To cruise or not to cruise

KellyR

Yesterday, our family dog passed away of cancer. He was 11 years old and a very loving, gentle and loyal dog. It has all hit us very hard. We are scheduled to leave on the Miracle in three weeks. I'm afraid we'll be sad on the cruise. I did purchase insurance. I am thinking of cancelling but it will probably do us some good to get away and get our mind off of it. Has anyone ever had a pet passing away right before a cruise?

Thanks, Kelly

Hi,

I'm sorry for the lost of your pet. I have lost two of my best friends in the past. One was a dog and the other my horse.. But I don't think the insurance will cover a loss of a pet. Go on the cruise you will find you will still have fun.

Carla

yes - go on the cruise. True, it may not be the same cruise it would have been had you not had to deal with the loss of your pet, but you can still enjoy moments of it nevertheless and in a place where you are not continually reminded of your pet.

Several years ago, my husband and I lost a child. We did go away with my 2 older boys a few weeks later and yes, we were quite sad. But, it was good to move beyond that phase of our lives and get away from day to day activities for awhile.

I am sorry for your loss. I have lost pets as well and the best thing you could do is get away and enjoy your cruise. Nothing you can do will bring them back so go on with life and the change of location may make things a wee bit better. It will be sad for a long time around the house. It will take a long time before you stop waiting for them to greet you when you get home. Hang in there, it will get better. You all need the vacation.

I am so sorry but no, our golden is only 1 years and I can only imagine your pain. I think your feelings are pretty raw right now, and in 3 weeks you will be feeling a little better hopefully. It might be just the right thing your family needs, but everyone takes these things differently, so follow your heart. Good luck

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your pet... We lost both of ours in one year (15 and 18), and yes, it was difficult... but please don't cancel your cruise!!! In three weeks, I promise, you will feel better... Your precious is no longer in pain and would want, as all dogs do, their families to go and enjoy themselves! All they want in life is to please and see their families happy!!!!! The cruise will HELP you!!! You are going to grieve at home if you are constantly reminded... go on the cruise, it will be more healing than you can imagine!! Good luck ....

I am doubtful that insurance would cover the situation. From birth (early baby boomer) until last year DW & I have always had at least one pet, dog and/or cat.

Sorry for your loss. But, do have a good time on the cruise.

Charlie

Guest Time2gocruzn

I am a huge dog lover, and I have had dogs my entire life. I have also lost dogs along the way, and I know your pain. I agree, the wound is fresh right now. Give it some time. Don't throw your plans away because you are experiencing grief and despair right now. Getting ready for your cruise will give you something to help keep your mind off your pain, and having something to look forward to always helps, I think. Getting out of the house and getting away from your same ol same ol, and all the things that remind you of your family member who has past, may very well help you heal. Take care and don't make any big decisions like that while the whole thing is so fresh.

I am a HUGE lover of my little furbabies, I ALWAYS put them first and spoil them rotten. That being said, I think you should go because your furbaby wouldn't want you to cacnel your cruise to be sad because your furbaby is now a free spirit and free of pain and sickness. But now you can have your furbaby on the cruise with in spirit.

Our very first dog will be 11 years old in June and we love her more than we ever thought imaginable. She's still in perfect health, but, because of her age, I sometimes think about how much longer she'll be with us and immediately become verklempt.

I am terribly sorry for your loss and can only imagine your pain. I'm sure there will be times on your cruise when you will feel very sad, but, the sadness will be there even if you don't cruise. I agree with the others that you should cruise. I sometimes think animals know they will only be with us for a short time, which is why they give us unconditional love and loyalty.

Most likely, in 3 weeks, your cruise will be the perfect therapy. ;)

Your dog would want you to have your fun too, just as you have helped it to have an enjoyable life too. As dog owners and previous dog owners we do accept them as pets with the full knowledge of knowing what thier life expectancy is already, which is generally 12-15 years... Its a shame we can't have them longer, but that is nature, just as we humans live normally till about 78, its just part of this game of life. There is no shame in going to have a good time, even your fellow cruisers on here wish you the best time, and good luck to you!!!!!

