Budapest State Opera Tour vs Vienna Opera

reynoldswrap

We took the Budapest Opera tour last month. We found it quite interesting. . We had 3 days in Budapest before our cruise and found the Opera house on one of our walks.The history as told by the guide made it more enjoyable and you had the option of staying for a mini concert at the end of the tour. the tours were given in many languages but with all the levels and corridors we were never interrrupted by another group. If you have the time go for it.

I am not sure which cruise you are on, but our AMA Amadante cruise which ended in Budapest included a visit to the Budapest Opera House and a lovely little recital ( and a glass of champagne....!) So it may be worth checking if you will already be going.

Beware....very many stairs involved and the lifts are tucked right away at the back of the building and several people in our party actually got lost trying to find their way back from the lift!! Not ideal for those with mobilty issues.

Travelling Pair and Aussietraveler58 - thank you so much for taking the time to respond. We are on AMACello - we have 2 days prior to the river cruise in Budapest and 3 days afterward in Prague. It appears from the detail that we 'drive' by the opera house in Budapest - hopefully they will surprise us!!! Thanks again!

We also had days in Budapest and Prague after leaving the ship - I loved Budapest, my favourite European city after Paris...and that is saying something! You would definitely have tiime to do the Opera House tour on your own - and also Parliament House which only takes an hour or so and is quite spectacular. We went back to several places that had been "quick stops" on the ship's included tours, to spend longer, such as the castle area in Budapest where we wandered right around all the old little streets. Do let me know if there is anything else I can tell you about our few days in either city.

aussietraveler58 - since you asked! We arrive about noon in Budapest from the states and am thinking we'll see the market, walk around a little and rest up!

On the afternoon after the included tour, thought we might go to the Opera House, Danube Promenade, etc.

Did you go inside both the Matthias Church and St. Stephen's Basilica? If you only had time for one, which do you recommend? We have a private tour for the four of us planned on the day we embark the ship - we will go to the Parliament, Gellert Hill, St. Stephen's Basilica, Andrassy Avenue and the Great Synagogue (which is closed all of the days we are in Budapest due to holidays).

In Prague, we also have a private tour to see the Jewish Quarter, Municipal House, etc. Did you purchase a 'short' or 'long' tour of the castle area?

Would love your comments/suggestions - thanks!

aussietraveler58 - since you asked! We arrive about noon in Budapest from the states and am thinking we'll see the market, walk around a little and rest up!

On the afternoon after the included tour, thought we might go to the Opera House, Danube Promenade, etc.

Did you go inside both the Matthias Church and St. Stephen's Basilica? If you only had time for one, which do you recommend? We have a private tour for the four of us planned on the day we embark the ship - we will go to the Parliament, Gellert Hill, St. Stephen's Basilica, Andrassy Avenue and the Great Synagogue (which is closed all of the days we are in Budapest due to holidays).

In Prague, we also have a private tour to see the Jewish Quarter, Municipal House, etc. Did you purchase a 'short' or 'long' tour of the castle area?

Would love your comments/suggestions - thanks!

The walk to the market is a perfect idea for the afternoon that you arrive in Budapest. Your included tour sounds a lot like ours- so mostly on a bus with stops at each place. I would definitely recommend spending your spare time in the Castle area, including St Mathias which is not large. There is so much to look at in the area, good museums, and wonderful views back over Budapest from Fisherman's Bastion. We wandered for several hours starting at the Western end and walking right up to the Eastern end. There are little shops and courtyards to wander into and endless coffee shops. We bypassed the famous ones like Ruszwurm and found cheaper quieter ones! Back on the Pest side, you MUST have coffee at Cafe Gerbaurd. It is absolutely a piece of culinary history.

If you have a night free for dinner, we enjoyed Cafe Kor which someone called Rick Stein must recommend because I read about it all the time on American reviews! but we also loved the slightly kitschy but very authentic Nostalgia Cafe which is quite near. Our AMA Cruise Director recommended it and made us a booking. The Tauk tour people also had a large group there. There was a very good traditional Hungarian gypsy Band and recitals after dinner - I loved it. We also ate at a more casual outdoor cafe on the river front west of the Intercontinental.

Oh I feel very itchy feet coming on just thinking about a few days in Budapest!

In Prague the included tour we went on was the "short" tour - and we went back that afternoon and purchased the "long" tour! Especially as the short tour only allowed you into the entrance hall of the St Vitus Cathedral. This is absolutely spectacular and you must go inside. Then there is the ancient St George Castle, good museums, and the Golden Lane area to have a look at- all on the long tour. Plus a little gem: the privately owned Lobkowicz Palace which has a fabulous headphone tour narrated by the current Duke or Prince. The family were Beethoven's patrons and the museum holds some original manuscripts including the Beethoven Lobkowicz 3rd symphony and priceless antique violins, as well as rooms of antique china and guns. Plus a coffee shop on a lovely little terrace overlooking Budapest which was sensational!! You may have guessed I am a coffee addict.

We then walked down the hill from the entrance of the Castle down the steps to Charles Bridge, jostled our way through 1,000’s of tourists ( it was July….VERY crowded ) and across to the Town Square area. It was probably about an hour’s walk- taking it slowly. The area at the foot of the Bridge on the Castle side is lovely too- narrow streets and little churches everywhere.

The Municipal House is lovely – I’m glad you are going there. It was just near our Hotel, the Art Deco Imperial.

Hope this helps- all these places and more are on Mike Preismann’s photojourney.

Aussietraveller58 - thank you so much for the great info. I had Cafe Kor as well as Gerbraud on our list - have added Nostalgia Cafe!

I was really undecided on the Lobkowicz Palace - will definitely add it to the list - thanks again!

Yes, I've reviewed Mike's site a couple of times - it's fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the AmaCello last year, and will travel with a group on the AmaLyra at the end of this month (October 30 from Nuremberg to Budapest). I went to the Hungarian State Opera House last year to hear the Verdi Requiem (a wonderful experience although I had hoped to see an opera, which wasn't possible on the dates we were there). I highly recommend visiting the building and hearing some music performed there if you are able to do so. This year I am debating the possibility of staying one extra night in Budapest (we are scheduled to depart on November 9, which is three days after we disembark from the ship) so I can attend a performance of "Rigoletto" at the Opera House.

I wrote an extremely detailed report of our AmaCello cruise last year and if you haven't read it, you may find it here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ama-waterways-amacello-danube-cruise-prague-to-budapest-a-report.cfm

Reynoldswrap - there's a lot of information in the report for you.

Linda

Archived