Purchase snorkel gear, any advice?

amandajholden

My partner and I snorkel a few times a year, mostly on vacations. I like the idea of owning my own gear; fins that fit, own snorkel... Any suggestions on what to look for when shopping? Short vs long fins? Any preferred brands?

Also any recommendations on stores in GTA or Mississauga area in Ontario?

Thanks!!

I would check for scuba retailers in your area. They all sell snorkel equipment. Both PADI and NAUI (the 2 biggest SCUBA agencies) list affiliated dive shops on their websites. Also, if you just Google scuba or snorkeling equipment, you'll find plenty of reputable online retailers. I bought my fins/boots/snorkel through divers-supply.com. It's recommended that you don't buy a mask online because fit is important.

I agree, if you can find a retailer in your area, it is a big help. Try to stay away from general purpose sports stores if you can. They tend to have the low end packages, which will work, but generally won't last for the long haul. They also tend to be in sealed packages and you really need to try the mask out for sure and the fins, especially full foot fins.

As for tips on selecting gear, here are a few:

1) If you are only ocassional snorkelers, short fins. They pack easier and while they don't provide the same finning power as the larger or split fins, you won't be working as hard either. That translates into less tired calves and thigh muscles.

2) When picking a mask, stay away from the "gimmick" masks. By this I specifically mean some of the ones with snorkel clips (they rarely are where you want the snorkel anyway). The other common gimmick is the nose piece with the purge valve. These are fine if you are strictly a surface snorkeler, but if you like to make quick trips down to the fish or coral, the valves can invert and flood the mask unexpectedly.

3) I tend to favor low volume masks, but fit to the face is #1. The best way to tell is to place the mask on your face without putting the strap around your head and then to inhale slightly from your nose. If the mask will stay on you face with a slight amount of suction and will not fall off until you exhale from your nose, it is a good fit. Then try it with the snorkel in your mouth. Many times the bump in your upper lip from the snorkel will change the way the mask fits and it will leak air. If it leaks air, it will leak water.

4) Back to fins. Fins with separate booties will probably be the most comfortable in the long run, plus you will have some foot protection on the beach and snorkelling boats. But if you are only going a couple of times a year, full foot fins are more convenient because you don't have to worry about whether you packed the booties (been there, done that :mad:).

5) If you find a dive shop to buy from, ask if they have a pool to try equipment out or if they are going to have an equipment day at a local YMCA or public pool. A lot of dive shops also have snorkeling classes.

The best dive and snorkeling gear is not always the most expensive. Make sure it fits. There is nothing that will ruin a dive or snorkeling trip faster than a mask that floods or fins that fall off.

ken

PS: In case you can't tell, I have been doing this for a while. I was first dive certified in 1973.

you live in what I call the frozen north. Do you ski? If so, then the process of buying ski equipment is exactly the same as buying dive (snorkel) eqipment

Would you buy ski boots off the web? I'd be concerned about fit and quality. Depending on what type of gear you decide to buy this equates to dive boots and/or fins (full foot or pocket)

Skis from a web page .... same as buying fins ... are all skis the same? all skis of a particular length the same? ditto fins

would you ski on 'toy' skis bought from a "box" store?

A mask is a different story as while I'll admit ski goggles are important they don't really match to a dive mask. But glasses do. And a mask is even MORE critical cuz you are looking for optics (I wanna see) PLUS water tight with comfort . . . fit fit fit

Tru tho, few people break legs from a terrible diving accident?

{diving accidents usually result in death .... but that's not snorkeling .... which is like the diving bunny slope}

you live in what I call the frozen north. Do you ski? If so, then the process of buying ski equipment is exactly the same as buying dive (snorkel) eqipment

Would you buy ski boots off the web? I'd be concerned about fit and quality. Depending on what type of gear you decide to buy this equates to dive boots and/or fins (full foot or pocket)

Skis from a web page .... same as buying fins ... are all skis the same? all skis of a particular length the same? ditto fins

would you ski on 'toy' skis bought from a "box" store?

A mask is a different story as while I'll admit ski goggles are important they don't really match to a dive mask. But glasses do. And a mask is even MORE critical cuz you are looking for optics (I wanna see) PLUS water tight with comfort . . . fit fit fit

Tru tho, few people break legs from a terrible diving accident?

{diving accidents usually result in death .... but that's not snorkeling .... which is like the diving bunny slope}

If snorkeling is the bunny hill of skiing then we'll be in the right place. Great advice, thank you.

When I was young, I snorkeled and would dive all the time . I would buy all my equipment from a local Dive shop. Now 37 years later and snorkel twice a year I buy what I call girls flippers(slip ons), noway can I use good fins. If you are a novice I would go to Bass Pro or Scheels Sporting goods. For about $40 you can buy a decent set of fins, mask and snorkel. You can open the boxes and try the mask and fins to see if they fit. If the mask does not fit your face do NOT BUY it. Inhale with mask on your face, if it stays on it will work. We will be in St Thomas and Grand Turk in Dec. I will be snorkeling with my new equipment from Bass Pro $ 39 . I tried them out in my pool 2 weeks ago. Because I don't dive anymore, only snorkel. I consider my self a novice. Good luck, whatever you do. :(

Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated. I've found 3 dive/snorkeling shops and going shopping this weekend.

well howd it go??? We bought all of our stuuf from a local shop with an eye at getting o/w cert which now looks like this spring. My has got the underwater bug BAD;)

well howd it go??? We bought all of our stuuf from a local shop with an eye at getting o/w cert which now looks like this spring. My has got the underwater bug BAD;)

Well funny you should ask!! Yesterday was snorkel gear research day. We went to 2 local dive shops and one "surf" shop (recall this is Canada I live in :rolleyes:). The first place was the local dive academy on Oakville. The guy we spoke to (Dean) was the general manager and he was brilliant. Very knowledgable and had lots of good advice. We tried a variety of masks, checked for good fit and talked about bringing own fins or not. Then we went to a place in the next town over, another dive shop. More selection of equipment but not great advice. Finally we went to the surf shop. Not much in terms of equipment but we got some good water shoes and Brian got one of those rash shirts. They only had kits of snorkel gear there - good price but not great fit (masks).

We plan to go back to the dive academy in Oakville and order the stuff there. They have free demos and equipment tests in their pool there. We know the basic but were really impressed with how much interest and advice Dean was prepared to give us. We're also very curious about learning to dive and might try their mini-lesson evening where you get some basic instruction and a taste for diving. So one step at a time but its good to find people in your local community that have good products and eager to help.

Off to by a new camera case next weekend.... :D

Sounds like you had a good experience. The attitudes/personalities of the people at the dive shop really do make a difference. We have one shop around here where the staff is nice and friendly and encourage a sense of community among the customers (they even have a dive club where they do monthly meetings and plan local dives), and another shop where they're not so friendly. I'm not saying I'd never buy anything from the latter shop (they are much closer to me), but I definitely prefer one over the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived