Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

I'm not a wine connoisseur, but I had no problem with the quality of wine served at lunch and dinner on the cruise. The beers offerings were typical beers, as I recall. Remember, you also get unlimited bottled water and there is a cappuccino/latte machine available for anyone to use. So in my mind, it would only make sense to buy the beverage package if you really want more (and better) wine options or you expect to drink 4 or more mixed drinks per day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We arrived in Beijing on monday. Staying at the grand hotel Beijing. Our room overlooks the forbidden city. Staff is outstanding and the location is great. Tuesday we had our first tour with Sunflower Lee. She is everything and more. It was like spending the day with my daughter. She is fun, professional, knowledgeable and a mother hen. We went to Jingshan park. The view from the top hill of the forbidden city, drum and bell tower and Beijing is worth the climb. Also went to Behai park to see the 5 pavilions and 9 dragon screen. The best part is all of the groups of people everywhere singing or dancing. They are just free spirits enjoying life. Some in customes some all decked out it was great. If you only have one day extra in Beijing go to one of these parks in the morning and experience this. You will instantly fall in love with the people. Sunflower took as to the hutong market where everyone was buying their staples for the days meal. They do this everyday. We also saw a really beautiful hutong hotel that was a generals house renovated. It had five courtyards with Kori ponds and gardens. Wish I wouldn have known would have been a great place to stay. Day was clear and beautiful. Temps in the 70's. No problem with ATMs and a mall with food court right down the road. Took taxi most places. Traffic is crazy but the bikes and mopeds are the worst. They do not obey any of the traffic rules. What a great first .day.

The first picture is of the outlets on the Viking Emerald. The second picture is the outlet at Fairmont in Shanghai and the final is the St. Regis in Lhasa. The other hotels were similar. We did not need any adaptors. I hope this helps.

P1040440.JPG.ebbb3914a3e1e454b69b35b7a7281b99.JPG

P1050287.JPG.b8c5161f807a423d5c64397447b93b69.JPG

P1040246.JPG.d8abdaaed752275a7c2139c0cc2704dc.JPG

The first picture is of the outlets on the Viking Emerald. The second picture is the outlet at Fairmont in Shanghai and the final is the St. Regis in Lhasa. The other hotels were similar. We did not need any adaptors. I hope this helps.

If an device can only take 120V, is a converter needed? In other words, did all those outlets only have 240V?

Edited by caribill

Today Sunflower met us with a driver and we went about an hour and a half outside of Beijing to the great wall at mutianyu. There is a lower parking lot where you have to pass by many vendors, wait in line and pay 15rmb for one way ride to the upper lots. Sunflower talked us right past the guards because we had reservations at Subway - yes the sandwich shop and the only food place. We were dropped right off at the top lot. There is quite a hill to get you to the cable cars but once you get to the top on the right is an elevator so you don't have to climb all the stairs. The cable ride had some beautiful views and we were actually in the same car President Clinton rode. That's what the glass said anyway. At the top to the left you can walk up to several towers quite a distances but you must come back the same way. We went to the right to walk to the tobbagan ride. My husband has some difficulty with walking so he didn't go too far. He took some photos people watched and than took the cable car back down. Sunflower and I walked the forty minutes through about ten watch towers to the slide. It can be tricky and up stinks but if you take your time and rest it is doable Being October the leaves were changing and it was a clear beautiful day. The tobaggan ride is great fun. At the bottom you can have your picture taken with Chinese warriors for 10 yuan. We had our sandwiches on a nice terrace and our driver again picked us up at the top lot. All of the people waiting in long lines for the bus back looked at us like we were royalty. It is good to be king.:)

Next stop was ming tomb and the sacred way. A beautiful ride through the country and an amazing tomb. Smaller than the forbidden city but you can go inside. Bathrooms have not been a problem and sunflower always has toilet paper. Our hotel has several plug options and my adaptor works fine.

So, we arrived in Beijing yesterday and had first organized day of the tour today.

All has gone very well so far, weather is perfect, warm and dry and air quality is very good as well.

Yesterday we had a free day so we made plans to get some Peking duck in the evening as we knew we are going to be at BSK on Friday when the optionsl Peking duck evening is planned for everyone else.

We went to the Horizon restaurant which is attached to theKerry Hotel and specializes in duck. The meal was excellent and at only 480 RMB for two of us worked out cheaper than the'official' duck evening.

Today the visit to Tiananmem Square and the optional Summer Palace visit both went very well, the boats were still running on the lake so that was a bonus as well.

Re the electricity question, the hotel sockets do not deliver 110V but do accept pretty much every plug I own :)

... Also forgot to mention that lunch today was at the Hotel Nikko, excellent quality with a wide variety of food on offer.

I know that some in the past have mentioned that the lunches were not always great, but we are off to afoot start.

Dinner tonight for everyone was in their hotels. For us that means the excellent buffet at the Kerry Hotel. Fantastic selection iwith many items cooked fresh for you.

Tomorrow we have an early start as we head for the wall ...

Luving these "real time" updates from travelers ~ thank you all! We are not traveling with Viking but we are traveling to China soon.

We are responsible for ~ 4/5 dinners on our own. Is 480 RMB for a dinner normal? That sounds high to me. We are not planning on anything "special" since we paid our tour provider for the Peking Duck dinner night so other nights will be whatever is in the area, near the hotel, or at the French Concession area in Shanghai.

Luving these "real time" updates from travelers ~ thank you all! We are not traveling with Viking but we are traveling to China soon.

We are responsible for ~ 4/5 dinners on our own. Is 480 RMB for a dinner normal? That sounds high to me. We are not planning on anything "special" since we paid our tour provider for the Peking Duck dinner night so other nights will be whatever is in the area, near the hotel, or at the French Concession area in Shanghai.

$78.24 (US) does sound like a lot; I had expected prices to be much lower in China - guess it all depends on where you dine.

$78.24 (US) does sound like a lot; I had expected prices to be much lower in China - guess it all depends on where you dine.

In 2010 we paid 71 Yuan (about $11 then) for dinner for two at a restaurant in a mall near our Shanghai hotel. I am sure prices are higher now, but I expect they are still relatively low.

If you eat where American tourists normally go, the prices may be high.

Yesterday we did the summer palace with the dragon boat ride. They said the boats stop Nov. 11. Summer palace is really worth seeing with the long corridor, Marco polo bridge and the prison rooms were the Dowager imprisoned her emperor nephew. We also went to the Lama temple. It is run by monks and there are many buddas. The largest is 26 meters and made of out if one piece of wood. Last night we had the Peking duck at Da Dongs. It was great. The bill for three is us was 352. Which is about $56.00. We walked around the open food market and downtown.

We have used taxis quite a bit and they are usually worth the money. Took out 2000 rmb when we arrived on Monday and just replenshed today. This included all taxis, entrance for two to all attractions including the cable car and tobbagan slide at the wall, all meals including lunch for our guide, a few souveniors, cokes and water, some tips and the duck dinner last night. I haven't used any credit cards. I think the money goes pretty far. The ATM's are very easy and you can withdraw up to 2400 rmb at a time. The English side is on the left. You must hit quit to get your card back.

One last tip. You may already know this but download Viber and friends and family download. It is a free app and you can call send messages a d even photos from your phone for free. All you need is a WiFi connection. I have bee able to cally granddaughter for her birthday and message back and forth with my kids

They love getting the daily pictures.

Just got back from BSK.

It lives up to everything anyone has ever said about it.

Excellent meal with excellent cosmopolitan diner companions.

Coco was an excellent and attentive hostess throughout.

We got there using the metro which was extremely simple as everything including the station announcements is in English. For 2 RMB per person each way it is hard to beat and much easier than getting a taxi.

Do make a visit part of your plans if at all possible, it is a little adventure to get there but so worth the effort ...

Regarding the price of meals elsewhere, the duck prices are not going to be a lot cheaper elsewhere and may ever be more expensive in some locations, but for normal meals, if you are prepared to go where the locals go then yes, it will be much cheaper.

If you wish to stay where English is more readily spoken then it's not going to be much cheaper than at home. For example, two tall cappuccinos in theStarbucks here will cost you $9.

Down day. Which is nice to catch our breath. Took a cab from the grand hotel to the Ritz Carlton where we will start our uniworld tour. Cab ride was 30 yuan about $5.00. Had a nice lunch in a nearby mall. Like our fast food courts. Everything in Chinese but they have pictures so very easy to order. Our lunch was 126 yuan about $25 for two. We have not tipped at all with the exception of the tour guide and driver and the bellhop. Usually 10 or 15% is added in restaurants.

Be careful walking around. We were approached at different times by young people who speak English very well strike up a conversation flatter you and want you to come look at their art or they know a faster way I to somewhere. They are scammers just say no and walk Way. Although when the girl told me how young I looked i was almost hooked. :). Having said that I have not been afraid or concerened. The people are generally nice.

Happy to post directions, may have to be later though as we are just about to leave hotel this morning, so I'll post later once we are in Xi'an.

I will add though that we made the journey with ease and did not miss a turn anywhere as even in the Hutongs street names are in shown in English on clear signs.

Ok, directions from the Kerry Hotel to the Orchid where BSK host their evenings ...

First, from hotel to subway:

Exit through main entrance and turn left.

Keep walking until you reach the main highway crossing your path, now turn left and subway entrance is about 50 yards along on your lef.

Enter subway and note the entrance your used, all have a letter so you know which one to use on the way back. This is Guomao station.

Inside subway follow signs for line 1, ticket machines will be close to the entrance barrier and they have instructions in English, just look frothed glide button, bottom left from memory, or use manned ticket booth.

All tickets are 2 RMB regardless of destination.

Go through barrier by swiping ticket on pad. Follow signs for line 1.

On platform each side goes in opposite direction so look at the signs showing which stations come next and pick correct side. All signs are in English and all announce,nets include English as well

Board train and get off in 2 stops at Jianguomen station

Follow signs for line 2, doesn't matter which signs you follow as they will point in two directions, both paths lead to the same place.

Check stations shown to pick correct direction once on platform and travel 6 stops to Gulou station.

At the station use exit B

You will now be facing a busy highway overpass, head slightly to your left to reach thermal crossing then cross under the highway and turn right once across the road.

Continue to the next corner and turn left..

Continue walking until your each a turn on your left into doufuchi hutong

The street signs are inenglish so easy to follow,not always on both sides oft gestures though so check the wall you walk past as well as the one in front of you.

It will take about 10 mins to reach that turn from the top of the road.

Continue into the hutong along very narrow and dark alley, there will be many people around and it is very safe despite how it may look :)

After about 5 mis or so you'll reach the righties into Baochao hutong, do look carefully for thesigns as they can be hidden behind posts. The turn you are looking for is one ofthefew that actually has both a left and right turn option most are one side or the other, not both.

Once in the correct street, walk about 30 yards, checking every left turn no matter how small and you will eventually find throne with the orchid hotel sign glowing at theend. It is about 4' wide so take care to avoid steps and anything else on the sides of the alley.

From here, just enjoy the wonderful evening ahead...

Edited by Mark_T

Just got back from Terracotta Warriors, and also a bonus drive around the enter of Xi'an to see the city walls.

I'll not add to the many other descriptions of the tour, but just a quick comment praising the quality of the lunch.

We've read people on previous tours commenting on the excessive use of 'lazy susan' meals and frankly we are just not seeing it so far.

all meals have been of good quality and most featured local specialities. Only one was a touch less than great (jade factory) and even that was a perfectly good meal.

Today we had a fantastic buffet along with fresh made noodles which added a little theatre to the meal.

So for us at least, no complaints at all so far.

We booked our air today using viking air for our Imperial China vacation. Our viking trips starts August 25th, 2015 ( but leave LAX. august 23) with the Beijing to Shanghai loop and returns to the USA September 6th. We decided to go economy but paid a small premium for direct flights for both our Los Angeles to Beijing and Shanghai to Los Angeles flights.

Fyi. When using viking custom air, you can book your China flights 320 days ahead ahead of your end date of the tour and not 320 days from start of the trip.

Our United flight does not leave Shanghai until 8:25pm local time. And we wonder what options Viking provides for their customers with late Shanghai flight departures? Many thanks on any feedback.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forums mobile app

Mark, glad your night at BSK was great. We cancelled the afternoon of 16th as frankly we could not face another Chinese meal, but I know we missed out. We started in Shanghai so experienced a lot of food along the way. The Fairmont also said our cab ride could be 30-60 mins rush hour. Anyway, glad you had a good time and enjoying Viking.

We thought it a wonderful trip. Our guide Francis superb outside of my altitude sickness in Lhasa. I never thought it would happen to me, but the pounding headache was almost unbearable. I was also well hydrated and neither Excedrin, Tylenol nor Advil did the trick. It triggered almost immediately after arriving at Shangri-La hotel. Did not do the dinner. I rallied the next morning for the Jokhang Temple and Old Town Lhasa. After lunch Francis had the bus go back to hotel for those of us who wanted to rest. Several of our group of 38 were suffering from colds too and mild headaches. Headache came on me again and I tried to fight it all next day with pills solitary in our room. Could not believe I was missing the Potala Palace. We finally called for oxygen tank at 7:30 that night. Relief in 5 minutes. I also felt nauseated. Tank ran out about 1:30 am and I dozed until waking husband to call for another tank. You do pay on the spot - cash - 200.00 RMB/tank. Enough relief to stand in the shower, finish packing and board the flight for Xian.