Thinking of booking my first Royal Caribbean cruise

Now that you've chosen.....Majesty had the best food of any RCCL ship we've been on. Their Compass Deli is fantastic, upstairs in the Windjammer.

Go to the aft of the ship on the top deck and walk down the stairs until you come to a promenade deck that wraps the aft. It's almost a secret. We pulled deck chairs from the side of the ship back there and had champagne all by ourselves before sailaway. Nobody finds it. It was like having our own 50 ft balcony!

I have to say, I have no doubt you'll book another cruise on one of the bigger ships as soon as you can. She's a great little ship.

Well, the verdict is: I'm going on the Majesty of the Seas. I read what everyone says about the ship being older but really, the price, length, and dates work perfectly. It'll be my birthday weekend and my friend that's going really can't get more than 2 days off from work. Plus the price is perfect for her. The length is perfect for me also. I can take this 3 night without buring any vacation leave which is a plus because I have 2 land based vacations already booked for May 2012 and July 2012.

So anyway, I'll be booking tonight as soon as my friend calls me back.

Thanks for all the input.

Congratulations.......personally........I think you made a good decision. But then again, I have only one experience on Carnival, and many on Royal Caribbean, including the Majesty.

What cabin catagory did you decide on?? I think that everyone warned you that the cabins are smaller than the ships built in the 2000's. Someone suggested an SO cabin.....they do have decent space.

JS's and up are the only cabins that have balconies.

The crew, IMHO is the best that Royal Caribbean has to offer. It's incredible that some have been with the ship since she started in service, which includes cooks, laundry personel, to some that are now junior officers in the hotel side, that have no desire to go to any other ship.

And the Majesty has some of the best food in the fleet, thanks to a long standing executive chef......again that does not want to leave "his" ship for any other.

Please come back after your cruise.......and give us your opinion......of cruising, and cruising on the Majesty.

Bon Voyage!!:D:)

Rick

Yes REALLY!!! Your a CCL person though that has not done a RCL cruise yet. So you can't compare yet. I don't have it listed but I have done 3 carnival and 3 Royal cruises. So I can compare!

I have done both.

I am assuming you mean that Carnival=Target and Macy's=Royal Caribbean?

I am assuming you mean that Royal is better than Carnival? The other alternative is that you think Royal tends to be overpriced.

I don't think that is a true comparison. They are both good products - that are about on par with each other. You also need to compare apples to apples not apples to oranges.

For instance, you cannot compare the Majesty or Monarch with the Carnival Breeze, just as you cannot compare the Carnival Fantasy to the Oasis.

Well, the verdict is: I'm going on the Majesty of the Seas. I read what everyone says about the ship being older but really, the price, length, and dates work perfectly. It'll be my birthday weekend and my friend that's going really can't get more than 2 days off from work. Plus the price is perfect for her. The length is perfect for me also. I can take this 3 night without buring any vacation leave which is a plus because I have 2 land based vacations already booked for May 2012 and July 2012.

So anyway, I'll be booking tonight as soon as my friend calls me back.

Thanks for all the input.

You made a very good choice. I have been on all the 3 nighter ships out of Miami and Majesty is the one I keep returning to. In my opinion, it is the best managed, cleanest, and friendliest of the 3 cruise lines doing 3 nighters.

I think the best word of advice in this thread is booking a higher category room. If you can do a suite, great. The balcony is great. But if not, the SO is the way to go. Otherwise, you have to be very careful where you book on this ship. Deck 6 OV has the running track over you. Deck 7 OV looks right out at the track and you have no privacy. And anything under the SO (deck 9) category is very small.

Compass Deli has delicious food. I recommend the deli as an alternative to the Windjammer. You will avoid crowds.

Speaking of crowds, that's one thing you may notice different between RCI and CCL ships. RCI does not pack in as many people on their ships as CCL, so your space ratio will be greater.

Coco Cay, itself, is worth booking Majesty.

Enjoy your cruise.

We got an interior room. We're on deck 2. To be honest, we were trying to keep expenses to a minimum. I don't spend much time in the room anyway, so I'm not concerned about the cabins being small. I'm excited.

The one thing I am concerned about is that I booked during the WOW sale so we only had to put $50 each down as a deposit. On the phone we were told we have to pay the cruise off by Dec. 5th. I was just looking over the cruise documents emailed to me and it says we have to pay the remaining deposit by the 8th. That wasn't mentioned on the phone and it seems a bit misleading to let you pay a 50% deposit on the 5th and make you pay the rest by the 8th. I'm going to call to clarify.

