Help, binocular advice

Lainey Elizabeth

perhaps a week or two ago, there was a post on binoculars. But my clear preference are my 10x50's. for marine wildlife viewing wide angle are necessary, I also recommend 10 power for scenery.

When evaluating binoculars there are basically 3 numbers you have to be aware of. You'll see them listed as 10X50 or 8X42 or 8X21 or something similar. The first number is the magnification power. A 10X pair of binoculars makes a subject look 10 times bigger or 10 times closer. The second number tells you how big the exit pupil (big lens) is. A bigger number is a larger lens which theoretically gathers more light and will be more efficient in low light situations. (dusk, dawn, overcast)

So, the first thought is "bigger is better" right? Not necessarily. Higher magnification does make things look bigger but it also magnifies any shakiness when you're looking through them. I have one pair that's 12X and if I hand hold them with no support I can see my pulse making them jump. A bigger exit pupil (that's the second number) will appear brighter but also will be physically bigger and heavier leading to fatigue in your forearms if you hold them for a long period of time. I have 3 pairs of binocs that I use and they're all different. I have 12X50, 8X42, and 8X21 compact. The 12X I use when I know I'll have a solid support for them such as a tripod so I don't get seasick looking at the bouncing image. the 8X21 compacts are handy when I don't have a lot of space because they're about 4 inches by 2 1/2 inches by 1 inch when they're folded up and really easy to carry. My favorites are the 8X42 because they have better eye relief when I use them with my glasses. So basically, they're all different and all have their advantages and disadvantages.

The third number you need to know about is price. If you've been shopping, you've seen binoculars from about $20 to over $1000 and in optics more than just about anywhere else, you get what you pay for. IMO, binoculars between $20 and $50 are pretty good if you want to use them as paperweights but not much good for viewing. As you go up the price scale the binocs get noticeably clearer and sharper and are easier to focus. Not to say you can't get a good pair for under $100....but there's a noticeable jump in quality when you hit 3 figures.

Other factors come into play like anit-glare coating on the lenses, rubberized coating, water resistance, that kind of thing. If you wear eyeglasses, eye relief can be a killer on a cheap pair of binoculars. My suggestion is to visit a camera store or sporting goods store and look through lots of binoculars. Some obviously perform better and some just feel better in your hands. You can get some really good deals online but if you don't know what you're looking at, you can easily get burned so go test drive them first.

Lainey...we are also going on Mercury. If I remember correctly, there was some notation of having a pair of binoculars in either the CC class or the suites or both. I know they are probably not the best of quality, so I have been keeping an eye out for a reasonable pair. When are you sailing on the Mercury? We will be in Cabin 1038 on June 3rd. I am really looking forward to this cruise! Nancy

My MUCH older brother's eyes are real bad. I took his reading glasses when he was asleep. I disassembled them and fashoned them into a nice pair of homemade binoculars. They work really well too! I placed the lenses on the ends of two toilet paper rolls and used duct tape to hold them together. Sometimes I use them to stare up at the Sun for hours at a time. Lots of fun!! It's like I can almost hear the sizzling. By the way, I had to make the font on this post big 'cause my eyes are suddenly getting bad too.

:eek:

eBay has a very nice selection of Zeiss binoculars. This is one item that always comes in handy in the car or where ever. In the event you want to save a few dollars go with the Zeiss Jena binoculars. They were made in the original Zeiss factory in the old East Germany. Very nice optics at a discounted price. Another brand that is also very clear is Steiner these are mid way between the Zeiss and Zeiss Jena. As far as what power to buy this is a personnel choice however I would think a 10x30 would work nicely for your trip. Not the most powerful but they also won't be a brick hanging around your neck when they are not in use. I am kind of thrifty (ok cheap) but this is one item that really pays to look at the top shelf. I will echo the above post that some sub $100.00 are ok but if you want clarity it pays to pay, the last thing you want is a cheapo pair that will leak when you bump them which will cause them to fog up. Once they leak they will fog up, however on the bright side you will have an extra sinker for your fishing trip. Again this is just imho.

I have a pair of Bauch & Lomb 10x42 Discoverers that I got at Sam's Club a few years ago for about $60. They are lightweight and waterproof (very important if it's raining). You don't want to go any higher than 10x because even on cruise ships the vibration of the boat affects the binoculars. On small boats in any kind of seas these binoculars are useless and I switch to a pair of 7x32 binoculars.

The fourth number you need to watch is how wide a field of vision each pair has. Some 10x50's are designated wide angles and work much better for finding wildlife and other things that move. I use a Nikon 10x50's for ship use and short excursions, my 8x42's or 8x25's if I have to carry them for a long while since they are smaller.

We have sons who are hunters and they have both asked for Nikon Travelite binoculars for Christmas. We bought them at Bass Pro Shops although I' m sure they are available many other places. They come in differents lens sizes and are priced from around $90 to $160. They are very light and easy to focus. We also bought my dad a pair and he has really enjoyed them. (We are going to borrow two of the three pair when we go to Alaska this summer.) You can look at them at www.bassproshops.com.

