Well gone and done it at last...

laurakdy

Got me vaccinations at long last!! :D:D

Hepatitis A, Typhoid and Tetanus and apart from a sore arm with the tetanus and a tad under the weather for a day or so, today abs fine...

Azura here I come, 4 weeks on Friday and I cant wait...:D:D

Well done and if I see you on the last day of my Azura cruise, as you arrive for the first day of yours, I'll check your arm's ok :D (I go 2 weeks on Friday for 15 days)

u2cruiser, we hope you have a great holiday and please don't forget your promise to let us all have a trip report on here when you get back. Thanks! :)

u2cruiser, we hope you have a great holiday and please don't forget your promise to let us all have a trip report on here when you get back. Thanks! :)

Thank you Essexlass. I will certainly let you know how the Transatlantic cruise goes and hopefully with a few pictures, now I know how to post them :)

Hia

This is our first cruise Are you flying on the 11th Nov. to Barbados?.

We always take our 2 winter hols. Nov. & Jan. in the Caribbean all incl. hotels

& I`m still not too sure about this one.

Don't think you'll be disappointed in this particular floating All inc (well almost) hotel welshnames.

Come back and let us know what you thought of it. :)

Hia

This is our first cruise Are you flying on the 11th Nov. to Barbados?.

We always take our 2 winter hols. Nov. & Jan. in the Caribbean all incl. hotels

& I`m still not too sure about this one.

Yes we are flying on the 11th from edinburgh...You ?

just come back from atlantic cruise end of sept with azura and envy you going to carribbean and meeting the ship can I come in your suitcase Im only small lol!!!

asked our cabin steward when on the ship as didnt want to get off if I could hide in her laundry basket she smiled and said of course ma'am bless her.

oh well have to wait till aug 2012 now and doing ind of seas hope to go back on azura 2013.

have fun

Got me vaccinations at long last!! :D:D

Hepatitis A, Typhoid and Tetanus and apart from a sore arm with the tetanus and a tad under the weather for a day or so, today abs fine...

Azura here I come, 4 weeks on Friday and I cant wait...:D:D

Hi

Are we suspossed to have these vaccinations, we havent had any

Ooops

Hi

Are we suspossed to have these vaccinations, we havent had any

Ooops

Do you know what these vaccinations have cause the most problems because a while back I put up a thread asking if you needed them. It was very 50 50 with people saying go by what your nurse and gp practice say.

Some saying they never bothered, some saying they were told they didnt need to and others saying they wouldnt dare go without.

So i did the right thing and was told to get Hep A, Typhoid and Tetanus.

My sister who only lives a few miles away but a different practice was told she only needed Hep A but her tetanus was up to date and she has never had a typhoid injection in her life :confused:

But the weirdest scenario of all, my partner who's surgery is different to mine was told quite categorically he didnt require/need anything apart from tetanus and even when he pushed because of what I had had, they wouldnt budge, saying they didnt give injections unecessarily..:rolleyes:

Now can you believe that and we are only within varying miles from one another and one of the main reasons I did it was because people kept pointing out the insurance scenario to me and saying the fact I had been advised by my surgery to get these or they were 'recommended', then if anything happened, it would be my call, so to speak.

Talk about post code lottery :confused::cool:

Our nurse has a poster on the wall listing all the vaccinations required country by country as recommended by the Department for Health. She went through it with me and we could both see what was the official advice.

If you don't feel you've had the proper advice, have a look at these websites where you can read island by island what is recommended.

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/namerica.htm#2ndb

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean.aspx

Paul had to refrain from donating blood for a year once when we came back from one cruise as we had called at Jamaica, so that is something else to bear in mind on your return.

The guidelines can vary so it as well to check each time you travel.

Carol x

I the confusion arises over what is - or isn't - required, and what is a good idea if travelling to a country where standards of hygiene are less than we are accustomed to - such as in the Caribbean. This is where Hep A, Typhoid and Polio come into their own.

The recommendations are changing all the time, which is why the Practice Nurse checks on his/her sites, for up to date information. Some of the sites available to the public are less reliable.

Our nurse has a poster on the wall listing all the vaccinations required country by country as recommended by the Department for Health. She went through it with me and we could both see what was the official advice.

If you don't feel you've had the proper advice, have a look at these websites where you can read island by island what is recommended.

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/namerica.htm#2ndb

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean.aspx

Paul had to refrain from donating blood for a year once when we came back from one cruise as we had called at Jamaica, so that is something else to bear in mind on your return.

I have checked these sites and many more besides but you would think all practices, especially ones that are not a million miles apart would be checking the same sites/system, especially as its all nhs practices...

Thats 3 of us in the same group got different injections now going to the same places.

Archived