I am assuming you mean that Carnival=Target and Macy's=Royal Caribbean? I don't think she meant "better", just different with a higher quality. And I happen to agree! I also shop Target as well as Macy's, but I am shopping for a different product in each store. I wouldn't go to Target to buy Louis Vuitton would I? But I go there regularily to get a lot of household things.

I am assuming you mean that Royal is better than Carnival?

For instance, you cannot compare the Majesty or Monarch with the Carnival Breeze, just as you cannot compare the Carnival Fantasy to the Oasis.

You may not but I can. Even if you "compare" Breeze or Magic to Oasis, IMHO there is no comparison. Carnival chooses to design their ships with the same tired Vegas look they have always used. Except Breeze and Magic, are thank God, being upscaled using more subtle colors and appointments. But RCCL ships have been designed from day one to reflect refinement and culture. I never saw one piece of artwork in any hallway or elevator bay on my Carnival cruise, nothing but eye watering primary colored geometric shapes on wallpaper. On all the RCCL ships, old and new, there are exquisit artworks all over the place, even in the hallways. The colors and appointments are much more tasteful. That just scratches the surface. But, its MHO not yours. Don't try to change the opinions here on an RCCL board. Go back to the Carni board and rejoice with your friends there and celebrate your favorite brand just we do here. But is it fair to come here and object to the opinions of people who obviously are on the RCCL boards because they love it? I didn't go to your boards and complain and criticize Carnival. I expect the same courtesy. Personally, we will never waste our money on a Carnival cruise again. And that's just the way we see it. You can certainly vow never to cruise RCCL again. So be it. Live and let live.

No, no, no is absolutely right! The Majesty is NOT a good ship to choose for your 1st RCI cruise. I had cruised 3 times on the Adventure Class when I finally talked my fiancé into going on his 1st cruise. We didn't have very much vacation time, so we chose the Majesty of the Seas....BIG mistake! My fiancé hated it & I was so disappointed! :(

The ship was just so small and as others have said, it's missing some of the amenities. For example, I love the Promenade...& the Majesty doesn't have 1! I enjoy getting a desert & coffee in the evening & It's a great place to "people watch".

Needless to say, I was able to redeem myself...my fiancé & I cruised on the Navigator & he loved it...yeah!!

I realize everyone has their own opinion & some prefer the smaller ships...

Whichever you choose...have a great time!!!

Many cruises on RCCL, Carnival and others (NCL, Costa, Dolphin Lines). Major differences to me are more live music on Carnival; more fun games in the showroom. Food was very equal and both have horrible food in the buffets. MDR food was very, very good on both.

Carnival left room service trays in the hallways for hours and hours. RCCL does not. However, Carnival ships have laundries so if you happen to have a sea day, you can bring all the clothes home clean :)

The differences are very minor. I will say on my Carnival cruise in March, I booked early saver and wound up with a ton of OBC. That has never happened to me on RCCL. And yet, I am booked on NOS for June. Happy with either line.

:)

We got an interior room. We're on deck 2. To be honest, we were trying to keep expenses to a minimum. I don't spend much time in the room anyway, so I'm not concerned about the cabins being small. I'm excited.

The one thing I am concerned about is that I booked during the WOW sale so we only had to put $50 each down as a deposit. On the phone we were told we have to pay the cruise off by Dec. 5th. I was just looking over the cruise documents emailed to me and it says we have to pay the remaining deposit by the 8th. That wasn't mentioned on the phone and it seems a bit misleading to let you pay a 50% deposit on the 5th and make you pay the rest by the 8th. I'm going to call to clarify.

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise. You will love the Majesty's service. She holds her age well. By all means call, but be assured you have 60 days untill final payment. The website has been telling me to make a deposit every time I log on for a year now. Finally I will make final payment the 15th Of Dec. Have a great cruise.:)

I love RCCL! In fact I love Majesty OTS. Yes it is smaller but it was our first Royal cruise in 2001, on our 10th ann. now we are returning on our 20th anniversary in 17 days. I know the ship and can't get lost like some of the bigger ones. The staff is wonderful, Its homey and you can get to know people. I just miss some of the perks of the larger ships like the conceirge lounge.....but we absolutely love CoCo Cay, the snorkeling and kayaking, not to mention the American BBQ. This is the main reason we like Majesty for this private peaceful island. Love Enchantment too! Book it and have fun! :D

Vitality08, If you can afford $30.00 each I checked out the 3 Feb. cruise. I think this is your's. The I cat has the same size rooms but there is a few cabins left that are in between lifeboats and have a great ocean view! 8508,8038,8572,8096,8696. If I cant get deck nine, these are my favorite rooms. Thay charge lower because they are obstructed. Not all though. I learned this here on cc ten years ago:D

Vitality...enjoy! Let us know what you think.