I just want to say everyone has been so supportive, caring and kind. Thank you for acknowledging my loss. As I type this message, I am in tears. Kaiser was a beautiful German Shepherd. He brought a lot of happiness to this house and I miss him. Putting him down at the vet's office yesterday was the most painful thing I had to.

Yes, life does go on and I will take my cruise because you have all made me feel better about it.

Peace,

Kelly

I just want to say everyone has been so supportive, caring and kind. Thank you for acknowledging my loss. As I type this message, I am in tears. Kaiser was a beautiful German Shepherd. He brought a lot of happiness to this house and I miss him. Putting him down at the vet's office yesterday was the most painful thing I had to.

Yes, life does go on and I will take my cruise because you have all made me feel better about it.

Peace,

Kelly

Kelly, take time to grieve the loss of Kaiser. Also, take time to celebrate his life!!! How lucky we are to have the opportunity to have such wonderful companions in our lives!!! People that do not have pet "children" just don't understand. I know this is difficult for you... I can't imagine what I will do when I lose my baby Romeo, however we lost our family dogs last year... Bo, a 15 year old lab on my fathers bday, and 4 months later, we lost Missy, our 18 yo Cocker. However, on Fathers Day last year, although we were all still grieving, the family got Jesse, our beloved Golden... It is odd that she has characteristics of both dogs!!! I beg you to grieve as long as you need to, but I also suggest that once your family has had the time to grieve, that you consider another dog (I know this is not even in your mind right now, and shouldn't be, but in time...) they are wonderful therapy!!! We created memorials for our babies and we had them both cremated, and have a "shrine" of sorts in the family home... It was difficult to even be there for a while, but now, a year later, I always get a good chuckle because I remember something funny one of them did... They WERE our family and will always be remembered so fondly for being such a huge part of our lives. The next few days will be the toughest for you.... in honesty, I slept... didn't want to get out of bed. But each day will get just a little easier. Remember that Kaisers one and only desire was for YOUR happiness... he lived to please you and will be with you always... I pray that you find some peace soon :(

You have without a doubt been a caring pet owner. And, being a caring pet owner myself, I know you have done everything in your power to bring comfort to a loyal pet during these last days. As much as we love our pets, we do not want to see them suffer. Just as you have loved and cared for him..he loved and cared for you. A loyal pet does care for its master..you can see it in their eyes and in their every move. He, like any other true friend, wants you to enoy living, just as you have helped him do the same. The loss won't be gone in three weeks..but you must make an effort to move on in your life. Go on the cruise and take those fond memories of that special friend with you. I am confident that it will be the best thing you could do!

Kelly, take time to grieve the loss of Kaiser. Also, take time to celebrate his life!!! How lucky we are to have the opportunity to have such wonderful companions in our lives!!! People that do not have pet "children" just don't understand. I know this is difficult for you... I can't imagine what I will do when I lose my baby Romeo, however we lost our family dogs last year... Bo, a 15 year old lab on my fathers bday, and 4 months later, we lost Missy, our 18 yo Cocker. However, on Fathers Day last year, although we were all still grieving, the family got Jesse, our beloved Golden... It is odd that she has characteristics of both dogs!!! I beg you to grieve as long as you need to, but I also suggest that once your family has had the time to grieve, that you consider another dog (I know this is not even in your mind right now, and shouldn't be, but in time...) they are wonderful therapy!!! We created memorials for our babies and we had them both cremated, and have a "shrine" of sorts in the family home... It was difficult to even be there for a while, but now, a year later, I always get a good chuckle because I remember something funny one of them did... They WERE our family and will always be remembered so fondly for being such a huge part of our lives. The next few days will be the toughest for you.... in honesty, I slept... didn't want to get out of bed. But each day will get just a little easier. Remember that Kaisers one and only desire was for YOUR happiness... he lived to please you and will be with you always... I pray that you find some peace soon :(

That was really touching. Thank you for your comforting words.

