Review of Kayak and Snorkel Eco Adventure

chocolatemaniac2

My family of 4 - myself, hubby, son 17 and daugher 15 - were on the Serenade of the Seas March 19-26.

We really enjoyed this excursion. The only drawback was that they load you onto vans and you have about a 15 minute ride to the other side of the island where their base is. It's during this trip that you can really see the poverty on the island. But the driver was talking the whole time, explaining what things were and how things worked on the island, so it was very informative.

Two parts to this excursion. There were 4 skiffs - flat-bottomed boats, and people were divided among them.

Two boats did the snorkeling part first, Two did the kayaking part first, so as to not overcrowd either area.

We snorkeled first. Motored over to a small island, where we climbed up a path and had a fantastic view of the main island and many smaller ones. Then we snorkeled from the beach over to another small island - lots of fish, coral, etc.

After snorkeling, we motored over to another island, where they was a floating platform. We got off there, and loaded onto 2 person kayaks. Our guide lead us around the perimeter of the islands, stopping to tell us about the important of the mangrove trees that grew all along the shore, pointed out sand dollars, upside-down jellyfish (lifted one out for us to see), starfish. It was beautiful and you could tell that they really cared about the ecology of their island.

The last couple hundred yards they had a kayak race back to the platform for all who wanted to participate. My husband and son won, and recieved a packet with a book on Antigua, a certificate saying they were champion kayakers, and a beautiful color map of the island.

I would recommend this excursion.

Archived