Premium vs. Deluxe balcony on QM2 winter crossing

goldengatecruisers

Hello Cunarders!

Its not often that I have to poll others as to their advice over a stateroom selection however I feel I would like to get your opinion. I have an upcoming sailing on QM2 and I am taking a friend on her first crossing - actually its her first cruise of any kind. I have good sea legs and enjoy movement but in wanting to be cautious I booked us into a mid-ship B1 thinking the positioning would be best for her just in case she gets motion sickness. I have sailed before in the protected hull balconies on crossings and actually like the proximity to the water and not having to look over the lifeboats. But I am also aware of the 'cave-like' feel of being enclosed and not getting enough natural sunlight (although I doubt there will be sun on my winter crossing!). Would a first time cruiser prefer more light and having a glass fronted balcony?

Do you think a move up to an A category would be a good decision? I have not indicated that I would want an upgrade on my booking for fear I would be moved into an A4. But in your experience, would a B1 booking get moved only one grade to an A4 or would Cunard move a guest a couple of grades to a non-restrictive viewing balcony? Is the light from the glass fronted balconies vs. the stability of a mid-ship location B1 worth it?

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated as I am curious as to your experience with such decisions!

Thanks so much,

Ashley

Hello Cunarders! I have an upcoming sailing on QM2 and I am taking a friend on her first crossing - actually its her first cruise of any kind. I have good sea legs and enjoy movement but in wanting to be cautious I booked us into a mid-ship B1 thinking the positioning would be best for her just in case she gets motion sickness. I have sailed before in the protected hull balconies on crossings and actually like the proximity to the water and not having to look over the lifeboats. Would a first time cruiser prefer more light and having a glass fronted balcony? Do you think a move up to an A category would be a good decision? Is the light from the glass fronted balconies vs. the stability of a mid-ship location B1 worth it? Thanks so much, Ashley

Hi Ashley (goldengatecruisers)

I would stick with the B1 if I were you, she might not be happy higher up (decks 8,11,12).

Seven days of motion-of-the-ocean on a winter crossing, North Atlantic, might ruin the whole experience for her :eek:

Esp. if the cabin was far forward or aft...

If she finds she has good sea-legs she can book another grade next time.

On a Caribbean cruise a glass fronted balcony might be better because of the views and the opportunity to sunbathe, but on a crossing?

Also, I've never found the "sheltered balconies" dark (and I've had both steel and glass fronted).

Although she might not spend a lot of time in the cabin she has to sleep there and her comfort when trying to get to sleep outweighs all else in my opinion.

Have a great time whatever you decide, Bon Voyage!

I vote for staying where you are. Winter crossings can be rough, and the position of the cabin sounds ideal. As long as she can look out and see the sky, that should be enough. For some people being able to see the ocean on a rough day is NOT comforting. Plus, if it gets windy, you can get fresh air without being blown off the balcony.

Thanks both of you. You make very good points and in fact, confirmed my thoughts exactly. But its nice to hear from fellow cruisers especially those familiar with my B1 cabin selection. I will stay where I am as the seas will undoubtedly be a little bumpy. This way we have the protection from the elements, somewhat, should we wish to be on our balcony. I appreciate the prompt replies :)

Ashley

Being on Deck 6 you have public rooms over your head and you can be subject to noise.

Drop down to Deck 5. You'll have cabins above you and below you.

The A level cabins available on the sailing are on the higher decks and I guarantee you, if it turns out to be a bumpy crossing you will certainly feel the movement on the upper decks.

I have sailed in B1 category before on deck 6 and must admit to never having had noise issues at all on the QM2. Perhaps I have just been fortunate with my stateroom selection but I have not encountered the noise issues some people speak about. But a good tip, nonetheless ocngypz!

Goldengatecruisers - just to mention that if you have decided to stay with B1, you need to tell your travel agent (or Cunard, if you booked directly): do not upgrade.

BTW, I agree with previous posters in that Deck 6 mid-ship is as high as you want to go on this particular voyage. Regards, -S.

Archived