Regatta March 2012 & Marigot

gma50

Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced being in port on the first Sunday in March when the Heinekin Regatta ends in Simpsons's Bay. We're looking at the Royal Caribbean excursions and wondering if there are any in particular that would be better than others for observing the sailboats during the regatta.

Also, even though it is Sunday and most shops are usually closed, will more restaurants and shops be open in Marigot because of the regatta?

We're also looking for comments on anyone who has walked up to Fort Louis.

Thanks!

The year that we were on the island on the final Sunday of the Regatta it was canceled due to wind conditions. You raise some excellent questions which I am afraid I can not answer. I will tell you that the view from the fort is wonderful and I would imagine that watching part of the race from that vantage point would be wonderful. I would be interested in knowing if the fort is closed off for VIPs and official photographers ect on the day of the race. Another thing that you should keep in mind is the opening times for the Simpson Bay bridge that will be posted on the race website closer to the dates of the race. Both vehicle and boat traffic will be heavy during the Regatta and I would suggest avoiding the Simpson Bay area on that day. Once the start time of the race is posted you will be able to plan your day better.

Archived