Future Cruise Booking vs. Onboard Booking Bonus - confused

I am confused about the merits of the various discounts available by booking onboard.

The information about the C&A Onboard Booking Bonus appears fairly clear with an OBC given per cabin/suite according only to the length of the cruise: 3-5 nights $25, 6-9 $100, $10-14 $150, 15+ $200. No information is given about the deposits.

However, I can't find any official information about the 'Future Cruise Booking' , i.e. 'decide later', scheme on the RCI website. From these forums, I understand that it is $100 OBC and a reduced deposit of $250, again per one cabin/suite booking, which can be assigned to a specific cruise later.

Some questions arise which I am hoping some master cruiser may be able to answer and share.

1) Is my understanding above correct?

2) Is the deposit for a Future Cruise Booking reduced also?

3) If I wish to book onboard a specific cruise of less than 6 nights, am I better (4 times better in terms of OBC) going for a Future Cruise Booking instead and assigning it when I get back?

4) Is the Future Cruise Booking combinable with a C&A Saving Certificate?

5) Are there any other subtleties I am missing?

All answers much appreciated!

I am confused about the merits of the various discounts available by booking onboard.

The information about the C&A Onboard Booking Bonus appears fairly clear with an OBC given per cabin/suite according only to the length of the cruise: 3-5 nights $25, 6-9 $100, $10-14 $150, 15+ $200. No information is given about the deposits.

However, I can't find any official information about the 'Future Cruise Booking' , i.e. 'decide later', scheme on the RCI website. From these forums, I understand that it is $100 OBC and a reduced deposit of $250, again per one cabin/suite booking, which can be assigned to a specific cruise later.

Some questions arise which I am hoping some master cruiser may be able to answer and share.

1) Is my understanding above correct?

2) Is the deposit for a Future Cruise Booking reduced also?

3) If I wish to book onboard a specific cruise of less than 6 nights, am I better (4 times better in terms of OBC) going for a Future Cruise Booking instead and assigning it when I get back?

4) Is the Future Cruise Booking combinable with a C&A Saving Certificate?

5) Are there any other subtleties I am missing?

All answers much appreciated!

Hi,

We've just returned from a cruise and were advised the Future Cruise Certificate deposit was $100 pp, however this may be less than usual as we were on a members cruise.

When you book the Future Cruise certificate you only pay your deposit. When it comes time to book your cruise you will be given obc for however many nights you book (so exactly the same rules as onboard booking ie. 14 nights $200, 10-14 $150 etc). The benefit with Future Cruise is that you can book anytime when you are ready & will automatically be given obc relative to number of nights booked.

When we have booked a cruise onboard we've paid a deposit of £150pp & been given obc for number of nights. We were told Future Cruise cert never expires & was combinable with savings certificates, however if you are platinum or above and booking a balcony you get your balcony discount & can only have either obc or savings certificate if one is available (not both so whichever is higher).

Hope this helps. The Future cruise certificate seems a good deal.

Hi,

We've just returned from a cruise and were advised the Future Cruise Certificate deposit was $100 pp, however this may be less than usual as we were on a members cruise.

When you book the Future Cruise certificate you only pay your deposit. When it comes time to book your cruise you will be given obc for however many nights you book (so exactly the same rules as onboard booking ie. 14 nights $200, 10-14 $150 etc). The benefit with Future Cruise is that you can book anytime when you are ready & will automatically be given obc relative to number of nights booked.

When we have booked a cruise onboard we've paid a deposit of £150pp & been given obc for number of nights. We were told Future Cruise cert never expires & was combinable with savings certificates, however if you are platinum or above and booking a balcony you get your balcony discount & can only have either obc or savings certificate if one is available (not both so whichever is higher).

Hope this helps. The Future cruise certificate seems a good deal.

Perfect, that is very helpful indeed and seems logical for a change. Thank you.

I am a point short of Platinum so it make no difference to me this time but I did notice in RCI's T&C that the Onboard Booking bonus is combinable with both the Balcony & Suite discount and Savings Certificates, i.e. if you are Platinum or higher, and book a specific cruise onboard, OBC, savings & balcony discount are all combinable. Not so with Future Bookings. This appears to disadvantage RCI's most loyal cruisers or rather level the playing field with the less loyal. Back to illogical!

Perfect, that is very helpful indeed and seems logical for a change. Thank you.

I am a point short of Platinum so it make no difference to me this time but I did notice in RCI's T&C that the Onboard Booking bonus is combinable with both the Balcony & Suite discount and Savings Certificates, i.e. if you are Platinum or higher, and book a specific cruise onboard, OBC, savings & balcony discount are all combinable. Not so with Future Bookings. This appears to disadvantage RCI's most loyal cruisers or rather level the playing field with the less loyal. Back to illogical!

Actually it's Combinable with ONE of the C&A Benefits...not both...and it is the same whether you book a Next Cruise Certificate OR a Specific cruise...you can choose ONE benefit along with your OBC...

Actually I missed that you are from the UK...different rules apply to your bookings and I'm afraid I have no clue what they are...my apologies...:o

Actually it's Combinable with ONE of the C&A Benefits...not both...and it is the same whether you book a Next Cruise Certificate OR a Specific cruise...you can choose ONE benefit along with your OBC...

Actually I missed that you are from the UK...different rules apply to your bookings and I'm afraid I have no clue what they are...my apologies...:o

On re-reading the (yes UK) T&C, I agree with you, I was wrong. The T&C are certainly are not as clear as they could be. It is 'take any two from three' of the offers. I stand gladly corrected.

When we have booked a cruise onboard we've paid a deposit of £150pp & been given obc for number of nights.

I see you quote in Pounds. When you book aboard, do you get UK or US pricing? I have noticed they can be very different indeed and reason enough alone to book aboard, if US pricing is available.

I see you quote in Pounds. When you book aboard, do you get UK or US pricing? I have noticed they can be very different indeed and reason enough alone to book aboard, if US pricing is available.

Hi,

It's the UK price you get booking onboard ie. same as the uk website & our deposits are also different from US bookings. Rules are slightly different also, eg. if price drops available we get them up to sail date but US get them up to final payment only.

Yeah you def can only get obc with one of the other benefits (either balcony/suite discount or savings cert if there is one avail).

Rules are slightly different also, eg. if price drops available we get them up to sail date but US get them up to final payment only.

That explains why US prices can plummet near the sail date but UK prices don't. It would be useful to have access to both. Why can't RCI simply offer a choice of conditions as most airlines do now?

Archived