Barbados - last cruise stop to decide upon - help please

tbmrt

I know I'll be annoyed if we spend $80 - $100 pp to take the catamaran to see the turtles, but yet am concerned about doing Paynes Beach, swim out to them because of negative posts about the push vendors on Paynes Beach.

Also, I'm a decent swimmer, but am a bit afraid of getting caught in a strong current getting to the catamaran/turtle area from the Beach.

Do you think I'm worrying too much about the Paynes Beach scenario?

Barbara

Hello Barbara ,

Our experience was much what you described on our first visit . We ended up spending just as much as a Cat for a taxi ,we didn't figure out the bus yet,

drinks and a small boat that took us out because the currents were so strong around the beach area of Payne's .

We were quite dissapointed with that whole experience , I mean it wasn't a total losss , a day at a beautiful beach but not what we envisioned swimming out past the breakers and frolicking with turtles , Not ! Our next visit we bit the bullet and went out with Captain Ron , who is who we have used many times since and are using in Feb 2012 . Ron is $75 US pp but there are plenty of other operators ,highly recommended on here as well and by Ron as well . Most of them Silvermoon , Calabaza , Captain Ron etc all sell out and it is our opinion because it is the only way to go .

These tour operators arrange your transportation , which is always a worry on your own , feed and drink you while you sunbath and drink in the incredible west coast of Barbados views . Taxis on your own in Barbados are quite expensive as is eating and drinking .

Our trips to Barbados , our favorite port , are to few and far between to have ANY hassles at all . If on your trip you do decide to go it on your own

track what you spend so on your next visit you can first hand weigh it out .At least this is how cheap people like me operate , I read all the post and thought oh I'll just take a cab and do this on the cheap , like I read posted on here , just didn't work for us and we are very strong swimmers too .

Ron has become a familiar friend to us and will just call up outta the blue and say Hi or ask about paint , I'm a painter , so glad we found him . These operators are all friends as well , people of the water , and really go the extra mile to make your day excellent . Have Fun,Good Luck and don't worry ! Ted

Ya Know I should mention that Ron is horrible with technology , just like Capt Wayne in St Vincent . They just don't email back ???? Ugggh it's so frustrating , I don't think they get how people check daily for responses . I always call him anytime I feel like it . His number is 1 246 262 3792 . I don't think twice about calling him from my cell as I've never noticed any particularly hi charge on my phone . Sometimes he's busy and will say he'll call me back if he doesn't call that night I'll call him again . Heck of a Captain , heck of a host , coorespondant?? lol Hope this helps !! Ted

I know I'll be annoyed if we spend $80 - $100 pp to take the catamaran to see the turtles, but yet am concerned about doing Paynes Beach, swim out to them because of negative posts about the push vendors on Paynes Beach.

Also, I'm a decent swimmer, but am a bit afraid of getting caught in a strong current getting to the catamaran/turtle area from the Beach.

Do you think I'm worrying too much about the Paynes Beach scenario?

Barbara

Hi Barbara, we had a wonderful day at Paynes Beach back in March this year. My wife and I took a taxi from the cruise port to Paynes Beach for $20. We hired a couple a sunbeds for, I believe, $20. I then joined a glass bottomed boat tour from the beach for $16, which took us over a ship wreck for snokelling, then to the area where the Turtles gather. Upon hitting the water, the Turtles were swiming around us snapping up the food the boat guides were throwing into the water. The whole experience was truely wonderful and was a fraction of the cost for a Catamaran trip. Finally we shared a taxi back to the cruise port with another couple for $15. We are back in Barbados in early December, guess what we will be doing:D

Hi Barbara, we had a wonderful day at Paynes Beach back in March this year. My wife and I took a taxi from the cruise port to Paynes Beach for $20. We hired a couple a sunbeds for, I believe, $20. I then joined a glass bottomed boat tour from the beach for $16, which took us over a ship wreck for snokelling, then to the area where the Turtles gather. Upon hitting the water, the Turtles were swiming around us snapping up the food the boat guides were throwing into the water. The whole experience was truely wonderful and was a fraction of the cost for a Catamaran trip. Finally we shared a taxi back to the cruise port with another couple for $15. We are back in Barbados in early December, guess what we will be doing:D

How long did you get to snorkel?

How long did you get to snorkel?

Difficult question, I was having such a great time that I didn't time the trip. I would guess it lasted at least 45mins - 1 hour. The first stop was over a ship wreck then onto the Turtle feeding grounds. I didn't feel rushed and everyone said at the end when dropped off back on the beach, have much they had enjoyed the ecperience.

Archived