Tortola Charters haven't responded - Other options for Jost?

tbmrt

I still have not heard back from Tortola Tours and have been reading that others have emailed and called recently, haven't received a response either.

Are there any other reliable private companies who do similar tours?

Barbara

(I posted this on the main NCL board re: Tortola Charters)

I too have many unanswered e-mails and a "no-connect" on the phone.

A client of mine has a marine operation in Tortola; they gave me a contact there to ask if they knew anything...I called this a.m and they have never heard of Bill, nor his boats by name... that he may have been subletting or brokering the charters.

I asked to find a home number but there is no listing on the island, nor is Tortola Charters in the local directory.

They did add that this is "low season" and that many operations close (their marine group was off for all of September)... so maybe Bill took a vacation? :p

Hoping that's all it is.

I'm among those that has not received a response from Tortola Charters.

Here's a couple of companies I've found. I have not used them or contacted them yet...just searching for an alternative to TC.

This company is rated #1 on TripAdvisor: http://www.aristocatcharters.com/cruise.html

This one is rated #5: http://www.voyageescape.com/destinations/bvi/mystique/jvd/jostvandyke.asp

I asked on teh BVI Tourism FB page and here is the answer I got:

My question

Can anyone tell me if Tortola Charters is still up and running? We are crusing to Tortola in November and the cruise board we are on shows many people trying to get a hold of them and they have not responded to emails or answered their phones. It would be nice to know so we can all make other plans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Their Answer:

I'm among those that has not received a response from Tortola Charters.

Here's a couple of companies I've found. I have not used them or contacted them yet...just searching for an alternative to TC.

This company is rated #1 on TripAdvisor: http://www.aristocatcharters.com/cruise.html

This one is rated #5: http://www.voyageescape.com/destinations/bvi/mystique/jvd/jostvandyke.asp

One of my fellow crusiers also recomended Patuche Tours, they don't do JVD but they do the Baths.

I also was told that Tortola Charters could be "off" for the season.

...got me thinking. When you live in Tortola, where could you possibly want to go for vacation? hysterical2.gif

I wrote quite a few other contacts in Tortola today. Will keep you all up to date.

Barbara

Great...thanks.

I still have not heard back from Tortola Tours and have been reading that others have emailed and called recently, haven't received a response either.

Are there any other reliable private companies who do similar tours?

Barbara

Hi! We used kuralu tours to go to jost last oct. There were 8 of us on a beautiful catamaran. We went to a snorkel spot first then to Jost, lunch and drinks included.

Well worth 110.00 price, I would do it again in a heartbeat .

I posted a review on tripadvisor back in Nov. Check it out!

Great trip!

Hi! We used kuralu tours to go to jost last oct.

I have been contacting other companies since Tortola Charters are missing in action.

I spoke with Gary at Kuralu. He was very quick to respond to e-mails and offers a very full day with a nice agenda for Jost Van Dyke.

I would definitely use them, but (sadly) our time in port on the NCL Gem is too short for a full day trip.

Contact Gary at kuralu@gmail.com

re: Tortola charters

Hi Barbara

Sorry, they are no longer in business.. visit the BVI welcome magazine online at http://www.bviwelcome.com to see day tour operators for JVD.

Regards

Josseline

Josseline Joseph

TMM Yacht Charters

1 284 494 2751

Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:32 PM

To: joss@sailtmm.com

Subject: Tortola Charters?

Do you happen to know if they are still in business. We are coming in on a cruise and would like to book a tour to JVD with them.

No response to emails or phone calls.

Thanks

Barbara

re: Tortola charters

Sorry, they are no longer in business..

R.I.P

Thanks...

(I am finding that we may not be able to do JVD on our day there.

NCL Gem docks from 7am to 1pm (!)...last day before return to NYC

Most day trips, I am finding, are 9:30 to 4pm)

Voyage Escapes won't work for me either.

We sail at 3:30pm. Bummer!

I did receive an email from Aristocat Charters. Time doesn't seem to be an issue with them. It's $110pp. I think that's who we'll book with.

Seems like it would just be easier to go to the Baths, but I've read that the water is pretty choppy in winter months. Sometimes the boat can't get there. Even if the boat does make it, the choppy water makes for a rough swim to the rocks.

Hi! We used kuralu tours to go to jost last oct. There were 8 of us on a beautiful catamaran. We went to a snorkel spot first then to Jost, lunch and drinks included.

Well worth 110.00 price, I would do it again in a heartbeat .

I posted a review on tripadvisor back in Nov. Check it out!

Great trip!

we are in tortola in november from 9 am to 6 pm. does this give us enough time to get from road town to west end and still enjoy beach time???

Plenty of time. Gary arranged a taxi to pick us up and bring us back to the pier.

He is great and will be sure you get back on time. If you email him he gets right back to you. I had a lot of questions and he took time to answer my questions and address ant concerns I had.

It was a great day, I wish I was going with you!

Terri

Seems like it would just be easier to go to the Baths, but I've read that the water is pretty choppy in winter months. Sometimes the boat can't get there. Even if the boat does make it, the choppy water makes for a rough swim to the rocks.

Last time we were in Tortola, we had signed up for ship excursion to Virgin Gorda...it was canceled due to bad seas over to there.

We decided to go it ourselves with the ferry, which seemed not to have any problem. We did have a great day at the Baths, but there was some riptides that made the swims "challenging" :eek:

Based on all the input we have from local operators, finding a charter that fits the Gem's 7am - 1pm stay in Tortola is not gonna happen...plus the ferry schedule is ghastly on a Sunday.

So, we just booked the ship's excursion to Jost Van Dyke.

Leaves at 7:15am (way earlier than any 3rd party we spoke to), gets us to the Soggy Dollar and a swim, and back to the ship in time without risk...so we booked it.

Based on all the input we have from local operators, finding a charter that fits the Gem's 7am - 1pm stay in Tortola is not gonna happen...plus the ferry schedule is ghastly on a Sunday.

So, we just booked the ship's excursion to Jost Van Dyke.

Leaves at 7:15am (way earlier than any 3rd party we spoke to), gets us to the Soggy Dollar and a swim, and back to the ship in time without risk...so we booked it.

NCL offers a Jost trip?? I didn't see it on my Dawn trip for December...... if you do not mind my asking, what was the cost... I wonder why it is not on all the ships.....We also had booked with Tortola Charters and now are looking for an alternative.... thanks!

Can't post a direct link due to NCL goofy pop-up

It's called Escape to Jost Van Dyke... $89 a person

(Bill was $55 right? :rolleyes: )

Click Excursions off front page and choose Tortola as destination and you should find it in that list

thanks for info.. I checked after reading your post and it is not offered as of yet on our cruise..... I sure hope they add it.....

What day of the week are you there?

When I did book it, I was (and still am) hoping that Tortola Charters was not the onshore company they used for THEIR excursion. :eek:

My booking did take and payment cleared.

We are there on a Wednesday....... I hope they maybe release it as it gets closer??!! So frustrating !

What day of the week are you there?

When I did book it, I was (and still am) hoping that Tortola Charters was not the onshore company they used for THEIR excursion. :eek:

My booking did take and payment cleared.

last year on ncl dawn our trip to jost van dyke was with tortola charters. that was why we went with them this year privately. our trip on dawn this year didn't offer jvd. if tortola charters is out of business i am guessing the ncl tours will be canceled because all the other charter companies charge atleast $110 pp.

Archived