Tortola to the Baths

Has anyone done a day trip to the Baths on Virgin Gorda recently off of the Zuiderdam? I was just checking ferry schedules and it looks like on Tuesday you either catch an 8:50 ferry or wait until 12:30. Don't want to do the HAL shore excursion for this port. Any thoughts on the possibility of catching the 8:50 ferry when the ship is scheduled to dock at 8 A.M.? Other advice on getting to and from Virgin Gorda is welcome. I did this during a land trip on Tortola but time constraints were not an issue.

You may want to check out Patouche and do a daysail to the Baths. The website is www.patouche.com. The Port of Call board for Caribbean-other has quite a few reviews on it from previous cc'ers who used patouche and posted glowing reports. A group of us on the Zui 4/16/05 have booked the trip and I'll be sure to post a report!

Lin

Has anyone done a day trip to the Baths on Virgin Gorda recently off of the Zuiderdam? I was just checking ferry schedules and it looks like on Tuesday you either catch an 8:50 ferry or wait until 12:30. Don't want to do the HAL shore excursion for this port. Any thoughts on the possibility of catching the 8:50 ferry when the ship is scheduled to dock at 8 A.M.? Other advice on getting to and from Virgin Gorda is welcome. I did this during a land trip on Tortola but time constraints were not an issue.

Olivia,

did you check the ferry schedule from Speedys? I have seen them recommended a few times.

here are the times the leave for Virgin Gorda on Tuesdays.

seeya over at the Baths.

9:00am

10:00am

10:30am

12:00pm

1:30pm

4:30pm

6:00pm

6:15pm

Bill

I check the website also for Speedy's and it is the 2003 schedule. The only other concern I had with Speedy's was a return. They didn't seem to have too ferries to Tortola in the afternoon. It was 12:15 (too early if you go at 10:00) and then 3:30. Considering the latest schedule change for our ship, it may leave at 5:00 P.M.

Bill,

Where did you get that schedule for Speedy's? Everytime I go to their website, it reflects prices and schedule for 2003.

Thanks,

Olivia

Olivia,

here is another link I found.http://www.bvivacations.com/Ferry.html#Speedys

I can't remember where I found the other link. On Tuesdays coming back from Virgin Gorda there is a 2:45pm and 3:30pm.

Bill

I feel stupid. I interpreted the schedule wrong. I guess Speedy's actually ADDS two extra trips on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Right? When I first looked at the schedule I didn't notice the long list of ferries that are Monday through Saturday! Guess we are coming back on the 2:45 or 3:30. That's kinda scary. Live dangerously!

No matter WHICH WAY you get to The Baths, this thread has a link for an absoluely wonderful map. I'm in love with this map! :p In addition there are descriptions of each of the BATHS and it really does give a very good idea of what to expect:

Baths of Virgin Gorda w/map/info (CLICK HERE)

Hope this helps! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I feel stupid. I interpreted the schedule wrong. I guess Speedy's actually ADDS two extra trips on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Right? When I first looked at the schedule I didn't notice the long list of ferries that are Monday through Saturday! Guess we are coming back on the 2:45 or 3:30. That's kinda scary. Live dangerously!

Olivia,

if the ship leaves at 6pm I'll be on the 3:30 ferry. If it leaves at 5pm I'll be on the 2:45.

My son was chatting with your DD recently. :)

O Cruisers,

Thanks for the link to the map. :)

Bill

you will love it...however you get there! fantastic snorkeling! (saw eels, sharks, barracuda, and many colorful fish). I followed an 80 something grandmother through the caves...she was incredible! just remember to take a disposable water camera and not your good camera through the caves (I started out with my digital camera...and had to go back and get the disposable...let's just say that I wasn't willing to risk the camera crawling through tight spaces). I'd revisit anytime! It was great!

We did the Zuiderdam's excursion to the Baths, and we also did a day sail in the USVI. So I'll mix what I know of these two things together.

First, do not do the ships excursion. Though it was well planned, the actual time on the beach was limited to 1 hour 25 minutes. We wanted more sunning and beach time. You are wise to plan your own thing.

Second, I suggest you use this philosophy: Get there fast, stay as long as you can and get out fast. I think there are two ways to get to the baths. Ferry to Virgin Gorda, take a taxi (by land) to the Bath's parking lot and then hike down a weird but scenic path (and for the out-of-shape or old, a long path) to the beach area. Or you can approach the Baths from the waterside by way of powerboat or day sail.

When we were on the beach, we envied the people that would arrive on powerboats or day sails. They anchored out in the bay area and would bring their passengers in to the beach via dinghy or let them step off the back of the boat and snorkel in. That’s exactly what we did at a beach in St. John.

If I could do it all over again, I would do the powerboat directly to the Baths. I would pass on the day sail because it is allot slower to travel by wind. Our day sail in USVI was great but the 90-minute trip each way (to St. John) cut out any extra snorkeling or beach time. But it you like sailing and have the time, try to get a catamaran (because of the size of usable space) so you can get your time in the sun on the boat and spend the time at the Baths snorkeling or exploring the caves.

Also, most powerboats or day sails also let you use their snorkel gear and provide a lunch on board which is included in the price.

That’s all I got to offer. Hope it helps.

Archived