[quote name='hazeleyez3'][COLOR=red]I have not sailed on the ship; however, as a pp said, its the oldest ship.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]I don't know if she will truly give you a "taste" of what a RCI cruise is like.[/COLOR] My thought is that the Vision or Radiance class are about on par with some of Carnival's ships.

[COLOR=red]You won't see a lot of the bells and whistles (at least in my eyes) until you get to the Voyager.[/COLOR]

What I can tell you is that I have cruised both Carnival and Royal. I prefer Royal; however, I still like Carnival -we did the Carnival Miracle last year (after a few Royal cruises) and still had a wonderful time.[/quote]

[quote name='BecciBoo'][SIZE=3]O no, you musn't! To truly give you the WOW you have got to book a 7 day! Don't worry, you will not be disappointed! [COLOR=red]We loved Majesty, but she is one of the oldest ships in fleet. I recommend at least Voyager class to get the most representative of ships. But Freedom or Oasis/Allure would be even better.[/COLOR] There was another thread comparing the lines using cars as an example, like Kia versus Lexus or something like that. Based on our one Carnival cruise, I agree with that assessment. Rccl will definitely give you the WOW factor. Ships are elegant, well laid out and activities a step up. Food is definitely a step up. Service is excellent. Although others disagree, you will have to make up your own mind. So why not book a 7 day on one of the newest ships to compare. Can't wait to see what you say next year! Enjoy![/SIZE][/quote]

[quote name='BecciBoo'][SIZE=3][COLOR=red][COLOR=black]You may not but I can. Even if you "compare" Breeze or Magic to Oasis, IMHO there is no comparison. Carnival chooses to design their ships with the same tired Vegas look they have always used. Except Breeze and Magic, are thank God, being upscaled using more subtle colors and appointments. But RCCL ships have been designed from day one to reflect refinement and culture. I never saw one piece of artwork in any hallway or elevator bay on my Carnival cruise, nothing but eye watering primary colored geometric shapes on wallpaper. On all the RCCL ships, old and new, there are exquisit artworks all over the place, even in the hallways. The colors and appointments are much more tasteful. That just scratches the surface. But, its MHO not yours. [/COLOR][COLOR=red]Don't try to change the opinions here on an RCCL board. Go back to the Carni board and rejoice with your friends there and celebrate your favorite brand just we do here. But is it fair to come here and object to the opinions of people who obviously are on the RCCL boards because they love it? I didn't go to your boards and complain and criticize Carnival. I expect the same courtesy. Personally, we will never waste our money on a Carnival cruise again. And that's just the way we see it. You can certainly vow never to cruise RCCL again. So be it. Live and let live[/COLOR].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

LOL....Gotta thank you for the laugh Becci.

Let's see, I said that Majesty wouldn't really give a good idea of the Royal you hear about today...that those bells and whistles aren't until the Voyager class. You recommended at least the Voyager class to get the idea of what Royal is about. Sounds like I am trying to change your mind, doesn't it?

You gave reasons and explainations in both of your posts as to your thoughts. Michelle did not. Since I don't know her reasons it is a little hard to change them.

I simply said [B][I]I didn't think[/I][/B] the Macy's vs Target was accurate. :)

[quote name='cruzin76']Vitality08, If you can afford $30.00 each I checked out the 3 Feb. cruise. I think this is your's. The I cat has the same size rooms but there is a few cabins left that are in between lifeboats and have a great ocean view! 8508,8038,8572,8096,8696. If I cant get deck nine, these are my favorite rooms. Thay charge lower because they are obstructed. Not all though. I learned this here on cc ten years ago:D[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it and run it past my friend. I'm excited about the trip. I know most things are what you make of it, and I plan on making the most of it.

[quote name='Vitality08']Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it and run it past my friend. I'm excited about the trip. I know most things are what you make of it, and I plan on making the most of it.[/quote] Looks like prices went up:( Have a great cruise!

Archived