Question for vets of both HAL & NCL

Traveling Bob

We are looking 7 day cruises in Feb on both HAL & NCL While we have been in Delux Veranda suites on HAL, we haven't tried similar suites of NCL. For this time. HAL's SC is similarly priced to NCL's Penthouse (Large Balcony penthouse, NOT Haven Penthouse). Which would you recommend and why?

Which would you recommend and why?
Let me put it this way: I got to Platinum at the end of my last NCL cruise. But despite the extra benefits that we'd get on our next NCL cruise, we still haven't been deflected from our decision not to choose NCL ourselves, but only do NCL if other people's decisions mean that we have to. And doing my first HAL cruise in a decade this past summer was a bit like coming home. As a line, it's nicer in so many ways. The standard of pretty much everything is higher; and most passengers dress better and behave better. In contrast, NCL has become an "anything goes" place.

Let me put it this way: I got to Platinum at the end of my last NCL cruise. But despite the extra benefits that we'd get on our next NCL cruise, we still haven't been deflected from our decision not to choose NCL ourselves, but only do NCL if other people's decisions mean that we have to. And doing my first HAL cruise in a decade this past summer was a bit like coming home. As a line, it's nicer in so many ways. The standard of pretty much everything is higher; and most passengers dress better and behave better. In contrast, NCL has become an "anything goes" place.

Thank you. Thats exactly how I feel, but I was wondering if it was just me. Also, I spent so much time trying to find the NCL full suite perks on the NCL website, that I gave up and went to CC for some help.:o

Bob

I would go with HAL if the price was much higher--you say they are the same so to me if you chose NCL it would be like paying for a Marriot but staying at a Motel 6.

After trying NCL twice, we would rather stay home or vacation elsewhere than suffer through a third attempt.

Unfortunately NCL isn't the only victim of the "anything goes" crowd.

We use RCI as well and they are headed in that direction. I've noticed a few "issues" on our last few HAL cruises but thankfully not many.

Ditto...

We just returned from a 7 day cruise on HAL yesterday.We also cruised out of NY on NCL this past Feb. in an penthouse suite. We had an oceanview this time instead of a suite but we loved every minute of our HAL cruise. As was pointed out before, the HAL experience is very different from NCL. It was a pleasure to see everyone dressed for dinner and having a set time and same table each nite is what I prefer. The NCL suite experience is a little better than HAL's because of the butler and concierge and being able to eat breakfast and lunch in Cgney's each day. I prefer being served over the buffet experience.

The only reason we cruise NCL is because they leave out of NY for the longer cruises.

We sailed on Noordam when she was based in NY and loved it. Did one cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and cancelled our next HAL cruise because of the airline hassle.

If there was the same itinerary available out of NY on both HAL and NCL I would book the HAL cruise. The initial price of the NCL cruise is cheaper, but iI also add in the price of eating in the specialty dining on NCL because the free dining choices were not to my liking.

These comments are just my opinion-others may disagree.

Yes, we used to like NCL, but not any more. HAL is a nicer experience.

In most consumer surveys HAL scores at least a star and a half higher than NCL. There are lovers of freestyle but not us. Only did 1 NCL and that was because of their compact Hawaii itinerary. Once was enough

Depending on what I was looking for from the vacation, I'd not say no to NCL or HAL.

If I was looking to relax on a longer cruise, HAL has an edge but NCL isn't a non stop crank driven party on longer cruises unless it is over a school holiday.

If I was looking for more life and the typical cruise/resort feel, NCL has the edge but HAL has its moments that are amazing.

If it was the same itinerary, I'd due the due dilligence to compare total costs and go that route. Both offer good value for the $ spent.

Derek

Archived