Oh, Kelly-

I'm so sad for your loss. We recently lost our 17 year old "first born" cat from bone cancer. I know that it's an emotional wrench, honey.:(

It'll get better....Kaiser (WONDERFUL name for a shepherd!) is chasing rabbits in heaven!

Try to have a pleasant cruise.

You have without a doubt been a caring pet owner. And, being a caring pet owner myself, I know you have done everything in your power to bring comfort to a loyal pet during these last days. As much as we love our pets, we do not want to see them suffer. Just as you have loved and cared for him..he loved and cared for you. A loyal pet does care for its master..you can see it in their eyes and in their every move. He, like any other true friend, wants you to enoy living, just as you have helped him do the same. The loss won't be gone in three weeks..but you must make an effort to move on in your life. Go on the cruise and take those fond memories of that special friend with you. I am confident that it will be the best thing you could do!

Thank you. When we take this cruise in three weeks, we will do it in remembrance of Kaiser. I had planned this cruise about a year ago and he was full of life then. The cancer came quickly and we did all we could with treatment and drugs and nothing seemed to work. I learned to accept his fate two months ago. It is a relief for my family and I. I know he's not suffering any more.

:( i am sitting here on the couch with tears streaming down my face as I have read this thread....my 6 1/2 yr old boxer is to my right lounging and our 1 yr old boxer-lab mix is to my left with her head on my lap as I research for my next cruise. You will have a good time on your cruise, but I also cannot imagine losing one of my girls and going away..although I would. Losing pets in the past left me crying for weeks....try to have some fun..I am sure you will. So sorry about your loss

Oh, Kelly-

I'm so sad for your loss. We recently lost our 17 year old "first born" cat from bone cancer. I know that it's an emotional wrench, honey.:(

It'll get better....Kaiser (WONDERFUL name for a shepherd!) is chasing rabbits in heaven!

Try to have a pleasant cruise.

Thank you. The name really fits him. He also liked chasing squirrels too. I called him the gentle giant eventhough he never snapped or hurt a living soul. He was such a good dog. I know it will get better as time goes by.

:( i am sitting here on the couch with tears streaming down my face as I have read this thread....my 6 1/2 yr old boxer is to my right lounging and our 1 yr old boxer-lab mix is to my left with her head on my lap as I research for my next cruise. You will have a good time on your cruise, but I also cannot imagine losing one of my girls and going away..although I would. Losing pets in the past left me crying for weeks....try to have some fun..I am sure you will. So sorry about your loss

Thanks, this will be our first cruise. This was my first loss of a pet and the first time I ever had to put a pet down. Hug and kiss your boxers every day. Spending every minute and day is precious with them. This day came too quickly for us.

I am very sorry for your loss. We had to put our gentle, beloved golden, Hercules, to sleep in October. It was so hard, but the right thing to do. All of us, including our westie puppy, were so sad. Each time I lose a pet, I wonder why I put myself through the grief of what I know will eventually happen. Then I realize that the love and joy I receive from my dogs are so worth it.

As for your trip.......don't cancel. Going on with your life and enjoying something truly marvelous does not devalue the love you have for that pet. You have the right to grieve and to enjoy life. Our thoughts are with you.

Thank you for your very kind words and letting me see that in that perspective. I think the hardest hit is my husband. Kaiser followed my husband everywhere even to the very end. Such a loving and loyal pet. But like you said, time to move on with things.

I am very sorry for your loss. We had to put our gentle, beloved golden, Hercules, to sleep in October. It was so hard, but the right thing to do. All of us, including our westie puppy, were so sad. Each time I lose a pet, I wonder why I put myself through the grief of what I know will eventually happen. Then I realize that the love and joy I receive from my dogs are so worth it.

As for your trip.......don't cancel. Going on with your life and enjoying something truly marvelous does not devalue the love you have for that pet. You have the right to grieve and to enjoy life. Our thoughts are with you.

I am sorry for your Hercules and that was not too long ago. I thought it was time for my shepherd to go, but my husband wanted to hang on him for another week. I couldn't bear to see him suffer any more. When a pet is suffering, I think putting one's pet down is an act of kindness. Yes and all the unconditional love from a dog is so worth it.

Archived