how bad is the flooding in Bangkok?

bcnvcanada

• 2 weeks later...

Bangkok is a very large city over many miles. A couple of years ago, we spent 4 days in Istanbul touring in a light rain but with some sunny parts. When we boarded Nautica and got back to CNN the top story of the day was the horrible floods in Istanbul! There was no flooding in the part we had toured and stayed in but some low outlying areas in a flood plain were flooded and had loss of life.

Try going online and seeing if there are international news sources that can tell you what the situation is. I wonder if the cruise line would have any information?

I hope Bangkok and all who are suffering from the floods are in a better situation soon.

The flooding is very ,very bad with the water advancing on the capital with the volume and rate much higher than anticipated. Already homes have been flooded and people evacuated - largely from the northern areas of the city.

This week, many people were given refuge at the old airport, Don Muang, which was set up as an evacuation center. These people are now being bussed out of there as the water is threatening the area.

Friends who live on a klong(canal) in inner Bangkok tell me they are fine for the moment but expect the worst of the water in the next 4-5 days so all fingers are crossed for them.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/thais-given-holiday-as-waters-close-in-20111025-1mi38.html

Archived