other peoples' experience has been at Johnny Rockets, but we took our 3 year old and there were also 3 adults. They did NOT charge us a cover charge for our son's meal...only the 3 adult meals. We were pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure if your picky eater will eat chicken nuggets at all, but they have them (for free) at the Boardwalk Bar. They also had fruit cups there...fruit + chicken nuggets = dinner for a 3 year old.

Have fun!

Archived