Help with Amalfi

trebornasus

There are 8 of us on the Marina Venice to Rome this month. 2 couples are doing a tour to Positano then Amalfi. The question has come up as to where the ship actually anchors and where the tenders dock. I think the ship anchors off Amalfi and tenders to Amalfi. Another couple thinks that tour descriptions point to everyone going to Positano and tendedring back and forth from the ship to Positano. We leave for our cruise on sunday.

This is our first cruise on Oceania and we are very excited. We have done Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, and Holland America and Norweigen

This is my first post and have found cruise critic to be extremely helpfull over the years. Any other info on the Marina would be appreciated

I will try to post about our trip when we get back. I might even try to list past cruises as eveyone else does at the end of their post!!! I do not post often on any sites.

Thanks in advance!

There are 8 of us on the Marina Venice to Rome this month. 2 couples are doing a tour to Positano then Amalfi. The question has come up as to where the ship actually anchors and where the tenders dock. I think the ship anchors off Amalfi and tenders to Amalfi. Another couple thinks that tour descriptions point to everyone going to Positano and tendedring back and forth from the ship to Positano. We leave for our cruise on sunday.

This is our first cruise on Oceania and we are very excited. We have done Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, and Holland America and Norweigen

This is my first post and have found cruise critic to be extremely helpfull over the years. Any other info on the Marina would be appreciated

I will try to post about our trip when we get back. I might even try to list past cruises as eveyone else does at the end of their post!!! I do not post often on any sites.

Thanks in advance!

All that type of information is in your blue booklet:

234322.jpg

Thanks in advance!

When we were there last yr on the Nautica we tendered to Sorrento.

There was a shuttle (offered by the town) to the town centre.

If you have a tour planned the operator knows where the ship tenders, so no need to worry. You will love the drive & scenery, look forward to your review of the cruise & Marina.

Thanks in advance!

According to your itinerary you're scheduled to be in Amalfi/Positano on Oct 17th. You'll tender off the coast at Amalfi, and the tender will take you to the dock in Amalfi. It's easy to walk around the city from there. You'll find buses in Amalfi that can take you to Positano.

JimandStan point you in the right direction: the blue cruise packet you have received should give you information about specific points along your cruise.

Have a GREAT time! Marina is such a wonderful experience.

We were wondering the same thing as the OP on a cruise last year. The cruise documents in the blue folder does read 'Amalfi/Positano' which did not tell me what I wanted to know. Will I be in Amalfi or Positano? They are about 20 km apart around a point so nearby but still may need (unexpected) transportation from one to the other.

It seemed from reading posts on CC that it can be either depending on the sea at the time. I was re-assured from other posts that the tour guides understand this, watch for this and will meet their group in whichever port O docks that day.

It turned out we did tender in Amalfi. It was a drizzly day. The wind came up and the water got rougher and rougher throughout the day. We went back to the ship in the middle of the afternoon to dry off a bit. The tender was bobbing around. The pilot (? - is that who steers the tender?) sits up very high with his head out through a hatch in the roof. He gets a better view than through the rain / sea soaked window. Every few minutes a wave would strike loudly, or us it, and water would splash up onto the roof and soak the poor man with his head sticking out. He needed googles.

After we re-boarded the ship they hauled in the tenders and the ship sailed off around the point to an area more sheltered from the winds that day.

I can only imagine those passengers still in Amalifi seeing their ship sail away. O had arranged for buses to shuttle them to our new tender location but it would have been quite an eye opener. (check watch, recheck watch, check Currents, recheck Currents)

In May we were to tender to Amalfi but the weather was awful. Instead they tendered us to Sorrento and our scheduled guide met us there. I hope you have good weather. We did the Amalfi coast in a heavy drizzle and wind. I don't know how those tenders managed to get us in, but we did all agree Amalfi would have been impossible. It is so much more open and the waves were crashing. Have fun and it is gloriously beautiful when the sun shines!

We've tendered to both Amalfi and Sorrento on O. The tenders at Amalfi drop you right at the base of the town. In Sorrento the tenders drop you off in the Marina and you can walk up or take the shuttles up the hill to town. If the weather is too rough to tender in Amalfi they'll try Sorrento and worst case possibly dock in Naples.

We've tendered to both Amalfi and Sorrento on O. The tenders at Amalfi drop you right at the base of the town. In Sorrento the tenders drop you off in the Marina and you can walk up or take the shuttles up the hill to town. If the weather is too rough to tender in Amalfi they'll try Sorrento and worst case possibly dock in Naples.

If your even semi-fit you can walk up to the town. You get some of the best views from the path both up and back.:)

There is a hotel on the (right hand) corner of the hilly street ( when you are facing with your back to the water in Sorrento dock) where the tenders drop you off.

There is an elevator there ...that will take you to the top .. no walking up that hill.

Also, there are free shuttles in the parking lot to the right of where the tenders drop you off that also will take you to the top.

Archived