what would you do in Belize with kids - 9 & 6 year old?

rdevine10

We have 2 girls, aged 9 & 6 at the time of our Legend cruise. We are trying to figure out what to do in Belize. I know we can book cave tubing with a non ship excursion.

We have no interest in going to the zoo.

Seriously considering either staying on the ship, or tendering over to just look at the port, take a couple pics and leave.

I am set at every other port of our cruise.

Please help!!!!!

we are doing the mayan temple tour to Lamania with Shore Excursion Group . com . Our boys are 10 & 12. We have lots of beach time and snorkeling at the other stops on Legend, so we thought this would be a good adventure / educational stop.

We too are doing Lamanai with our boys who will be 6 and 4. However, they love spending time (hours...) at museums learning about history, as well as being accustomed to 1+hr travel on a bus or boat. You may want to look into the details of some of the excursions, some of them are quite a long day. There's another set of smaller ruins that you can also see without the 1hr bu and 45 min boat ride each way.

We too are doing Lamanai with our boys who will be 6 and 4. However' date=' they love spending time (hours...) at museums learning about history, as well as being accustomed to 1+hr travel on a bus or boat. You may want to look into the details of some of the excursions, some of them are quite a long day. There's another set of smaller ruins that you can also see without the 1hr bu and 45 min boat ride each way.[/quote']

What tour company are you using? We are on Ecological Tours & Services.

We have 2 girls, aged 9 & 6 at the time of our Legend cruise. We are trying to figure out what to do in Belize. I know we can book cave tubing with a non ship excursion.

We have no interest in going to the zoo.

Seriously considering either staying on the ship, or tendering over to just look at the port, take a couple pics and leave.

Could you tell me why you have "no interest in going to the zoo"? It is a remarkable place, very rustic, with some animals that you won't see elsewhere. And they are in a natural setting. Really neat. And you can get there with a rental car very easily.

You also could rent a car and go to Altun Ha. This is not far north of Belize City and an easy drive.

Another option would be to take the ferry to Caye Caulker or San Pedro. I haven't done this, but I understand the ferry is walking distance of the cruise port. San Pedro is really neat, and if one of the things you do on a cruise is scope out places you'd like to return to, this is a place to visit, because you want to return to San Pedro, even if you don't know it yet! I've never been to Caye Caulker, but understand it to be a more rustic, if you will, version of San Pedro.

We are thinking about taking a cruise, which is why I saw your port. Belize is absolutely the port stop I want to make the most, so I would urge you not to just while away the day on the boat. There's lots of good stuff to do.

Here are links to a couple of photos I took at the Belize Zoo back in 2005:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28228023/P1010089.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28228023/P1010093.JPG

Have fun whatever you decide.

I took my 5yo to Altun Ha last Feb.

The bus ride was ~ 45 min ( he listened to his ipod and took pictures out the window).

We were only there a short time so he was able to pay attention. You are allowed to climb which all kids love.

Then a painless bus ride back to the TV and we were back on the ship in time for lunch.

He loves to tell everyone he met a real Mayan person and saw Mayan ruins.

I agree with Missippian that the Belize Zoo is really a wonderful place. Especially for the ages of your children. It's probably not a full day trip for you. But if you can go and get a guide there - it's not like any zoo you'll find in the US. These are all animals native to Belize and the setting is very jungle like. You will really get a feel for the country here. They some beautiful jaguars that you can almost come face to face with. They are very pro conservation and this is echoed throughout the zoo - in their signs. It's a great thing for your kids to experience.

My husband and I spent about 2 weeks in Belize a few years ago and the zoo was the first stop on our visit and it was a great introduction to the country. There is so much to see in that country, it's a shame that the cruise stop doesn't really allow most people to see what the country truly has to offer!

If your kids haven't been to the ruins, Altun Ha is a good option.

Or try to get to a beach somewhere.

By all means, don't skip Belize, and don't just visit the port. You'll never get a feel for the country, actually you'll probably hate it! Of all of the countries in the Caribbean, and Latin America I've visited Belize has got to be one of my favorites and you won't want to miss it. I can't wait to get back there!

My kids (DS9, DD12) and I visited Belize last February on the NCL Sun. Belize was our favorite day. We used Island Marketing (booked it at the pier) and went snorkeling at Goff's Cay. It was $40 pp, less for the kids (even less if you pre-book and you don't have to get ripped off with the conversion and credit card fees) and worth every penny. We are going back in February. Check it out!

Archived