My local Big 5 Sporting Goods store is advertising Meade 7x35 Porro Prism Binoculars for $14.99, regularly priced at $59.99. The ad says "coated optic lens, rubber armored". Does anyone know this brand and whether these would be any good for our Alaska cruise this summer?? I know most posters have recommended spending over $100 for a good pair of binoculars, but this SEEMS to be an awesome deal. Can anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks, Amanda

My local Big 5 Sporting Goods store is advertising Meade 7x35 Porro Prism Binoculars for $14.99, regularly priced at $59.99. The ad says "coated optic lens, rubber armored". Does anyone know this brand and whether these would be any good for our Alaska cruise this summer?? I know most posters have recommended spending over $100 for a good pair of binoculars, but this SEEMS to be an awesome deal. Can anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks, Amanda

Amanda, that is not a widely recognized brand so the best thing is for you to go try looking through them. If they present a clear sharp image and are easy to look through, it's a screaming deal and you should feel guilty for buying them so cheap. If you're going to use them for the Alaska trip then stuff them in the closet, why on earth would you even consider spending $100 bucks when the ones for less than $50 would do. On the other hand, if you look through them and it's like looking through wax paper, they're not that great a deal. Good luck.

Meade 8X42 Bicnocular with a digital camera attached. It has a 1.5 inch viewfinder and is SD card compatible. I've tried it a few times and the image is fantastic! The are about the same weight as my 10 X 50 bicnoculars.

I can't wait to try them on my Caribbean and Alaska trips!

Jacquelyn :D

Very good idea, tee-wrecks. I will check it out tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help! :) ...and, ok, I'll TRY to feel guilty if they're worth buying! LOL

Amanda

Hey, I saw that ad too. Let us know what you think.

Skibozo, I didn't get to Big 5 today, will try tomorrow. LOL, my DH said I should just use the binocs we already have, even though they're a million years old and very hard to focus. He's a "don't spend money you don't have to" kind of guy! Hee hee, I'm a "spend all the money I can" kind of gal! Besides, $15 is CHEAP! I'll try to post tomorrow what I found out.

Amanda

Okay, so get a nice new pair for yourself and let hubby use the antiques. Then when he asks to use yours, just say "no."

Seriously, I mention 3 pair of binos that I own and use but I really have 4. The fourth pair are some Bausch & Lombs that are 45 years old and I got my favorite analogy (like looking through wax paper) from using them. The only thing saving them from the garbage is that they were my Dad's and also they look kinda cool hanging on the wall in my office with some other hunting and fishing gear that was his. If I'd been the one to pay for them they would have been landfill fodder long ago.

If you are really interested in wildlife it is worth bringing more than one pair along. I use a larger 10x pair of binoculars when I am actively looking for whales, birds, or other wildlife. I also carry a small pair of pocket-sized 8x20 binoculars with me all the time as you never know when you will spot that breaching whale, and by the time you run back to your cabin to grab your big binoculars, it will be too late. High quality compact binoculars, such as Zeiss or Leica, can provide sharper and brighter image resolution than less expensive larger and more powerful binoculars weighing much more, but are also very expensive. I have found the eagle optics website to be very useful for comparing the various options (www.eagleoptics.com), but I have often found much better prices on e-bay.

In Alaska, waterproof binoculars are essential. Also, unless you use binoculars regularly you should look for a pair with a wide field of view. I have been a birdwatcher for 30+ years so I have no problem with my ultra compact binoculars and their narrow field of view, but this takes practice!

I have never been sorry that I invested in high quality binoculars. I bought my first pair of Zeiss binoculars more than 20 years ago, and they have been used and abused in the worst conditions possible and are just as sharp and bright as when they were brand new.

Ok, I checked out the sale Big 5 Sporting Goods had on a pair of Meade 7x35 tonight. They are nice, rubberized, but pretty BIG. Not something I'd want to carry around for any length of time. The sales person told me that a pair of Barska 12x32's normally selling for $69.99 will be on sale for $20 within the next month. They are nice, clear, much smaller and easier to carry. But, will the 12's will be too shaky? Hard to tell. They seemed fine in the store, but a moving ship is a different story. $20 seems like a small investment if they're going to work well enough. Now I just have to find a way to tell DH about that new set of luggage I bought today...LOL. I think the main reason he doesn't want me to spend money on this trip is because he doesn't get to go!! I'm going with my mom and sister!:DLOL

Amanda

I think the main reason he doesn't want me to spend money on this trip is because he doesn't get to go!! I'm going with my mom and sister!:DLOL

Amanda

Just tell him to work hard while you're gone, he's going to need it when he gets the CC bill!! :D

Definitely the Big "D" in DH.

Thanks for the report. Trying to decide on getting another one, or borrowing a friends for this trip.

Archived